Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

SierpinskyJanitor
Topic Author

From Q-Finance to Computational Neuroscience and/or BioInformatics

May 30th, 2015, 10:50 am

Hi All,has anyone met a fellow q-dev/quant who has left the wonderful world of Ponzinomics to do some neuroComp or bioInformatics? ... kinda wondering about following this route bu have no idea where to search and what to learn,regards,Serp

katastrofa

May 31st, 2015, 9:35 pm

Systems biology, complex systems' dynamics, signalling networks, etc. I would wish you good luck, but I'm practicing not being ironic.

Cuchulainn

June 1st, 2015, 7:17 am

Quote being ironic.I would say it's a bit of wishful thinking/high risk to bet on these topics.I spoke to Dominic Connor a few weeks ago. He mentioned that Excel and VBA still has opportunities. C# is becoming popular.OP's topics tend to be very research/greenfield. I think that era is gone. Even if you go for fashionable bioinformatics the field might collapse in 10 years time and you have to start all over again.COBOL? Someone said this to me few weeks ago..QuoteOur (steel-making) factory has 20,000 COBOL programs.The clue here is to learn the business. Software technology tends to be a fad.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on May 31st, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SierpinskyJanitor
Topic Author

June 3rd, 2015, 9:38 am

Good point Cuch, Katastrofa.subject matter/domain expertise indeedy - life after Ponzinomics, .... not an easy decision do make, what to learn, etc... esp. for those who were not so lucky (I'd say the vast majority)... we gotta keep on grinding. Many people coming from Labs/Sw/IT land in Ponziland if they have the right skills, know their stuff and are lucky (arguably - in hindsight), but where do we go afterwards? Assuming working all your life in Ponzi is not a serious option...cheers,Serp

andyusa1

June 10th, 2015, 3:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: SierpinskyJanitorHi All,has anyone met a fellow q-dev/quant who has left the wonderful world of Ponzinomics to do some neuroComp or bioInformatics? ... kinda wondering about following this route bu have no idea where to search and what to learn,regards,SerpThis thread might be of interest to you
Last edited by andyusa1 on June 9th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.