SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

I106402

research phD vs CQF (Imperial)

July 1st, 2007, 12:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: KzooHow useful did you find the CQF alumni networking to be? How well did the distance learning work for you?=> Have'nt used much yet...but I was a complete freshie in quant field when I entered the program, so it was a big discovery for me...But I think it is well organized, though it is a "starting" certification not that known on the market place...outside London...no comparison with CFA almni networking potential for instance..but personally I believe that if they extend the program training a bit out of the exclusive field of option pricing (& of derivative modeling as well...personally I would have loved to get quant portfolio management modeling...), this is a certification with future...may be the next CFA of the Quant world? ;-)=> Distance learning worked well, quality of the "service" slightly decreasing at the end of the program but really nothing serious...lots of support from the tutors. are you considering it?

ZmeiGorynych

July 1st, 2007, 1:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: I106402QuoteOriginally posted by: ZmeiGorynychIf you want to be an academic, OR if there is some specific thing you REALLY want to explore in depth, do PhD. If you want to maximize your expected salary in 6 years' time (and even more so for shorter time spans), do CQF and get a job.Certainly not an academic...& I already have the CQF & a job...& 6 years time is quite long I find...by then I would like to have my own business...so entering the market with this additional qualification (which is much more something you create under supervision...not some already-made knowledge that is provided to you) I believe would be a big plus...don't you think?Which market?

Kzoo

July 2nd, 2007, 2:14 am

Quote=> Distance learning worked well, quality of the "service" slightly decreasing at the end of the program but really nothing serious...lots of support from the tutors. are you considering it?Yes, I just started the CQF. I'll let you know how it goes.

I106402

July 2nd, 2007, 6:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: KzooQuote=> Distance learning worked well, quality of the "service" slightly decreasing at the end of the program but really nothing serious...lots of support from the tutors. are you considering it?Yes, I just started the CQF. I'll let you know how it goes.Good luck!! & hopefully welcome to the club in six months ;-)Intermediary exams are easy (sometimes REALLY easy), but final project is...something else, I'll let you the surprise (devote some time for end =)

I106402

July 2nd, 2007, 6:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ZmeiGorynychQuoteOriginally posted by: I106402QuoteOriginally posted by: ZmeiGorynychIf you want to be an academic, OR if there is some specific thing you REALLY want to explore in depth, do PhD. If you want to maximize your expected salary in 6 years' time (and even more so for shorter time spans), do CQF and get a job.Certainly not an academic...& I already have the CQF & a job...& 6 years time is quite long I find...by then I would like to have my own business...so entering the market with this additional qualification (which is much more something you create under supervision...not some already-made knowledge that is provided to you) I believe would be a big plus...don't you think?Which market?Europe continental, starting probably with Benelux which is my home region...& quant finance is not at all as developed as UK or US, but taking off...France is another though market with their history of econometrician & good schools in that field, even if most of the best are in London ;-)any hint on any particular market that you ask?

J

July 2nd, 2007, 8:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: I106402QuoteOriginally posted by: ZmeiGorynychIf you want to be an academic, OR if there is some specific thing you REALLY want to explore in depth, do PhD. If you want to maximize your expected salary in 6 years' time (and even more so for shorter time spans), do CQF and get a job.Certainly not an academic...& I already have the CQF & a job...& 6 years time is quite long I find...by then I would like to have my own business...so entering the market with this additional qualification (which is much more something you create under supervision...not some already-made knowledge that is provided to you) I believe would be a big plus...don't you think?Are you sure if having a PhD is helpful for you to build up your own business? For going for a part time PhD, which schools would you like to go for?

hateeque
Topic Author

July 3rd, 2007, 3:04 pm

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. I do appreciate some of the points. However, I would like to clarify a couple of points :Firstly, by CQF , I meant the phD program at Tanaka's Center of Quantitative Finance where you do your thesis/project in the industry and attend 1 day's lectures at Tanaka every week. I am evaluating between this phD and the other more regular phD in Financial Mathematics at the same uni. Secondly, my reasons for taking up the phd are twofold. Whilst I do derive alot of my motivation from the desire to learn and contribute in this field, a phD is also the standard minimum qualification for most quant jobs.I'd appreciate if ppl can provide insight!

madmax

July 3rd, 2007, 3:15 pm

From what I hear, The center of QF at IC really sucks. On the other hand, the math department is good.

ZmeiGorynych

July 3rd, 2007, 3:31 pm

Well if you want to start up your own business, the harshest limiting factor is usually startup capital (most people I know have ideas for a hedge fund, but who's going to fund them?). So start thinking on what kind of business it's going to be, and where the money will come from, and optimize around that. For most options of starting own business that I can imagine, a PhD will add little value - but since I don't know what you're trying to achieve (software provider to banks? Freelance consultant? Hedge fund owner? ), it's impossible to be sure.

I106402

July 13th, 2007, 2:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ZmeiGorynychWell if you want to start up your own business, the harshest limiting factor is usually startup capital (most people I know have ideas for a hedge fund, but who's going to fund them?). So start thinking on what kind of business it's going to be, and where the money will come from, and optimize around that. => I know both, I am on the "how to optimize the setup" phase indeed...For most options of starting own business that I can imagine, a PhD will add little value - but since I don't know what you're trying to achieve (software provider to banks? Freelance consultant? Hedge fund owner? ), it's impossible to be sure.=> first solution is close to my idea, I thought having PhD would increase credibility quite a lot...in any case I am just thinking about "cross-selling" here, this credibility stuff is hopefully not the only reason why I consider taking a PhD.

I106402

July 13th, 2007, 2:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ZmeiGorynychWell if you want to start up your own business, the harshest limiting factor is usually startup capital (most people I know have ideas for a hedge fund, but who's going to fund them?). So start thinking on what kind of business it's going to be, and where the money will come from, and optimize around that. => I know both, I am on the "how to optimize the setup" phase indeed...For most options of starting own business that I can imagine, a PhD will add little value - but since I don't know what you're trying to achieve (software provider to banks? Freelance consultant? Hedge fund owner? ), it's impossible to be sure.=> first solution is close to my idea, I thought having PhD would increase credibility quite a lot...in any case I am just thinking about "cross-selling" here, this credibility stuff is hopefully not the only reason why I consider taking a PhD.

I106402

July 13th, 2007, 2:49 pm

ZmeiGorynych

July 13th, 2007, 6:23 pm

First solution meaning, software provider to banks?

mam3xs

July 15th, 2007, 3:34 pm

Further comments:1. Quote+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Tue Jul 03, 07 05:15 PM User is offline Send user a private messageFrom what I hear, The center of QF at IC really sucks. On the other hand, the math department is good.+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Quite agree with this, there are some discussion/comparison about this in the past.2. For the first option, "softwares providers to IB", I think most IBs build a project with academic institutions to develop/implement softwares and models.... for the second option, you will need to have a very good model and rich experience in the area, e.g. Jason MacQueen.......then you will be succeed.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On