Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

CommodityQuant
Topic Author

Linkedin applications

November 13th, 2018, 11:51 am

A lot has been written about job applications via linkedin rather than the more traditional routes.
I've noticed some linkedin postings don't have an associated recruiter.

Does anyone have any thoughts about linkedin applications (for example via easy apply) as it pertains
specifically to the quant job market?
As a job seeker, this is something I haven't tried although I've been reasonably successful at getting
interviews via recruiters, and I suppose I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything.

CommodityQuant

bearish

Re: Linkedin applications

November 13th, 2018, 12:11 pm

A lot has been written about job applications via linkedin rather than the more traditional routes.
I've noticed some linkedin postings don't have an associated recruiter.

Does anyone have any thoughts about linkedin applications (for example via easy apply) as it pertains
specifically to the quant job market?
As a job seeker, this is something I haven't tried although I've been reasonably successful at getting
interviews via recruiters, and I suppose I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything.

CommodityQuant
I have hired quants that applied directly on our career portal which they reached via LinkedIn postings. Actually, both in my current and previous firm. From a hiring managers perspective you have to sift through a bunch more resumes than what a decent recruiter will send you, but that’s pretty fast, and in my view is well justified by saving the firm a bill in the range of $30-60k if you can find a qualified candidate that way.

ISayMoo

November 13th, 2018, 10:22 pm

I suppose you can cut down on the number of CVs by requiring a covering letter and rejecting those which less then N words long.

secret2

November 26th, 2018, 6:17 am

I suppose you can cut down on the number of CVs by requiring a covering letter and rejecting those which less then N words long.
For a split second I thought you meant "...and rejecting those which contain the N-word"

ISayMoo

November 26th, 2018, 8:47 am

I am not responsible for your innate reflexes.

bearish

November 26th, 2018, 11:37 pm

To circle back on this briefly - I tend to disregard cover letters, even if they reach me. A link to one or more research papers (preferably at least faintly relevant) on the other hand, is likely to get my attention.