Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

bearish

Re: Looking for a partner for my Quant project

July 9th, 2019, 11:36 am

At the risk of stating the obvious, being a Python programmer is not like being a python snake, which is an inborn trait. If you are smart enough to get something numerical to work in Excel, I don’t see why a few days of tinkering about with e.g. Google Colab couldn’t produce a working Python program with the same functionality. Trying to maintain your intellectual property while having someone else write your code seems a lot harder.

katastrofa

July 9th, 2019, 11:50 am

Why do you need it in Python if it works in Excel?
Because the language of the system is python.
How did you test if your strategy will work on the different platform and with larger volumes (as this is your plan I presume - ?)?
And are you really too lazy to learn Python yourself, as Bearish suggested above? ;-)

Deflandre
Topic Author

July 9th, 2019, 1:02 pm

At the risk of stating the obvious, being a Python programmer is not like being a python snake, which is an inborn trait. If you are smart enough to get something numerical to work in Excel, I don’t see why a few days of tinkering about with e.g. Google Colab couldn’t produce a working Python program with the same functionality. Trying to maintain your intellectual property while having someone else write your code seems a lot harder.
First of all, the strategy I use will never be deciphered. Because I've hidden the starting point of the formula and I'm just giving you enough information to apply.

Deflandre
Topic Author

July 9th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Why do you need it in Python if it works in Excel?
Because the language of the system is python.
How did you test if your strategy will work on the different platform and with larger volumes (as this is your plan I presume - ?)?
And are you really too lazy to learn Python yourself, as Bearish suggested above? ;-)
I just make up the strategy. Someone else prepares the technical infrastructure. I produce ideas. I don't work in a complicated way and it's usually simple enough to do manual. Why don't I learn python? When your car breaks down, you go to the mechanic, your tailor for your clothes, the butcher for meat. These are the things we need all the time. Then why didn't you ever learn?

katastrofa

July 9th, 2019, 3:01 pm

I'm a vegan. Bye.

Deflandre
Topic Author

July 9th, 2019, 3:45 pm

I'm a vegan. Bye.
Good bye, come again 

Cuchulainn

July 9th, 2019, 5:14 pm

You don't understand? I'm not a programmer. I mentioned it in the first place. You never read? Why would I look for a programmer partner if I could do it myself?
Yes. I understand now.
LOL, that's the most hilarious I've seen in a while.

Cuchulainn

July 9th, 2019, 5:25 pm

If you are looking for a kick-ass project manager, give me a shout
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqjQDP9KX6E

How many maintenance programmers will you need?

Deflandre
Topic Author

July 9th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Let him know Python, VBA knowledge. It doesn't have to be a lot of experts.

ISayMoo

July 9th, 2019, 9:10 pm

Trying to maintain your intellectual property while having someone else write your code seems a lot harder.
As we well know

Gamal

July 10th, 2019, 5:02 am

0*10%=0  I'm affraid

Deflandre
Topic Author

July 10th, 2019, 6:15 am

0*10%=0  I'm affraid
I can't see a zero here

Deflandre
Topic Author

July 10th, 2019, 6:18 am

If you are looking for a kick-ass project manager, give me a shout
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqjQDP9KX6E

How many maintenance programmers will you need?
Even a person with a good knowledge of python and VBA may be enough. Or one python programmer and VBA expert.

Gamal

July 10th, 2019, 8:25 am

0*10%=0  I'm affraid
I can't see a zero here
If you can't see a zero, why aren't you rich enough to hire as many programmers as you want? A few grand could do for the beginning and then you could finance all with your genial strategy. Can't you spare that much working at McDonald's or borrow from your granny?

Deflandre
Topic Author

July 10th, 2019, 10:02 am

0*10%=0  I'm affraid
I can't see a zero here
If you can't see a zero, why aren't you rich enough to hire as many programmers as you want? A few grand could do for the beginning and then you could finance all with your genial strategy. Can't you spare that much working at McDonald's or borrow from your granny?
If you had a brain, you'd read and understand why I didn't hire a programmer. Looks like you're a McDonald's employee. Developing strategy is not something that people like you can understand and implement. We don't live with the money we get from our grandmother. And I don't care about trolls like you.

I appeal to Wilmott's forum management: I thought it was a serious platform where I signed up with my university e-mail. I was hoping against the trolls that you wanted a real e-mail address. But I see there are trolls here too. As long as this continues, qualified people flee from here.