Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Ellinas

Coaching/Mentoring

April 1st, 2002, 9:27 pm

Hi all,

i would like to know if someone of you has experience with coaching/mentoring. I am currently reading a book which proposes this "Management" idea as very valuable for companies. In many cases you have to fight for your career on your own. How about someone more experienced to coach you? To help and give advise? Is this a method which works in practice?

JabairuStork

Coaching/Mentoring

April 2nd, 2002, 3:44 pm

It doesn't work unless there is some incentive for the mentor which is based upon the success his pupil. A mentor can spend a lot of time and effort for an uncertain benefit to the pupil which, even in the best case, will probably not result in any payoff to the mentor. Therefore, why bother?

I have never seen any companies (although my experience is limited to a handful) which had proper incentives in place to encourage mentoring. This leads me to believe it is more corporate PR than actual management strategy.

Paul

Coaching/Mentoring

April 2nd, 2002, 3:46 pm

Poor is the student who does not surpass his teacher da Vinci.

P

Pat

Coaching/Mentoring

April 3rd, 2002, 9:23 pm

I don't know about "mentoring", but a key objective in managing a group is to make sure that each of the group members progress and take the next step, to become more capable & more valuable to the bank. The worst outcome is that you end up with friends in high places. How terrible that would be.