SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ScilabGuru

the tigers and the deer

August 9th, 2004, 1:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: beatarmy96I respectfully disagree with the answer that an odd number of tigers means the deer will get eaten while an even number means it will not. Let me respectively disagree with you, beatarmy. Utility function should put surviving factor on the first place, otherwise it does not make sense. The pleasure from eating "deer" is a benefit from evolution to get enjoed while increasing your chances to survive ( the same for sex etc ). Once you got this paradoxal situation that this pleasure with 100% probablity brings your to death ....Are you going to die just because of 1 good dinner? Considetation like "to eat once in the life a deer and die satisfied " is quite utopic. However, in Japan there is such fish, I forgot its name. THis fish is totally poisoned in all its parts and this is real art to cook it in some special way to reduce the risk of the death. However, some of Japaneeses do eat this fish taking this risk. Every year the number of deaths occurs from this. It seems they are relative to these tigers who is going to eat for pleasure and death.

tristanreid

the tigers and the deer

August 9th, 2004, 6:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ScilabGuruQuoteOriginally posted by: beatarmy96I respectfully disagree with the answer that an odd number of tigers means the deer will get eaten while an even number means it will not. ...However, in Japan there is such fish, I forgot its name. THis fish is totally poisoned in all its parts and this is real art to cook it in some special way to reduce the risk of the death. However, some of Japaneeses do eat this fish taking this risk. Every year the number of deaths occurs from this. It seems they are relative to these tigers who is going to eat for pleasure and death.You're thinking of fugu, which is the Japanese word for blowfish. Their poison is more than 1000 times deadlier than cyanide. Interestingly, the poison is not created by the fish, it's created by bacteria that reside in the fish. Another interesting fact: Fugu is one of the only fish that can close its eyes. Presumably so that it doesn't have to see the gruesome deaths that it causes.An old Japanese fable tells that 3 men weren't sure if they could eat a fugu stew so they gave some to a beggar. They looked in on him later and saw that he was still alive, so they ate it. Later the beggar came up to them and said that since they were still alive, he was going to eat the stew. He had been waiting on them.It's not actually poisonous in all of its parts, the art of preparing fugu is in knowing exactly which parts are poisonous. The supremely talented chefs use a very minute portion of the poisonous parts so that you get a prickly sensation when you eat it.It's amazing the types of irrelevant things you can learn by reading these forums...-t.

tristanreid

the tigers and the deer

August 11th, 2004, 9:41 pm

Those pieces of random trivia brought to you by www.wikipedia.org. Pufferfish was the featured article of the day last Sunday or so, and I just happened to read it right before seeing the previous post...wikipedia is an information source with awesome potential, by the way. If you haven't checked it out, I highly recommend it.-t.

bluehonour

the tigers and the deer

September 26th, 2006, 6:25 am

Sorry for renewing this post but it seems to me that there is no agreement on the solution of this question. I agree with the initial solution that the first lion eats the deer and the population stabilizes at 98 lions and 2 deers. Does anyone know the solution?

mensa0

the tigers and the deer

September 29th, 2006, 10:29 am

If one assumes all tigers are rational, then the deer will not be eaten if there is more than one tiger. I assume that no tiger wants to turn into a deer and be eaten, so if there are two tigers, neither will step forward to eat the deer, for he will then turn into a deer and be eaten. If there are three tigers, none will volunteer to "go first" even though he knows that at the next "step" he will not be eaten. This same argument is valid for 4,5,6,... tigers.Mike

timeds

the tigers and the deer

September 29th, 2006, 3:28 pm

In support of earlier solutions (yes ... it was solved)Assume everything acts rationally.1) Suppose there are n tigers and one deer. Suppose also that you have solved this problem and the deer won't be eaten. It's easy to see that if there are (n+1) tigers and one deer it's worth eating the deer. The next state will be the n tigers and one deer as above.2) Suppose there are n tigers and one deer. Suppose also that you have solved this problem and the deer will be eaten. It's easy to see that if there are (n+1) tigers and one deer then it's not worth eating the deer.3) Since you know what happens with one tiger and one deer (it gets eaten) you can use induction to deduce that if you start with an odd number of tigers, one deer gets eaten and that's the end of it. An even number and it's grass all round.Clear enough?

noexpert

the tigers and the deer

July 3rd, 2007, 1:24 am

I think mensa is right. I am not quite sure if the even/odd logic is correct. Can someone explain me this again ?QuoteOriginally posted by: mensa0If one assumes all tigers are rational, then the deer will not be eaten if there is more than one tiger. I assume that no tiger wants to turn into a deer and be eaten, so if there are two tigers, neither will step forward to eat the deer, for he will then turn into a deer and be eaten. If there are three tigers, none will volunteer to "go first" even though he knows that at the next "step" he will not be eaten. This same argument is valid for 4,5,6,... tigers.Mike
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On