SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Neige
Topic Author

No thank you for you

June 18th, 2005, 9:14 pm

I had some job interviews recently: with Adam Aircraft (My PhD is in thermodynamics and structural dynamics) - one day (4 people), GS (one phone interview), and Bear - two days (6 people). Not one place ever let me know anything afterwards.I guess I'm just venting here...One is told to make sure to write a "thank you" note ater his interview to show that he appreciates the time people took to interview him. Fair enough, I do appreciate that, and do write those emails sincerely.But what about my humble effort - asking my boss to be late or even away so I would do an interview somewhere, what about my time taken to prepare, travel? Those guys dont give a damn to hit a respond freaking button once in a while? You didn't make it, buddy, next!So my boss has just found another guy to do the job next year. And since I don't have a green card, it also appears I'm on my way out of the US.

farmer

No thank you for you

June 18th, 2005, 10:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: NeigeOne is told to make sure to write a "thank you" note ater his interview to show that he appreciates the time people took to interview him. Fair enough, I do appreciate that, and do write those emails sincerely.I've never interviewed and gotten a job at any place like the ones you mentioned. But it seems to me this shouldn't be so mechanical and formal. At your age, you might actually develop a sort of connection with some of these people. If you want to work in the industry and product they work in, you should know someone they know, or expect to see them at a conference or something.It strikes me as not quite right the way you put it. Like you were interviewing to sleep in someone's bed, expecting to be lying there alone. If you can't relate to these people and develop a rapport, and if you can so easily be tipped towards actually being angry at them, probably you are a bad fit. Where's the love?Maybe people in finance have better social skills and higher social expectations than people in aerospace. Or maybe you came across as not entrepreneurial enough, or something. Or maybe you just let on that you were interviewing for aerospace at the same time, or that you liked the United States but did not have a passion specifically for any one industry, just any job to get a green card.The idea that you can't figure out a way to stick around or come back, if you really are passionate about a specific line of work, also strikes me as a little odd. The finance industry is not some sort of automatic teller machine for green cards. If you're just going to hit and run and get angry in five seconds, then good riddance.I am "sincerely thankful" when the sewer guy comes and makes my pipes flow, doesn't mean we understood a word each other said...

TraderJoe

No thank you for you

June 18th, 2005, 10:52 pm

>>>So my boss has just found another guy to do the job next year. And since I don't have a green card, it also appears I'm on my way out of the US.Damn!
Last edited by TraderJoe on June 18th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neige
Topic Author

No thank you for you

June 18th, 2005, 11:28 pm

You read too much between the lines, farmer. I had my "rapport" and indeed had good interviews with successful people I respected and enjoyed talking to. Seeing a trading floor in action was fun, too. So my thank you notes were not a part of a "formal" dance to climb into anybody's "bed". Moreover, I'm not definetely mad at any interviewer - I was given opportunites to get a new job and it didn't work then, maybe will work next time at a different place.My message was about getting a response from the companies or people who invite you for the interview or rather getting none, which upsets me because I value my time, too. Would not it be cuorteous to reply back and say, we are sorry, you don't fit the profile or whatever instead of me emailing them a number of times a few weeks later and getting no response this time?

TraderJoe

No thank you for you

June 19th, 2005, 10:12 pm

Why didn't you use the telephone? Did you not use a recruitment agent / head hunter?

SierpinskyJanitor

No thank you for you

June 19th, 2005, 10:17 pm

what´s wrong with getting your ass kicked out of the US? There´s greener pastures elsewhere you know?

TraderJoe

No thank you for you

June 19th, 2005, 10:19 pm

Yeah, London.

SierpinskyJanitor

No thank you for you

June 19th, 2005, 10:32 pm

nope, Turdonia! Are salaries inflated in London when compared to NY? I really didn´t know!
Last edited by SierpinskyJanitor on June 19th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TraderJoe

No thank you for you

June 19th, 2005, 10:51 pm

Turdonia is the best place for you Mr Serpinsky.

SierpinskyJanitor

No thank you for you

June 19th, 2005, 11:29 pm

Don’t underestimate my Turdonish/Jewish background Mr. TraderJoe, people struggle harder coming from “minor” countries - I learnt how to read&write 5 languages while there…

TraderJoe

No thank you for you

June 19th, 2005, 11:31 pm

Apologies, I just thought it was a funny name. Turdonia? Jewish is interesting though.
Last edited by TraderJoe on June 19th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SierpinskyJanitor

No thank you for you

June 19th, 2005, 11:49 pm

so the Jewish part is interesting, the portuguese, however, isn´t!!! Remember the equation: Turdonia=Portugal! Indeed, it is becoming a gigantic political Turd nowadays, hence the funny name!

FlyingQuant

No thank you for you

June 20th, 2005, 7:12 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: SierpinskyJanitornope, Turdonia! Are salaries inflated in London when compared to NY? I really didn´t know!SierpinskyJanitor, where exactly is Turdonia??

TraderJoe

No thank you for you

June 20th, 2005, 11:20 am

I'm contemplating holidaying in Portugal/Turdonia. Where would you recommend?

SierpinskyJanitor

No thank you for you

June 20th, 2005, 12:17 pm

probably the PM should be better for this, don´t you think? After all, we shouldn´t bore to death the remaining members of the forum with in-depth Turdonian turistic guides. Just a tip, one which should be broadcasted throughout: avoid "Algarve", the most amazing Portuguese regions lie off-shore, in mid-Atlantic waters, and go by the name of "Azores Islands"...
Last edited by SierpinskyJanitor on June 19th, 2005, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On