Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Questions on the new style

July 13th, 2016, 1:24 pm

1. How do I create a PM?
2. How come the default post order is from oldest to most recent (and how can I change this ).
3. What happened to my blog?

trackstar

Re: Questions on the new style

July 13th, 2016, 1:53 pm

In case you are not just having a laugh:

1. On the right hand side of the screen near the top you should see an envelope - clicking that takes you to the PM function.

I will send you one in a minute to see if it works.

2. Order of posts in view: You can change this in your profile.  It is still a little flakey (sometimes profile and settings options will appear under my icon when I hover over it with pointer, again on the upper right hand side, and sometimes not.  But I did manage to change to descending chrono.

3. Blogs - yes, hopefully they are part of the plan and will be restored.  I am sure that admin is out straight right now.

and for me 

4. Do we really need a running count of how many times we edit our posts?  ;)  Yes, I can be a little OC sometimes, about editing and the like, but I am by no means alone.  

And suffice it to say, I have already edited this twice, for clarity's sake and to get rid of an emoticon...  :D

admin
Site Admin

July 13th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Hiding the number of times you've edited a post might be a nice paid feature for premium accounts?

Blogs are getting restored, it's a manual process and takes some time.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

July 13th, 2016, 2:02 pm

I am gonna add Track and ppauper to my list of friends.
Is it possible to stop ppauper deleting his posts?

Alan

July 13th, 2016, 2:09 pm

Absolutely agree with trackstar re edit counts. This is an ugly feature. Please disable it and just put the time of the last edit.
(I assume admin is joking re 'premium feature', but if not, we could have much discussion of why an edit count is a bad idea ...)

p.s. Is it really necessary to note that I joined the forum at '4:01 am', and the day of the week, no less!
My suggestion: drop the time and day of week and get the 'joined line' to always fit in one line: in my case, say Dec 19, 2001
Last edited by Alan on July 13th, 2016, 2:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

July 13th, 2016, 2:13 pm

I am thinking of a foe list but cannot think of anyone. People are so friendly here.

trackstar

July 13th, 2016, 2:24 pm

Hiding the number of times you've edited a post might be a nice paid feature for premium accounts?

Blogs are getting restored, it's a manual process and takes some time.
Hmmm.  Premium  features to me would be, as we have discussed before, tea and scones at the proper time each afternoon.
Sponsoring a racing yacht for a North Sea Quant challenge would also be of interest.  I am a decent tactician and I can cook aboard any kind of seaworthy vessel.
As for paying to hide my editing behavior - not a chance.  I would just strive for less perfection, would add new posts instead of augmenting old ones, and would otherwise let the chips fall where they may.
Yours very truly in OCD charm.  :)
TS
Last edited by trackstar on July 14th, 2016, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

July 13th, 2016, 2:25 pm

I am thinking of a foe list but cannot think of anyone. People are so friendly here.
LOL.  You are such a kind, wise, and benevolent being.  How could you have foes?

PS: (unrelated issue) I have only been on site a few times since the launch, but when I try to log out now, it generally won't let me go. 

Is that a bug or a feature?  

We'll Never Have to Say Goodbye Again.  :D
Last edited by trackstar on July 14th, 2016, 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

admin
Site Admin

July 13th, 2016, 2:36 pm

We've removed the edit counter (thanks TS for the large donation you made via PayPal). 

Alan is right about the needless precision in the registration date. We will do that eventually,.. first there are more important things like the old attachments..

Traden4Alpha

July 13th, 2016, 2:38 pm

LOL.  You are such a kind, wise, and benevolent being.  How could you have foes?

PS: (unrelated issue) I have only been on site a few times since the launch, but when I try to log out now, it generally won't let me go. 

Might it be a side effect of selecting "Remember Me" on the login panel so that if you logout and the page reloads it sees it's you and logs you back in?

trackstar

July 13th, 2016, 2:42 pm

Might it be a side effect of selecting "Remember Me" on the login panel so that if you logout and the page reloads it sees it's you and logs you back in?
Nope, I never asked it to "please remember me."  
Some of us are
Last edited by trackstar on July 14th, 2016, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alan

July 13th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Under the editor, need one more button, 'Cancel'?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

July 13th, 2016, 3:59 pm

trackstar

July 13th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Do you have any more questions about how things work around here?  I am going out to get my mail now, but will be back to help if needed.  :D

In the meantime, I will let Diana serenade you.  I love this slinky, smooth little tune.  Toast to bearish: champaign on ice.

Alan

July 13th, 2016, 5:40 pm

Post times are useful, but only if there is a display of the local time!