Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Martingale

Who needs H1 the first time can relax until the next fiscal year

March 18th, 2004, 5:53 pm

QuoteOh...I know what I am gonna do...I need some american chick to marry...that's the easiest way I think. Oh yeah, ask Phoebe(in friends)
Last edited by Martingale on March 17th, 2004, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WannaBeDude

March 18th, 2004, 5:58 pm

isnt trying to find that chick a full time job by itself.....

drews26

March 18th, 2004, 9:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: NoDoubtsI am in UK currently...I finished my studies in US a year ago. EB-2 is a good idea, but I am sure it takes a lot of time...and I need to find something by October the latest.Oh...I know what I am gonna do...I need some american chick to marry...that's the easiest way I think.If you still can enter the US (F-1 OPT or any other means) then I'd recommend you to do it ASAP and petition for EB-1 and/or EB-2. Once you got a receipt (in a couple of weeks) you can apply for an Adjustment of Status and in 3-4 months you'll get an EAD (empl. author. document). Actually they're required by law to give it to you within 90 days of your Adj. of Status petition filing, if they don't you can go to the nearest INS office and demand an interim EAD. Once you got a receipt for your Adj. of Status you can reside legally in the US and once you got EAD you can work legally. There's no way your case will be processed by October since they're processing now cases for June 2002, moreover in Vermont they haven't processed a single EB-1 or EB-2 NIW (national interest waiver) since summer 2003 (my guess is that they probably wait for new (read more strict ) regulations). But who cares if you can live and work here. You can also go through consulate (I've heard it's faster) but I don't know much about this route. To file for Adj. of Status you gotta be present in the US.

ScilabGuru
Topic Author

March 18th, 2004, 9:52 pm

Preparation for EB-1, EB-2 takes a long time, unless you are nobel prize winner, that probably is not

drews26

March 18th, 2004, 10:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ScilabGuruPreparation for EB-1, EB-2 takes a long time, unless you are nobel prize winner, that probably is not I prepared my cases (I filed two: EB-1 and EB-2) myself in 3 months. Actually I know several people who went through this (I mean everybody has to do that at some point ) and none of them spent more than half a year to file the case initially.
Last edited by drews26 on March 25th, 2005, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kanukatchit

March 19th, 2004, 9:21 am

Last edited by kanukatchit on November 20th, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ijooc

August 19th, 2004, 7:41 am

Hi,does any one know the situation in regards to H1 visas for next year ( Oct 04)? There was a suggestion that they may be all applied for by now, is that the case?Thanks

WannaBeDude

August 19th, 2004, 12:29 pm

hi, this isnt the case. there are stilll a few left. however, there was a recent policy change in regards to H-i B visas. it said something to the effect that if you are about to be out of a status, and have applied for a visa then you can legally wait that your visa gets accepted and you started working. i am not exactly sure, and you ought to double-check the news. hth.