SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

AlexEro
Topic Author

Russian thread. Русская ветка форума.

June 21st, 2016, 8:18 am

Russian thread. Русская ветка.In my opinion - due to huge contribution of russian (and russian-ukrainian, for example E. Slutsky) science into the topics of this forum - there should be a dedicated thread with links to original math works in russian. Additionally, there are numerous topics in modern math with undervalued and/or little-known russian articles/books.I think speaking here by russian language (at least partly) is inevitable.
Last edited by AlexEro on June 20th, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexEro
Topic Author

June 21st, 2016, 8:37 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperwe have "Russia watch" alreadySorry, I see no connection between "RussIA (as a country) watch" and "russian-language science/articles/books".

ppauper

June 21st, 2016, 8:41 am

If you have Russian contributions to the field of quantitative finance, they likely belong in either the general forum, the technical forum, the student forim, or the numerical methods forum, not in Off Topic

Cuchulainn

June 21st, 2016, 8:51 am

QuoteAdditionally, there are numerous topics in modern math with undervalued and/or little-known russian articles/books.Traditionally, the language barrier was an issue. In the field of numerical analysis, for example in the 70s if you knew Russian you could find methods that were rediscovered in the West 20 years later.Ex.ADI method fell into disuse very quickly but they still kept the name even though it is Soviet Splitting (Marchuk, Janenko).EU universities still use ADI.The Craig_Sneyd 1989 was due to Samarski 1964.Most of the students here used those Russian schemes. Two of them wrote a book that was translated into Russian. I have many Russian maths books.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 20th, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chips chips chips Du du du du du Ci bum ci bum bum Du du du du du Ci bum ci bum bum Du du du du du
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

AlexEro
Topic Author

June 21st, 2016, 9:02 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperIf you have Russian contributions to the field of quantitative finance, they likely belong in either the general forum, the technical forum, the student forim, or the numerical methods forum, not in Off TopicYou are right, but I think it will be inappropriate to insert russian-language posts here and there. Probably the best place for this thread will be in "Papers forum", but speaking by russian there will confuse the others. Therefore I put it here. Up to moderator, let him to decide.

Cuchulainn

June 21st, 2016, 9:02 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperwe have "Russia watch" alreadyWe already have a Russian thread with Cyrillic letters here
Chips chips chips Du du du du du Ci bum ci bum bum Du du du du du Ci bum ci bum bum Du du du du du

AlexEro
Topic Author

June 21st, 2016, 9:08 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteAdditionally, there are numerous topics in modern math with undervalued and/or little-known russian articles/books.Traditionally, the language barrier was an issue. In the field of numerical analysis, for example in the 70s if you knew Russian you could find methods that were rediscovered in the West 20 years later.Ex.ADI method fell into disuse very quickly but they still kept the name even though it is Soviet Splitting (Marchuk, Janenko).EU universities still use ADI.The Craig_Sneyd 1989 was due to Samarski 1964.Most of the students here used those Russian schemes. Two of them wrote a book that was translated into Russian. I have many Russian maths books.Exactly. But beware of bad carma of some of them: several of soviet scientists were involved in communist or rocket-nuclear activity. Some of them ended badly - Janenko, for example. Gantmacher wrote to KGB about another mathematician Kravchuk, Kravchuk ended in Gulag, but after that Gantmacher also ended badly in Moscow (you can call it God's hand).Kravchuk Polynomials:Kravchuk polynomials

Gamal

June 21st, 2016, 9:35 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: AlexEroRussian thread. Русская ветка.In my opinion - due to huge contribution of russian (and russian-ukrainian, for example E. Slutsky) science into the topics of this forum - there should be a dedicated thread with links to original math works in russian. Additionally, there are numerous topics in modern math with undervalued and/or little-known russian articles/books.I think speaking here by russian language (at least partly) is inevitable.Genocide. Nobody compares to Russia.

Cuchulainn

June 21st, 2016, 9:53 am

Yanenko was a friendly man.What happened to him? My supervisor was a friend of Gury Marchuk..
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 20th, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexEro
Topic Author

June 21st, 2016, 10:14 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnYanenko was a friendly man.What happened to him? My supervisor was a friend of Gury Marchuk..He died at age 62 by embolism after nurse inserted a syringe with air to his vein.

katastrofa

June 21st, 2016, 2:13 pm

Kravchuk was Ukrainian. So much for "Russian contributions"...

AlexEro
Topic Author

June 21st, 2016, 2:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaKravchuk was Ukrainian. So much for "Russian contributions"...Who cares? Ukraine and Russia are two sisters with 1000+ years of common history. 100.00% of prominent ukrainian scientists, writers and artists (including Taras Shevchenko) were bi-lingual, publishing books and papers in both Russian and Ukrainian languages.

katastrofa

June 21st, 2016, 2:56 pm

Which makes practically all nowadays scientists British.

Gamal

June 21st, 2016, 4:22 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AlexEroQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaKravchuk was Ukrainian. So much for "Russian contributions"...Who cares? Ukraine and Russia are two sisters with 1000+ years of common history.Sorry dude. Some of us are educated, so please stop.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On