Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Perpetual
Topic Author

Which Modling Job: Rates or MBS

April 27th, 2015, 1:04 pm

Got opportunity to entroll either modeling on Interest Rates or MBS. I do like both topics and have trouble to make decision. Want to have expert's advice.Thanks so much!!

bearish

April 27th, 2015, 9:31 pm

Buy side, sell side or vendor? Undergrad, masters or PhD level? Summer or full time? And what is "entroll"? A little more detail would make it easier to comment constructively.

Cuchulainn

April 28th, 2015, 6:44 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: bearishBuy side, sell side or vendor? Undergrad, masters or PhD level? Summer or full time? And what is "entroll"? A little more detail would make it easier to comment constructively.Some people say "enlist".

Perpetual
Topic Author

April 28th, 2015, 1:07 pm

Both are full time PhD level in bank.They are on the Risk Management side. Not sure what is "entroll".Is this enough information?

psibladeZX

April 28th, 2015, 4:47 pm

Depends which bank too... if it's GS/MS/JPM, go for the rates, that's what made the most money last year. Of course that's subject to change this year.Take either position and then try like hell to get out of risk management and into a proper front office spot. Sales and Trading FTW!
Last edited by psibladeZX on April 27th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

April 28th, 2015, 6:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PerpetualNot sure what is "entroll".enroll?

bearish

April 28th, 2015, 11:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PerpetualBoth are full time PhD level in bank.They are on the Risk Management side. Not sure what is "entroll".Is this enough information?OK -- will leave the entrolling issue alone. The rates job is obviously more general, but the post-crisis development in the MBS market has, I think, opened some opportunities for new research and modeling. Prepayment has become a lot more of a credit game relative to an almost pure rates thing. Different dealer models are really quite different, which means that there is money to be made by being right. Whether the role you are considering will expose you to this is hard to tell, but it is not an obvious decision. The usual condition applies: which people do you like more?

quantobe

April 30th, 2015, 9:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PerpetualGot opportunity to entroll either modeling on Interest Rates or MBS. I do like both topics and have trouble to make decision. Want to have expert's advice.Thanks so much!!MBS modelling? You are kidding right? AFAIK Everyone who is into MBS seriously uses Intex for cashflow generation, and Adco for PPR modelling, what remains is just plumbing.

bearish

May 1st, 2015, 11:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantobeQuoteOriginally posted by: PerpetualGot opportunity to entroll either modeling on Interest Rates or MBS. I do like both topics and have trouble to make decision. Want to have expert's advice.Thanks so much!!MBS modelling? You are kidding right? AFAIK Everyone who is into MBS seriously uses Intex for cashflow generation, and Adco for PPR modelling, what remains is just plumbing.I am glad you included an "AFAIK" modifier, because there is stuff taking place that you evidently don't know about. Intex is fine -- if you have a CMO on your hands, you would much rather use their cashflow engine than write you own, not to mention that they keep track of the deal status. But prepayment modeling is an area where it is possible to add value. I am not even sure what it means to be "into MBS seriously" and using a canned prepayment model.

Orbit

June 11th, 2015, 4:03 pm

I've done MBS modeling and I think it's very challenging and wide open for clever people to add value. I made money. Believe me there are real financial problems that need intelligent angles. Other rates topics might be fun as well, but MBS is a GIGANTIC market with a very low profile and few "ace fighter pilots."