SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

My career = dry bones? :(

December 1st, 2008, 1:55 pm

Some previous encounters:*Be careful with these scams (419)
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Anthis

December 1st, 2008, 4:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperoh, and I just heard from Niger:QuoteMy dear I am writing this mail with tears, sadness and pains. I know it will come to you as a suprise since we haven't known or come across each other before, but kindly bear with me at this moment. I have a special reason why I decided to contact you. My situation at hand is miserable but I trust in God and hope you will be of my help. My name is Haniya Ibrahim Bare Mainassara 25years old girl and I held from Republic of Niger the daughter of Late General Ibrahim Bare Maïnassara the former President of the Republic of Niger who was ambushed and killed by dissident soldiers at the military airport in the capital, Niamey with his driver and a former Prefect. You can see more detail about my late father here http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 463927.stm I am constrained to contact you because of the maltreatment which I am receiving from my step mother. She planned to take away all my late father's treasury and properties from me since the unexpected death of my beloved Father. Meanwhile I wanted to travel to Europe, but she hide away my international passport and other valuable documents. Luckily she did not discover where I kept my father's File which contained important documents. I am presently staying in the Mission camp in Burkina Faso.I am seeking for longterm relationship and investment assistance. My father of blessed memory deposited the sum of US$17.7 Million in one bank in Burkina Faso with my name as the next of kin. I had contacted the Bank to clear the deposit but the Branch Manager told me that being a refugee, my status according to the local law does not authorize me to carry out the operation. However, he advised me to provide a trustee who will stand on my behalf. I had wanted to inform my stepmother about this deposit but I am affraid that she will not offer me anything after the release of the money. Therefore, I decide to seek for your help in transferring the money into your bank account while I will relocate to your country and settle down with you. I have my fathers death certificate and the account number which I will give you as soon as you indicated your interest to help me.It is my intention to compensate you with 20% of the total money for your assitance and the balance shall be my investment in any profitable venture which you will recommend to me as have no any idea about foreign investment. Please all communications should be through this email address only for confidential purposes.Thanking you alot in anticipation of your quick response. I will send you my photos in my next email.Yours Sincerely Haniya IbrahimI'm going to get 20% of $17.7Million (that's $3.9M !) just for letting this poor girl wire the money to my account !If she's hot, maybe we'll hook up and I'll get to keep all the money !LOLJudgment question:What refugee camp in Africa has internet connection?

toolbox
Topic Author

December 1st, 2008, 4:54 pm

Cheers All!Really appreciate the replies. I've decided to squeeze in the CQF course in early 2010 halfway through my MSc. Do you reckon that will give me a shot at becoming a Quantitative Trader (yes i am a bit of a dreamer!), figured on the job experience will help understand requirements perfectly though i intend to pursue Quant development for atleast two years initially.PhD is a certainty if all doesn't work though.Oh and nothing wrong with tech savvy Nigerians who understand international banking and i don't send dodgy emails and also am against nepotism, corruption, all the bad stuff. It would ruin my potential career if i am even assumed to be involved in such.

migalley

December 1st, 2008, 9:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: toolboxOh and nothing wrong with tech savvy Nigerians who understand international banking and i don't send dodgy emails and also am against nepotism, corruption, all the bad stuff. It would ruin my potential career if i am even assumed to be involved in such.But political influence is OK?

KackToodles

December 2nd, 2008, 9:08 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperwe all seem to be getting good news from Nigeria ! I'm glad that Nigerian email has a good brand name we can trust. Not like those emails from Kenya claiming "my cousin was recently elected President of the United States and I am trying to raise money to send my grandma to see the inauguration ceremony." Yeah, right.
Last edited by KackToodles on December 1st, 2008, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toolbox
Topic Author

December 8th, 2008, 11:21 am

UPDATE!Ok so i've also decided to through in a BSc in Mathematics and Statistics (Applied route) with the Open University while doing the part time MSc QF. i should get some credits off due to my previous degree meaning i could finish the BSc same time as the MSc in two years time if alll goes according to plan (and i do realise this will involve phenomenal hard work and huge personal sacrifices). Do you reckon this will have a significant impact or should i just stick to the MSc alone and through in a CQF during the second year?

quantwannabe2

December 8th, 2008, 1:15 pm

Stick to the Msc and find a job first.You really need to know minim re: financial theory / pricing background to be a quant developer, all you need is C++.And the reality is you won't get a pure Quant job, the best you can probably aim for is QuantDeveloper, and let's be honest, you don't need alot financial knowledge to be a QuantDev,it's all just programming...

skh

December 9th, 2008, 11:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: toolboxUPDATE!Ok so i've also decided to through in a BSc in Mathematics and Statistics (Applied route) with the Open University while doing the part time MSc QF. man, this has got to be the dumbest idea ever. if you start out with a plan like this, you are guaranteed to fail. do things one step at a time, and after you have accomplished something go for the next thing.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On