SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Re: The Donald Trump

July 14th, 2016, 1:48 pm

If you are curious about the GOP convention and what could happen:

Can Trump's Opponents Change the Rules? - Washington Post July 14

All about bound and unbound delegates.
Thanks
for those who don't know, the GOP convention is next week, July 18–21, 2016.
Trump is thought to be going to announce his running-mate before the convention, maybe t omorrow (Friday)

ppauper

July 14th, 2016, 5:01 pm

Trump to Pick Mike Pence, Says Source

Governor of Indiana
born in 1959 so he's 57 now and would be 65 in 8 years
He seems to disagree with Trump on immigration and interventionism
In June 2006, Pence unveiled a plan he describes as "no amnesty immigration reform", consisting of increased border security, followed by strict enforcement of laws against hiring illegal aliens, and a guest worker program. This guest worker program requires potential participants to apply from their home country to government-approved job placement agencies that match workers with employers who cannot find Americans for the job. The plan received support from conservative leaders such as Dick Armey. Pat Buchanan, writing at WorldNetDaily, described this as "stealth amnesty", claiming that it is merely a "one week vacation" for illegal immigrants to return to their home country to apply for jobs under the program. Conservatives Phyllis Schlafly and Tom Tancredo criticized Pence's plan.

ppauper

July 14th, 2016, 5:11 pm

rasmussen reports
Trump 44%, Clinton 37%

NYT/CBS
40 each

somor

July 14th, 2016, 5:32 pm

Governor of Indiana
He's just the man of your own image. Congrats 

ppauper

July 14th, 2016, 5:45 pm

Governor of Indiana
this is mike pence?

somor

July 14th, 2016, 6:17 pm

Governor of Indiana
this is mike pence?
Genesis 1:27

ppauper

July 14th, 2016, 8:26 pm

this is mike pence?
Genesis 1:27
indeed, we're all God's children

ppauper

July 14th, 2016, 8:53 pm

over at infowars, they're hoping this was just a trial balloon,
Hopefully, the Pence leak is just the Trump campaign testing the waters before a final call is made.
Trump’s campaign spokeswoman Hope Hicks said that “a decision has not been made,” and the Indianapolis Star did not provide a source for its Pence leak.
The overwhelmingly negative reaction from many of Trump’s hardcore supporters should serve as a big wake up call and hopefully lead to the announcement of someone other than Pence to be Trump’s running mate.

ppauper

July 15th, 2016, 2:00 pm

trump postponed the VP announcement because of the attack in Nice
meanwhile, Gingrich is making a last-minute bid for the VP slot
Newt: ‘If They Believe in Shariah, They Should Be Deported

I thought gingrich had got the slot a few days ago because foxnews broke ties with him. But the media says Pence

ppauper

July 15th, 2016, 2:01 pm

ppauper

July 15th, 2016, 3:17 pm

RBG doubles down
big shake-up at the Supreme Court when Trump wins

RBG to move to NZ when Trump elected

"For the country, it could be four years. For the court, it could be - I don't even want to contemplate that.

"`Now it's time for us to move to New Zealand,'" Justice Ginsburg smiled, recalling what her late husband said.
RBG doubles down
even liberal pundits are saying that RBG is looney tunes: what happens if there's a supreme court case involving trump, how does she not recuse herself after all the  nasty things she has said about Trump
Ruth Bader Ginsburg: 'I regret making' Donald Trump remarks
"On reflection, my recent remarks in response to press inquiries were ill-advised and I regret making them," Ginsburg said in a statement. "Judges should avoid commenting on a candidate for public office. In the future I will be more circumspect."
(snip)
"I did something I should not have done," she added. "It's over and done with and I don't want to discuss it anymore."
I don't see an apology to Trump in there anywhere, or indeed any apology at all.

Traden4Alpha

July 15th, 2016, 3:26 pm

RBG doubles down
big shake-up at the Supreme Court when Trump wins

RBG to move to NZ when Trump elected

RBG doubles down
even liberal pundits are saying that RBG is looney tunes: what happens if there's a supreme court case involving trump, how does she not recuse herself after all the  nasty things she has said about Trump
"On reflection, my recent remarks in response to press inquiries were ill-advised and I regret making them," Ginsburg said in a statement. "Judges should avoid commenting on a candidate for public office. In the future I will be more circumspect."
(snip)
"I did something I should not have done," she added. "It's over and done with and I don't want to discuss it anymore."
I don't see an apology to Trump in there anywhere, or indeed any apology at all.
Why should she apologize to Trump? Her correct assessment of him has not changed. She merely regrets saying it in public.

ppauper

July 15th, 2016, 4:34 pm

RBG doubles down

RBG doubles down
(snip)
Why should she apologize to Trump?  Her correct assessment of him has not changed.  She merely regrets saying it in public.
she doesn't regret saying it,  she regrets it being reported
RBG herself said  "Judges should avoid commenting on a candidate for public office."
the funny thing is that when politicians criticize the Supreme Court, RBG goes bananas and claims it leads to death threats
In the article above, RBG claimed that proposed legislation in Congress which would "either decry or would bar the citation of foreign law in the Supreme Court's constitutional rulings" had led to death threats. RBG was using foreign law in her rulings because she had a desired outcome and US law didn't support it.
We should all try it. Next time you're pulled over for speeding, tell the cop that under German law, you can drive as fast as you like so he can't ticket you

ppauper

July 15th, 2016, 4:55 pm

twitter
I am pleased to announce that I have chosen Governor Mike Pence as my Vice Presidential running mate. News conference tomorrow at 11:00 A.M.

Traden4Alpha

July 15th, 2016, 4:56 pm

Why should she apologize to Trump?  Her correct assessment of him has not changed.  She merely regrets saying it in public.
she doesn't regret saying it,  she regrets it being reported
RBG herself said  "Judges should avoid commenting on a candidate for public office."
the funny thing is that when politicians criticize the Supreme Court, RBG goes bananas and claims it leads to death threats
In the article above, RBG claimed that proposed legislation in Congress which would "either decry or would bar the citation of foreign law in the Supreme Court's constitutional rulings" had led to death threats. RBG was using foreign law in her rulings because she had a desired outcome and US law didn't support it.
We should all try it. Next time you're pulled over for speeding, tell the cop that under German law, you can drive as fast as you like so he can't ticket you
I'm not sure how you get from {"Judges should avoid commenting on a candidate for public office"; "my recent remarks in response to press inquiries were ill-advised "; & "I will be more circumspect.") to anything about regretted reportage or personal apologies.

A citizen caught speeding is free to use whatever local or foreign law arguments they wish with the police officer or in court but they are not the judge.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On