SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

EEGrad

life after quant

January 29th, 2010, 4:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Alekkso that's basically the same question: what can you do after a quant job ? You will maybe tell me that at the age of 50, after a career in the quantitative finance, you don't really need another job (at least financially speaking ?)I don't think this is true, assuming you have a family in the NY-NJ area. You could barely finish paying off mortgage, and your kids would be starting college: it could be a rather traumatic time for such a scenario.If you do not marry (have no kids) and live very frugally, maybe you can save maybe a million or a couple (if you are lucky) in 20 years, and then retire in some less expensive place/country.
Last edited by EEGrad on January 28th, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantmeh

life after quant

January 29th, 2010, 4:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: EEGrad then retire in some less expensive place/country.Haiti?

EEGrad

life after quant

January 29th, 2010, 4:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeanQuoteOriginally posted by: EEGrad then retire in some less expensive place/country.Haiti?If you are a bachelor than maybe Thailand is a better choice You can also maybe get an appointment as a professor in the local university, it will pay peanuts but there will be something to do in the day at least.

DevonFangs

life after quant

March 10th, 2015, 4:41 pm

given my mood today, it's appropriate to resurrect this threadhas anyone switched to the box-jellyfish-in-a-bathtub solution in the meantime? although presumably they wouldn't hang around here if they had

miquant

life after quant

July 1st, 2015, 5:36 pm

Well, interesting question, I personaly have been quant for almost 10 years, i am a phD, and I have nothing neer 1M ahahha, very far from that... so one advice, go into Quant only if you really think you will enjoy it more than academic stuff, you will not necesarily make more money than in other fields, especialy because working as a quant means living in an expensive city...

secret2

life after quant

July 2nd, 2015, 4:37 am

Still, living in an expensive city modestly can be very different financially from living expensively.

dweeb

life after quant

July 4th, 2015, 11:45 pm

Last edited by dweeb on July 4th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dweeb

life after quant

July 4th, 2015, 11:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Quite a few Finance PhDs got laid off last year. Most of them went to teach in the universities. They get university salaries approx $150K. Some of them tried to interview again on Wall Street but were getting offers of around $100K which is less than one sixth of what they were earning previously. Probably similar thing occured with the Physics, Math, and Engineering PhDs. So the Wall Street academic finance domain has shifted to stats/machine learning/comp linguistics etc??
Last edited by dweeb on July 4th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

life after quant

July 5th, 2015, 1:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: dweebQuoteOriginally posted by: traderjoe1976Quite a few Finance PhDs got laid off last year. Most of them went to teach in the universities. They get university salaries approx $150K. Some of them tried to interview again on Wall Street but were getting offers of around $100K which is less than one sixth of what they were earning previously. Probably similar thing occured with the Physics, Math, and Engineering PhDs. So the Wall Street academic finance domain has shifted to stats/machine learning/comp linguistics etc??100K won't go very far in NYC...
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik

ArthurDent

life after quant

July 5th, 2015, 3:01 pm

TJ's post about 100k salaries was from 2010...

Cuchulainn

life after quant

July 5th, 2015, 4:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ArthurDentTJ's post about 100k salaries was from 2010...Ah, thanks. I know someone who lives in NYC (not a high-flying quant). She said she needed 6K per month net just to survive.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on July 4th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On