Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

billyx524
Topic Author

What to say during interviews

February 6th, 2021, 7:29 am

Hi,

I am a sell side quant looking to transfer into trading. I am wondering if it is a good idea during interviews to say that I am looking for a "risk taking job". Would it be better to say this during interview for a hedge fund, as opposed to sell side trader roles?

Thanks!

bearish

Re: What to say during interviews

February 6th, 2021, 4:18 pm

I’m not sure I see a lot of upside in characterizing your search in that particular way. Sell side trading post GFC is really meant to be a lot more about meeting customer demands and making money from bid/ask spreads than from positioning and outright risk taking. Of course you can’t avoid the latter entirely, thus the veritable army of risk managers in each bank. It is true that the business of hedge funds, prop shops and even traditional active asset managers is to take risk with other people’s money, but I think you’re probably still better off emphasizing what you are bringing to the table beyond a quest for adrenaline. Now, coming from the quant side it may be helpful to point out that you are comfortable making decisions under pressure based on incomplete information (hopefully, you are), and that you are OK with the associated risk of personal failure. But, what do I know - I’ve never hired a trader. Good luck!

Alan

Re: What to say during interviews

February 9th, 2021, 3:30 pm

The phrase "risk taking job" indeed could easily be badly interpreted. Whose risk -- the client or the employer or the employee? Perhaps, the right spin might be to say one wanted a higher percent of compensation to reflect performance, if that's your intent.