Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

amwalton89
Topic Author

OMSA - Georgia Tech online Msc Analytics

September 5th, 2018, 2:20 pm

Hi,

I am currently working withing finance, more specifically a front office role. I have recently applied for the below ( Computational) Data Analytics course at Georgia Tech, and I was wondering what people thought of it as a way to move to a more Quantitative role. The course is a fully fledged Msc, and should take 2 year approximately to complete. I have attached a link, so any thoughts on the below would be greatly appreciated!
http://catalog.gatech.edu/programs/anal ... onlinetext
A

bearish

Re: OMSA - Georgia Tech online Msc Analytics

September 5th, 2018, 11:42 pm

So, this looks like a modern MBA of sorts. The premise of your question will throw a lot of people off, since the usual story is "how do I get out of a quant/risk/IT role and into a finance front office position?" If you are actively searching for the opposite path, this may or may not do it. It will not qualify you to a traditional finance quant job, but may well launch an interesting career in business analytics. In an asset management firm I know first hand, some of the most interesting and innovative data analytics is carried out on the marketing side rather than on the investments side.