Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

vbprogrammer
Topic Author

C++ course - thoughts on this one.

June 26th, 2010, 5:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DominicConnorIt's interesting, wonder if I should do a C++ course online, could be OK money.Actually I do, but it's part of the CQF, and the FAQ is that no, you can't do it separately.So the four options are this, self study, the CQF, and Daniel Duffy's C++I've yet to find a really good STL book, but Amazon will deliver you any number of OK ones, which will be cheaper.But vbprogrammer implies that he's the sort of person who benefits from lectures, that's an important piece of self knowledge, each person needs a different mix of being told, reading and doing.The CQF gets you me (and some Wilmott guy), and although it is 20 times as expensive could be a good option if you are serious about the whole quant / dev gig.(obvious disclaimer applies)Daniel is a known expert in this stuff, but you have to go to where he is teaching, AFAIK he doesn't do video.The syllabus looks reasonable, and C++ is a topic that rewards deep time experience so this guy looks like he can speak with authority.But I don't know this course, nor Andre Cavin.Since you've been a programmer I need not remind you that a course is at best a way of getting you started more quickly, and nothing can take the place of cutting code.Well, to begin with I used to be a reasonably good programmer but lost touch after doing more econometrics. I can pick C++ not be a quant developer but a quant who could program C++ reasonably well. This is more of a job security than anything; to improve my chances of finding the next job when in need. I do lot better with a curriculum than on my own. Self study is like a random number generator for me that someone else wrote. Half the time I am not even sure if it has the right distribution that I would want to have!
Last edited by vbprogrammer on June 25th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jikan

June 26th, 2010, 7:53 pm

A good teacher can save you a lot of time. If you follow a course given by someone with lots of experience you can learn some "details" that take quite a long time to learn by yourself. CQF C++ lessons are filled with some of those real world details. I think Daniel knows a lot of stuff too and his advanced C++ course looks really advanced, but he is obsessed by templates and patterns!!

vbprogrammer
Topic Author

June 26th, 2010, 8:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jikanA good teacher can save you a lot of time. If you follow a course given by someone with lots of experience you can learn some "details" that take quite a long time to learn by yourself. CQF C++ lessons are filled with some of those real world details. I think Daniel knows a lot of stuff too and his advanced C++ course looks really advanced, but he is obsessed by templates and patterns!! I am willing to take CQF C++ but it is not a stand alone package.Right?

Hansi

June 26th, 2010, 8:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: vbprogrammerQuoteOriginally posted by: jikanA good teacher can save you a lot of time. If you follow a course given by someone with lots of experience you can learn some "details" that take quite a long time to learn by yourself. CQF C++ lessons are filled with some of those real world details. I think Daniel knows a lot of stuff too and his advanced C++ course looks really advanced, but he is obsessed by templates and patterns!! I am willing to take CQF C++ but it is not a stand alone package.Right?Nope, as noted above:QuoteOriginally posted by: DominicConnorIt's interesting, wonder if I should do a C++ course online, could be OK money.Actually I do, but it's part of the CQF, and the FAQ is that no, you can't do it separately.

Cuchulainn

June 27th, 2010, 10:39 am

Quote[..] obsessed by templates and patterns!! More of a trend; template programming is an essential part of C++ and related libraries. There's no getting around it. OOP seems to be less useful for quant work. And patterns ensure that you do not re-invent the wheel each time. And complex s/w needs them.Courses minus the word "Advanced" exist as well.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 26th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quantmeh

June 27th, 2010, 2:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jikanA good teacher can save you a lot of timethere's so many things to learn at work. will you look for a good teacher for every little things? it doesn't work like that.