SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

maneesh

How can I simulate correlated random numbers?

October 7th, 2008, 10:16 am

here is an interesting way to simulate correlated random numbers that I learnt recently from my boss. I thought I will share it. I had asked a question in interview about generating two correlated uniform random numbers and was expecting a standard answer. My boss told me a interestin way:1) I generate three uniform random numbers u1, u2 and u3.2) with probability p i pick up u1 and with prob (1-p) i pick u2 i.e i generate from mixture u43) now look at the corr between u3 and u4 ;-)I luved the soln.It can be generlised for a class of distribution. I will let you think abt it.

leonpollard

April 26th, 2009, 5:01 am

As mentioned the most correct method isGenerate vector of RV's ~N[0,1].Use the cholesky decompostion of the covariance matrix to transform this vector.For an XLL Excel Addin implementation of the two required functions goto:Function: randStd() at www.PimpMyExcel.com Function: CholeskyDC() at www.PimpMyExcel.com

yoonus

May 14th, 2009, 3:35 am

If you want to generate two sets of correlated N(0,1) random number 1. Generated Z1, Z2 independent N(0,1)2. rho is correlation coefficient 3. Set e1 = z1 and e2 = rho*e1+sqrt(1-rho^2)*z24. e1 and e2 will have correlation of rho..if you want to generate more correlated random variableIF z ~ N(0,I) then AZ ~ N (0,AA^t)find the choelsky decomposition of E (variance - covariance matrix )that is E = L^t Lthen X ~ U + L^t ZThen X follows mutivariate correlated random variable

Shtrauss

November 12th, 2009, 9:30 pm

is there a way to complement Choelsky decomposition for AZ? i.e. find these E and U in say matlab or R without using a pre-written algorithm?

QuantOption

February 12th, 2010, 4:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: maneesh ... I had asked a question in interview about generating two correlated uniform random numbers and was expecting a standard answer.so what is the standard answer? thanks
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On