Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

katastrofa

Quant Career Rage

April 2nd, 2012, 1:08 am

Prigogine did not share his Nobel with anyone.

Cuchulainn

Quant Career Rage

April 2nd, 2012, 4:30 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: spv205QuoteWhat no one here is mentioning is s/w design, maintenance and refactoring. Because no new models ==> less greenfield projects ==> more maintaining existing systems.Cuch don't depress them any further! Quants aren't good because they are great programmers. just as there are no new models, there are no new architectures- they are slotting code into an existing code library. adding a new payoff in quantlib is not the same as designing quantlib.In the beginning, application Functionality is important, then maintainability (stability, changeability etc.) become crucial. How to make it happen is an important issue.

SierpinskyJanitor

Quant Career Rage

April 2nd, 2012, 7:10 am

QuotePrigogine did not share his Nobel with anyone.indeed Kat, to be more precise Prof. Nicolis was co-heading the ULB/IRM research team when the Nobel was given, however, the award was only given to Prof. Prigogine indeed. Regardless, they have published really great stuff on irreversible thermodynamics, back in the time there was still a scientific field called physical chemistry, paving the way for the studies of complexity and non-linear phenomena. Luckily enough, we happened to have worked under their guidance back in 96/97/98. Good times.

DevonFangs

Quant Career Rage

April 2nd, 2012, 3:43 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaQuoteOriginally posted by: spv205QuoteWhat no one here is mentioning is s/w design, maintenance and refactoring. Because no new models ==> less greenfield projects ==> more maintaining existing systems.Cuch don't depress them any further! Quants aren't good because they are great programmers. just as there are no new models, there are no new architectures- they are slotting code into an existing code library. adding a new payoff in quantlib is not the same as designing quantlib.You imply that quantlib was designed by good programmers, which is not what I hear usually.I've heard this thing too but nobody ever cares to explain why. Is it for the problems with threads? Over-engineered?

SierpinskyJanitor

Quant Career Rage

April 2nd, 2012, 7:42 pm

No one knows it well enough to provide constructive feedback, because its far from obvious and takes time to learn. Saying it has been overengineered is a serious misunderstatement in the GWBush sense of the word. I do like qlib and qlnet and learnt a great deal therefrom.

DevonFangs

Quant Career Rage

April 2nd, 2012, 7:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: SierpinskyJanitorNo one knows it well enough to provide constructive feedback, because its far from obvious and takes time to learn. Saying it has been overengineered is a serious misunderstatement in the GWBush sense of the word. I do like qlib and qlnet and learnt a great deal therefrom.Yeah, I actually like QL too. I was reporting what I heard people saying. I think it'd be useful to hear also constructive negative comments, tho.
Last edited by DevonFangs on April 1st, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SierpinskyJanitor

Quant Career Rage

April 2nd, 2012, 9:14 pm

Devon, do you know what happened to qlnet? It seems the port has been discontinued and SWIG suggested as a solution, but I never really understood why.

Cuchulainn

Quant Career Rage

April 7th, 2012, 10:03 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: SierpinskyJanitorNo one knows it well enough to provide constructive feedback, because its far from obvious and takes time to learn. Saying it has been overengineered is a serious misunderstatement in the GWBush sense of the word. I do like qlib and qlnet and learnt a great deal therefrom.Yeah, I actually like QL too. I was reporting what I heard people saying. I think it'd be useful to hear also constructive negative comments, tho. I think if these libs were documented then - despite the complexity of the design (tight coupling) - developrs coud be writing applications in a shorter period of time than is now the case. I am only the messenger.Some constructive remarks for upgrades imo here "It'd be nice if the developers set up a wiki so that we all can contribute documentation to whatever part of the system we are familiar with. Look at wikipedia!"
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 6th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prfj

Quant Career Rage

April 10th, 2012, 10:50 am

The overall atmosphere here seems to imply best preparation for becoming a quant is at least a BSc in computer science coupled with some finmath degree, doesn't it?I'll never be a "quant" then, but that's fine, job title is not what is important ;-)

optionzen

Quant Career Rage

April 20th, 2012, 2:25 pm

Thanks for those links Polter! Printing them out right now. I have seen this problem emerge time and again in various places I've worked. No one questions the code and then they're surprised months later when there are errors. One firm had a model running for six months before they realized that the signals weren't updating properly!! Even funnier is that the model was doing well, hahaha!