SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa
Topic Author

Doing research as a front office quant

January 22nd, 2011, 7:52 pm

A question for FO quants: how often did you have the opportunity to do some original research (defined as producing anything which would merit writing it up and posting on SSRN without making a fool of yourself)?
Last edited by katastrofa on January 21st, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Costeanu

January 22nd, 2011, 10:14 pm

In my case I would say roughly zero. My boss once told me that one thing I did would qualify as an MPU. MPU, for those in the know, means minimum publishing unit. I tend to think it's about 0.5 MPU's.I did some research on my own time though. I think as a FO quant research is really only a hobby.

ronwise

January 22nd, 2011, 10:22 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CosteanuIn my case I would say roughly zero. My boss once told me that one thing I did would qualify as an MPU. MPU, for those in the know, means minimum publishing unit. I tend to think it's about 0.5 MPU's.I did some research on my own time though. I think as a FO quant research is really only a hobby.+1sometimes I think of a middle-office quant job as a dream job and really thinking of moving there in a year or two. The bloody traders eat me alive sometime..

katastrofa
Topic Author

January 23rd, 2011, 10:01 am

Thanks, you confirmed what I thought. Do you agree that FO experience is helpful is later research?

VegaPlus

January 23rd, 2011, 11:04 am

It's helpful for you bank account

quantinenergies

January 23rd, 2011, 11:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaDo you agree that FO experience is helpful in later research?I agree. While working in FO, you encounter so many problems that are worth thinking about, and when you try to find an existing research there is none. You also develop a sense of what is an easy problem and what is not.The question is whether you are able to move from the revenue generating business to the non-revenue generating one.

mrmister

January 24th, 2011, 3:22 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantinenergiesQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaDo you agree that FO experience is helpful in later research?The question is whether you are able to move from the revenue generating business to the non-revenue generating one.Piece of cake. There are way too many people interested in moving in the other direction.

quantinenergies

January 24th, 2011, 1:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mrmisterQuoteOriginally posted by: quantinenergiesQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaDo you agree that FO experience is helpful in later research?The question is whether you are able to move from the revenue generating business to the non-revenue generating one.Piece of cake. There are way too many people interested in moving in the other direction.I meant something else. I meant whether your spouse would approve it :-); whether you can pay your mortgage payment; whether you don't care about the prestige and so on.

katastrofa
Topic Author

January 24th, 2011, 2:51 pm

Publishing papers may bring you more prestige in your spouse's eyes than bringing more cash.

EscapeArtist999

January 24th, 2011, 3:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaPublishing papers may bring you more prestige in your spouse's eyes than bringing more cash.Aaaaaaaaahahaaaahhhaaahhahhhhhhaaaaahhhaaaahhhhaaaaaahhaaaaah. Now THAT is funny!

Caesaria

January 24th, 2011, 3:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaPublishing papers may bring you more prestige in your spouse's eyes than bringing more cash.Sad that its not true at all.

DevonFangs

January 24th, 2011, 5:08 pm

I work in MV and I hereby confirm that indeed we would have enough free time to do some independent, quality research.- But we don't

DevonFangs

January 24th, 2011, 5:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mrmisterQuoteOriginally posted by: quantinenergiesQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaDo you agree that FO experience is helpful in later research?The question is whether you are able to move from the revenue generating business to the non-revenue generating one.Piece of cake. There are way too many people interested in moving in the other direction.In fact if anyone's interested in making an exchange, I'm here.

quantmeh

January 24th, 2011, 6:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaA question for FO quants: how often did you have the opportunity to do some original research (defined as producing anything which would merit writing it up and posting on SSRN without making a fool of yourself)?и рыбку сьесть и на х.. сесть (C) Russian proverb
Last edited by quantmeh on January 23rd, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa
Topic Author

January 24th, 2011, 10:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CaesariaQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaPublishing papers may bring you more prestige in your spouse's eyes than bringing more cash.Sad that its not true at all.Been there, done that.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On