SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ScilabGuru
Topic Author

Who needs H1 the first time can relax until the next fiscal year

February 2nd, 2004, 9:17 pm

65000 H1-quota on this financial year almost surely is ended in February... Any ideas, how is to solve the problem ?

WannaBeDude

February 3rd, 2004, 5:44 pm

hi, does this quota apply only to people coming from outside the country, or also apply to people who are just changing their status, for example from F1 to H1 . thanks

ScilabGuru
Topic Author

February 3rd, 2004, 5:50 pm

To what I understand for both. Cry, students... It is not applied only for one who transfers H1 from 1 company to another...

NoDoubts

March 17th, 2004, 3:38 pm

I just talked to some guy. I was supposed to have an interview at some hedge fund in nyc...but they said that according to a new law there is no way to get H1 visa before October.I didn't know that....this sux!!!

Martingale

March 17th, 2004, 3:49 pm

If you're currently on F-1, then you can use OPT, for 1 year, right. But if not, that really sucks. Anyway, just prepare to deal with inefficiency when handing anything related to USCIS

WannaBeDude

March 17th, 2004, 3:57 pm

even if you are done with your OPT, you can still stick around for 2 more months on some medical excuse( or so i heard).......but this whole thing sucks, and my lawyer says that the quota for the next fiscal year(Oct 2004-Sept 2005) will be filled up in April 04 itself.and if this whole lag keeps piling up like this god knows whats gonna happen in the next 4-5 years......

ScilabGuru
Topic Author

March 17th, 2004, 4:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: WannaBeDudemy lawyer says that the quota for the next fiscal year(Oct 2004-Sept 2005) will be filled up in April 04 itself.and if this whole lag keeps piling up like this god knows whats gonna happen in the next 4-5 years......This is great news .
Last edited by ScilabGuru on March 16th, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScilabGuru
Topic Author

March 17th, 2004, 9:36 pm

I removed this, sorry, guys.
Last edited by ScilabGuru on March 17th, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WannaBeDude

March 17th, 2004, 9:50 pm

please take a second opinion on this: its allright if you can stay here legally till that point. but then if you have the permit( either OPT or whatever else) you wouldnt be asking this question.. so i dont really know...

ScilabGuru
Topic Author

March 17th, 2004, 9:56 pm

Ha ha, no don't worry I do have the legal status. Unfortunately, this is the status of a slave in the gold cave. I just hypothetically try to find the key from this cave.

drews26

March 17th, 2004, 10:27 pm

Guys, if you have PhDs or Masters (or any advanced degrees), why don't you stop whining about US strict immigration policies and try to file EB-1 and/or EB-2 petitions (see USCIS site for details). Sure it takes a lot of time and effort to put one’s case together (and no lawyer will help you with that) but according to the new regulations you can concurrently file for the Adjustment of Status and thus get a work authorization.

purs

March 17th, 2004, 10:58 pm

Even working without pay would be illegal if you don't have a work permit.It's also illegal for your boss to let you work in such circumstances.Making some kind of "private arrangement" is not wise -- if it ever comes out,there will be bad consequences.

ScilabGuru
Topic Author

March 18th, 2004, 11:44 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: drews26Guys, if you have PhDs or Masters (or any advanced degrees), why don't you stop whining about US strict immigration policies and try to file EB-1 and/or EB-2 petitions (see USCIS site for details). Sure it takes a lot of time and effort to put one’s case together (and no lawyer will help you with that) but according to the new regulations you can concurrently file for the Adjustment of Status and thus get a work authorization.Yep, you are right like mathematician that answered to the lost guy in the baloon that he is in baloon.1. I am doing this.2. My wife is doing this.3. Efforts... Hmm... It takes all free time last half year.4. The probability to get it via EB jums down about twice last 2 years5. If your application is denied and you on this EAD status - that it you are out of status. But this is not an immigration forum however...
Last edited by ScilabGuru on March 17th, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drews26

March 18th, 2004, 12:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ScilabGuru4. The probability to get it via EB jums down about twice last 2 years5. If your application is denied and you on this EAD status - that it you are out of status. But this is not an immigration forum however...As to the #4, where did you get this info, is it available on USCIS website? Usually your application can't be just denied, but they may send you RFE (Request for Evidence), that basically means that your job is not done after you filed the case, but you need to continue gathering '"evidence" while case is pending. Even if it gets denied at the end there are legal ways of action to reopen it. I also spent about 2 or 3 years collecting info, and then several months putting my case together and it took all my time during that period (about 3 or 4 months). I've sent my petition in September 2002 but still haven't heard from them, it seems like Vermont office didn't process a single EB-1 or EB-2 (national interest waiver) case since last summer. But I don't care much, at least I have an EAD and I'm prepared for the fight

NoDoubts

March 18th, 2004, 5:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MartingaleIf you're currently on F-1, then you can use OPT, for 1 year, right. But if not, that really sucks. Anyway, just prepare to deal with inefficiency when handing anything related to USCISI am in UK currently...I finished my studies in US a year ago. EB-2 is a good idea, but I am sure it takes a lot of time...and I need to find something by October the latest.Oh...I know what I am gonna do...I need some american chick to marry...that's the easiest way I think.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On