SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Maosika
Topic Author

Drop The But

May 21st, 2014, 7:54 am

I listen to everyone include myself, and realized that we tend to use the word but several times a days. You?ll use the word to invalidate what you just said, as in: You did a great job, but? Or you?ll use the word to defend your actions, as in: I would have done that, but?When one, "drops the but" they are actually taking the time to recognize and hear what someone is saying which in turn makes the other person feel good. Even if they don't agree with that person, "dropping the but" still makes the person feel as if they have been genuinely heard.You can start using the word ?and? because the word ?but? nullifies what you just said. e.g. ?I did ten things on my to-do list, but I didn?t do the remaining five things?. Instead you could say: ?I did ten things and I have five more to go. ? So I decided to drop the but, and I change it by and. You should see how people more appreciated your advices, and feedback after.

exneratunrisk

Drop The But

May 21st, 2014, 8:07 am

"You look ridiculous at this outfit, BUT this may change in the next minute"Something new, innovative, ... might always look ridiculous, at least for a while ? But it may become the classic of the future.And current "great work" may become outdated.You may want to suppress the but, but don't forget it

daveangel

Drop The But

May 21st, 2014, 8:33 am

QuoteSo I decided to drop the but, and I change it by and. You should see how people more appreciated your advices, and feedback after. your feedback and advice is appreciated.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

tagoma

Drop The But

May 21st, 2014, 8:54 am

Quote"dropping the but" still makes the person feel as if they have been genuinely heard.Really?X: "bla bla bla"Y: "Shut up!"

fulmerspot

Drop The But

May 21st, 2014, 9:38 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: MaosikaI listen to everyone include myself, and realized that we tend to use the word but several times a days. You?ll use the word to invalidate what you just said, as in: You did a great job, but? Or you?ll use the word to defend your actions, as in: I would have done that, but?When one, "drops the but" they are actually taking the time to recognize and hear what someone is saying which in turn makes the other person feel good. Even if they don't agree with that person, "dropping the but" still makes the person feel as if they have been genuinely heard.You can start using the word ?and? because the word ?but? nullifies what you just said. e.g. ?I did ten things on my to-do list, but I didn?t do the remaining five things?. Instead you could say: ?I did ten things and I have five more to go. ? So I decided to drop the but, and I change it by and. You should see how people more appreciated your advices, and feedback after.I should take this advice to heart, but ...Königspudel,Waggy school of dog trainingDegree in bone biology.Major in sticks and barking at cars.Fulmer.
Last edited by fulmerspot on May 20th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax

Drop The But

May 21st, 2014, 9:47 am

I always learnt that it was all all bullshit before the but...

Cuchulainn

Drop The But

May 21st, 2014, 9:54 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxI always learnt that it was all all bullshit before the but...Yeah, it's not part of the message.There should always be a comma before the but (fulmerspot is correct!) . Synonyms are 1. Having said that <comma>2 <semicolon> However <comma>
Last edited by Cuchulainn on May 20th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tagoma

Drop The But

May 21st, 2014, 10:00 am

QuoteThere should always be a comma before the but You do solemnly state that the testimony you may give in the cause now pending before this court shall be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God !!!!!

Traden4Alpha

Drop The But

May 21st, 2014, 10:01 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxI always learnt that it was all all bullshit before the but...Yeah, it's not part of the message.There should always be a comma before the but (fulmerspot is correct!) . Synonyms are 1. Having said that <comma>2 <semicolon> However <comma>Technically, is there not a colon behind every but?

daveangel

Drop The But

May 21st, 2014, 10:03 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxI always learnt that it was all all bullshit before the but...Yeah, it's not part of the message.There should always be a comma before the but (fulmerspot is correct!) . Synonyms are 1. Having said that <comma>2 <semicolon> However <comma>Technically, is there not a colon behind every but? boom boom ...
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Cuchulainn

Drop The But

May 21st, 2014, 10:04 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxI always learnt that it was all all bullshit before the but...Yeah, it's not part of the message.There should always be a comma before the but (fulmerspot is correct!) . Synonyms are 1. Having said that <comma>2 <semicolon> However <comma>Technically, is there not a colon behind every but? Implcitly at least. orbla+bla+bla, but ...

ppauper

Drop The But

May 21st, 2014, 10:17 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxI always learnt that it was all all bullshit before the but...Yeah, it's not part of the message.There should always be a comma before the but (fulmerspot is correct!) . Synonyms are 1. Having said that <comma>2 <semicolon> However <comma>if there is a semicolon, it would be <however> rather than <However>

ppauper

Drop The But

May 21st, 2014, 10:21 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxI always learnt that it was all all bullshit before the but...Yeah, it's not part of the message.There should always be a comma before the but (fulmerspot is correct!) . Synonyms are 1. Having said that <comma>2 <semicolon> However <comma>Technically, is there not a colon behind every but? Implcitly at least. orbla+bla+bla, but ...NOWe had no choice but to leave.They've done nothing but argue all afternoon.He ate nothing but cheese.

Cuchulainn

Drop The But

May 21st, 2014, 11:22 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxI always learnt that it was all all bullshit before the but...Yeah, it's not part of the message.There should always be a comma before the but (fulmerspot is correct!) . Synonyms are 1. Having said that <comma>2 <semicolon> However <comma>if there is a semicolon, it would be <however> rather than <However>Correct.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On