Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Neither
Topic Author

Recruiter Question

May 2nd, 2015, 3:22 pm

thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated!
Last edited by Neither on May 1st, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hansi

Recruiter Question

May 2nd, 2015, 4:12 pm

If anything looks off, just walk away. There are enough other options out there.

Marco72

Recruiter Question

May 2nd, 2015, 5:13 pm

I used to work for a firm that made use of recruiters, and had a similar note on their website. I think they did it to avoid being spammed by recruitment agencies.

Cuchulainn

Recruiter Question

May 2nd, 2015, 5:30 pm

Last edited by Cuchulainn on May 3rd, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neither
Topic Author

Recruiter Question

May 2nd, 2015, 5:33 pm

@Hansi - thank you for the reply. Just to clarify, I've found the posting also on the company's career site, which has the disclaimer note. So, the role is legitimate from what I can tell.@Marco, that makes sense if it's just to filter out the amount of spam. Now I wonder if there's even any use of going through the recruiters if the job is already publicly available.

tags

Recruiter Question

May 2nd, 2015, 5:53 pm

QuoteSomehow, the situation doesn't jibe well with me, and would be much more comfortable applying via the official site instead.You know the company. You have the job description.Give a call/write an email to the quant manager. No in-betweens.

Neither
Topic Author

Recruiter Question

May 2nd, 2015, 6:01 pm

@tagoma, thank you, you're right, going to keep the process simple.

QuantOption

Recruiter Question

May 2nd, 2015, 8:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Neither@tagoma, thank you, you're right, going to keep the process simple.It might not be as simple as you think. People talk, industry is small. How do you know which company has that opening, isn't it from the HH? And now you want to apply directly?"Now I wonder if there's even any use of going through the recruiters if the job is already publicly available."There is, if you apply, you application ends up in HR system, the hiring manager might or might not have direct access to all those CVs. Your HH might have a good relationship with the hiring manager and can put your CV straight on his/her table. Or if HH finds out that you applied he/she might again talk to hiring manager, at which point he/she wouldn't want any trouble and your CV goes straight to bin. Or not, your choice ... integrity
Last edited by QuantOption on May 1st, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearish

Recruiter Question

May 2nd, 2015, 9:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: QuantOptionQuoteOriginally posted by: Neither@tagoma, thank you, you're right, going to keep the process simple.It might not be as simple as you think. People talk, industry is small. How do you know which company has that opening, isn't it from the HH? And now you want to apply directly?"Now I wonder if there's even any use of going through the recruiters if the job is already publicly available."There is, if you apply, you application ends up in HR system, the hiring manager might or might not have direct access to all those CVs. Your HH might have a good relationship with the hiring manager and can put your CV straight on his/her table. Or if HH finds out that you applied he/she might again talk to hiring manager, at which point he/she wouldn't want any trouble and your CV goes straight to bin. Or not, your choice ... integrityThis thread has now got more confusing by OP, in effect, having removed his initial inquiry, which is not good form. One jarring note of dissonance in that (now invisible) post, though, was the notion that the recruiter was seeking to "represent" him to the hiring firm. This may be a matter of local culture, but in the markets with which I have some familiarity, recruiters emphatically do not represent candidates -- they work for the hiring company to source talent, typically on a contingency basis. Couple this with a public posting of the position that rules out resume submission from recruiters and the fact that the recruiter's inquiry was a Linkedin cold-call (so to speak), and I am not sure how much OP should feel honor bound to work through the recruiter. In fact, it is very easy to envision scenarios where having your resume submitted by a recruiter could automatically disqualify you from further consideration. I routinely do that myself to hapless candidates whose resumes get carpet bombed in my direction by a certain large UK based company that has been discussed in this forum in the past.

Marco72

Recruiter Question

May 3rd, 2015, 11:42 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Neither@Hansi - thank you for the reply. Just to clarify, I've found the posting also on the company's career site, which has the disclaimer note. So, the role is legitimate from what I can tell.@Marco, that makes sense if it's just to filter out the amount of spam. Now I wonder if there's even any use of going through the recruiters if the job is already publicly available.Sometimes there are benefits in going through a recruiter. The hiring manager at the company could forget about you at any stage, whereas recruiters will sometimes keep pestering him until he has made a decision.

DevonFangs

Recruiter Question

May 8th, 2015, 4:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Neitherthanks for everyone's input, much appreciated!did you delete the original question? you did that in another thread as well

Rrolack2

Recruiter Question

May 9th, 2015, 3:58 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DevonFangsQuoteOriginally posted by: Neitherthanks for everyone's input, much appreciated!did you delete the original question? you did that in another thread as wellI suspect the OP will not respond to this, so I will. Yes, he deleted the original question. No idea why.

billypilgrim

Recruiter Question

May 10th, 2015, 1:23 am

sometimes it's better to delete the details Job offer revoked after Engineer discusses pros & cons on Internet forum
Last edited by billypilgrim on May 9th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.