SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

trader14
Topic Author

Optiver

March 27th, 2003, 8:51 pm

I have a test with optiver from previous threads it seems the tests are as followstest 1: basic mathstest 2: sequence and seriestest 3: I am unsure can anyone clarriy and give me examples of questions asked. are all three tests in the first round or are 2 done later please let me know and if possible with examples thanks

trader14
Topic Author

Optiver

March 28th, 2003, 8:14 am

Any Suggesions as what to expect also if possible what do the next rounds also involve

Redman

Optiver

March 28th, 2003, 9:40 am

Just a word of warning. If you are feeling brave - you could ask your interviewer at optiver why 5 traders resigned on Tuesday (2 days ago!!!) including 3 partners!!I also know of 5 other traders comtemplating leaving there!!!

MobPsycho

Optiver

March 28th, 2003, 11:19 am

*****you could ask your interviewer at optiver why 5 traders resigned on Tuesday (2 days ago!!!) including 3 partners!!*****My guess would be the same reason that all my sister's gal friends from Yale law school are quitting their corporate jobs to get married: Because they can.Then again, some can't.MP

slick

Optiver

March 28th, 2003, 11:27 am

QuoteJust a word of warning. If you are feeling brave - you could ask your interviewer at optiver why 5 traders resigned on Tuesday (2 days ago!!!) including 3 partners!!How long is the trading floor going to last in Amsterdam????? A guy working at Optiver keeps desperately contacting me for recommendations on firms recruiting now in London......I wonder why???

MobPsycho

Optiver

March 28th, 2003, 12:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: RedmanJust a word of warning. If you are feeling brave - you could ask your interviewer at optiver why 5 traders resigned on Tuesday (2 days ago!!!) including 3 partners!!I also know of 5 other traders comtemplating leaving there!!!This reminds me of a joke. This guy is taking his seat on an airplane, only to be pushed aside by a giant parrot who is taking the seat next to him. Then the stewardness comes and starts to ask what he would like to drink but, before he can answer, the parrot interrupts "Give me a whiskey, bitch!"The flustered stewardess delivers the whiskey, but then hurries on to the next row without ever getting the guy's order. A little later when she's rolling the drink cart back, the guy is about to try asking for an orange juice again, when the parrot leans across him, grabs the girl's ass, and says "Hey babe, how about another whiskey?"Amazingly enough, the stewardess meets his demands with another whiskey, before hurrying off, and obviously deciding never to come anywhere near that row again, still no juice. But pretty soon the parrot is shouting up the aisle, "Hey you losers, get out here and bring me another fucking whiskey!"When the guy sees some flight attendants sticking their heads out of the alcove in response, he finally gets the idea and starts shouting out "Yeah, you whores, and bring me some fucking orange juice while you're at it." Just then, a couple burly flight attendants come back, wrestle both the guy and the parrot from their seats, drag them down the aisle, and pitch them out the emergency exit in the back.As the two are in freefall, the parrot looks over at the guy in a mystified awe, almost respect, and says "Man, you sure are a ballsy motherfucker, for not being able to fly!"Ha hah ah ahaha ah ha ha haMP

trader14
Topic Author

Optiver

March 28th, 2003, 4:40 pm

HiSeems you all know quite a bit about optiver can you help me out with my original question about the tests and recruitment procedure. what the tests are like and example if possible together with how many tests in first round thanks.

WealthyRich

Optiver

March 29th, 2003, 8:26 am

Hi,I have gone through their recruitment procedure in 2000. The test was pretty basic, first test was basic maths (like 0.0023 * 402= , or 7 ¾ * 89= )you had like 20 minutes for 80 questions. Second test were sequences and series (like 1,2,3,4 and you had to fill in the 5) which also took about 30 minutes. That was all, after you had passed that, they invited you for a whole day in the office for interviews and chats with the traders.

trader14
Topic Author

Optiver

March 29th, 2003, 12:26 pm

what about the third test what is it on.how many test are there in the first round

Geordie

Optiver

April 8th, 2003, 8:36 pm

Probably far too late but just saw your question. I did the optiver tests about four weeks ago. Don't know much about the second or third round because I bowed out at the first! 80 multiple choice questions (3/21 *7/14 ; 0.0013 - 0.00013 ; 26 / 6 ; ...) which are negatively marked and skipping questions counts as an incorrect answer. 8 minutes to do it in and you need 50 to get through to the next round.Out of about 12 people there only one girl got through. Failures included a Phd Maths.Some practice at these types of questions should get you through though. You can use a calculator but I wouldn't recommend it as it'll slow you down.The third test was a mixture of the first and second tests (series and basic numeracy)

FloorTrader

Optiver

April 10th, 2003, 8:55 pm

Forget about the second and third tests, they are only interested in the first test. As my old mate redman alluded to: Optiver = Rats + Sinking Ship.

Vijaypotukuchi

Optiver

May 21st, 2004, 5:02 am

To Trader14I know this is a bit late but for the info of the msgboard, there are 3 tests altogether.If you pass the first one, you get to do the other two immediately after the first.

RFMontraz

Optiver

May 21st, 2004, 10:56 am

Probably the guy is dead by now dude....

sbssergio

Optiver

June 9th, 2005, 3:13 pm

What's wrong with optiver? There are at least 5 topics about this company in this forum! How is it possible that so many people are interviewed? And that nobody seem to have receive a proposition or to have accept one? Is there something I should know? (except that it is in amsterdam). Because there proposition as market maker seems interesting : - your trade- your play with model, do arbitrage and are encourage to improve their models- your read research paper to keep yourselft to the top- you begin at 8 and finish arround 18Have any idea of what the salary package is?

sbssergio

Optiver

June 11th, 2005, 6:00 am

Moreover, if you want to be a trader but on the other hand you deam of moddeling and building up strategies, this description sounds exeptional : "As a member of the Optiver team, your role will be to price and trade financial options, build and maintain positions in derivatives and equities, and improve models, risk management and trading methods. We also demand a constant search for knowledge and new theories."Does someone know other firm that propose such trader position with a quant part in the job and that do not require experience?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On