SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ISayMoo

Re: All about Cats

July 10th, 2019, 6:25 am

Why only hunter-gatherer and not the later several thousand years (at least) of more complex agricultural society?

katastrofa
Topic Author

July 10th, 2019, 9:32 am

I'd say that the instinct survived those several *hundred* (a.k.a. at least) thousand years. I've read it forgot where.

katastrofa
Topic Author

July 13th, 2019, 6:33 pm

I need to choose the name for my cat girl (to put it in her passport, before she can come to live with me). She's from Egypt, picked from the street in Cairo. I'd be grateful for suggestions :-)

Goose (from Egyptian goose) is the only thing that comes to my mind so far :-(

Other options:
Amina (from Amina Abaza, the founder of the animal welfare movement in Egypt) - or Mozart's Pamina from Zauberloete
Interesting, to put it politely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYokHv3c618
Pati (from Hypatia, ancient Egyptian mathematician), like Pati Smitth
Zora (from Zora Neale Hurston, the black anthropologist - also because Homo Sapiens with their Felis Sapiens on their side emerged from Africa through Neale, don't try to deneale it!)

bearish

July 13th, 2019, 9:21 pm

How about Sphinxie? Bastet would also be quite traditional - cat goddess, daughter of Ra and Isis. If all else fails, there is always Egyptian Cat Names.

katastrofa
Topic Author

July 13th, 2019, 9:34 pm

That's fantastic! Thank you!
Mau sounds interesting too - an Egyptian way of commemorating one of my favourite actresses and movies, Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany - Holly's cat's name was Cat :-)

Alan

July 15th, 2019, 4:07 am

Cleokatra

katastrofa
Topic Author

July 15th, 2019, 10:06 am

I like all the names! I should bring more cats from Egypt (which is a really nasty place when it comes to - non-existent - animal welfare :-() .

tw

July 18th, 2019, 10:54 pm

That's fantastic! Thank you!
Mau sounds interesting too - an Egyptian way of commemorating one of my favourite actresses and movies, Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany - Holly's cat's name was Cat :-)
If it was a boy cat you could go with Chairman Mau

katastrofa
Topic Author

July 19th, 2019, 12:06 am

She has to travel to the UK through Germany. Hopefully she won't decide that her name is Mein Purrer.

bearish

July 19th, 2019, 1:25 am

This sounds like a rather complicated and, dare I say, expensive proposition.

katastrofa
Topic Author

July 19th, 2019, 1:33 am

Seriously. That's the only way to avoid the quarantine. I'd personally prefer the quarantine to Huns, but I trust people who organise such adoptions that it's better for the cat. There's a steadily growing animal welfare/community project behind it - not just a crazy lady who wants another Egyptian cat :-)

ISayMoo

July 19th, 2019, 9:58 am

Are they going to put her in a catcentration camp?

tw

July 19th, 2019, 10:50 am

Seriously. That's the only way to avoid the quarantine. I'd personally prefer the quarantine to Huns, but I trust people who organise such adoptions that it's better for the cat. There's a steadily growing animal welfare/community project behind it - not just a crazy lady who wants another Egyptian cat :-)
Quarantine seems a bit pointless. Toxoplasma gondii is found in up to 50% of the human population. We are all unwitting slaves of the feline
overlords. :)

ISayMoo

July 19th, 2019, 12:23 pm

It's about rabies.

katastrofa
Topic Author

July 19th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Rabbies enter at their own risk. Did you know that during WW2 Germany had the strictest animal welfare laws at the time. Simultaneously they were exploiting and experimenting on Jews (as they now continue to do to other primates at Max Planck Institute), and killing dogs of those Jews with all due care to limit suffering (Jewish animals had to die because they were "contaminated" - strangely, the Jewish money and valuables, golden teeth included, weren't).
I could install cat spies in Egypt, who would melt in the homeless crowd. They could search for the arts stolen from Eastern Europe and Jews during the quarantine. Imagine a cat found Raphael's "Portrait of a young man"!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On