Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Milanium
Topic Author

Real estate in Amsterdam

February 7th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Growth
Amsterdam has 854.000 residencies in 2018 (source CBS). The expectancy is that Amsterdam will have 1million residencies in 2030. This is because of the attraction factor of the city. The average growth in residential property will grow 3/4th in bigger municipalities (CBS). Migration in 2017 grew the population by 11.500 properties. Roughly 4 out of 5 are people who migrated to Amsterdam. Because of birth in 2017 it grew 5000 residencies. Big corporations also played a role in the growth of the city. Because of Brexit, New York Times is speculating that Amsterdam will be the Financial Capital of the world.
Shortage of houses.
In 2013 a house in Amsterdam would cost on an average base 224.400.00euro and in 2017 409.000 (source NVM). This is a revenue of 82%. What is causing this rapid price increase? One of the causes is because there are no new houses being build. Therefore, we see scarcity and rises in property value. From the living agenda of 2017 we can see that Amsterdam needs 250.000.00 new properties. In 2025 we will see a shortage of 60.546 houses in Metroolpool region Amsterdam (Source : woonagenda Amsterdam 2025). In 2018 Amsterdam started with building an extra 8639 properties. “But even with this we are not solving the need of places to live”, says Lawman Laurens Ivens (living). The municipality has then decided to add another 7500 new places in the new plans.
There is not enough space within the city of Amsterdam
With these new building tasks there is an inevitable space problem within the city. Building within the city takes longer and is more expensive then developing new locations outside the city. The municipality Amsterdam says: “Locations are scarce in Amsterdam. With searching for the right locations for new houses and projects we are focusing on the outside Amsterdam North and the outside the ring A-10” (Source: Municipality Amsterdam). Building in still open locations North of Amsterdam is there for necessary to cope with the immense demand for housing” Prof .ir . Tjeerd Dijkstra. According to Duco City (Alderman of spatial planning and housing) in the future, the Ring A-10 will increasingly be relegated to a city boulevard, so that extra construction on both sides is possible. Duco Stadig wants to create new housing locations in several areas beyond the Ring A-10 in currently agricultural areas.
Outside Areas
The land in the outside area is owned by professional market parties such as the municipality and real estate companies. Due to the dominant role of these players and the high demand for new homes in Amsterdam, the expectation is that agricultural land in the vicinity of the city will be built up in the future. Agricultural land now costs an average of 160 euros in this zone and the building land prices in Amsterdam North are between 500, - and 2.250, - per m2 (source: Land prices letter). The price difference between agricultural land and building land is therefore huge.

What is your opinion on this topic and investing in strategically located lands? Do you want more information? Sent me a pm.

Milan Lisser Milanium
Attachments
grondpositie amsterdam.png

ppauper

Re: Real estate in Amsterdam

February 7th, 2019, 2:13 pm

some of the apartments in Amstedam are tiny, no bigger than a phone booth, and no privacy either. At least draw the curtains so we can't see you wandering around in your underwear

Cuchulainn

February 7th, 2019, 3:54 pm

What is your opinion on this topic and investing in strategically located lands? Because of Brexit, New York Times is speculating that Amsterdam will be the Financial Capital of the world.
LOL! How about property near A10? Delusional.

BTW the text needs to be translated into business/correct English. Is it a student project from the Hogeschoool?

I get a ring about every 6 months by people like your good self wanting to sell me agricultural land for speculation. BTW, have you planning permission to build?

The price difference between agricultural land and building land is therefore huge.
And there is a reason why.

bearish

February 8th, 2019, 12:43 am

some of the apartments in Amstedam are tiny, no bigger than a phone booth, and no privacy either. At least draw the curtains so we can't see you wandering around in your underwear
A little experience would teach you that what you see is merely an anteroom. There is more to be had in the back.

Cuchulainn

February 8th, 2019, 8:39 am

How do you know that, bearish, what?

I remember driving with trackstar in that industrial area outside Amsterdam. It's called Westport if you want to know.

trackstar

February 8th, 2019, 10:09 am

How do you know that, bearish, what?

I remember driving with trackstar in that industrial area outside Amsterdam. It's called Westport if you want to know.
Haha! Yes, we also stopped at a large horse farm where I think one of the Netherlands Olympic riders trains and then went to the beach where people were flying kites and riding horses.

Just to give a more complete picture of the day... :)

Cuchulainn

February 8th, 2019, 2:14 pm

people were flying kites and riding horses.
Takes years of training.

bearish

February 8th, 2019, 2:27 pm

I was visualizing riding kites and flying horses. Like some 70’s rock album art.

Cuchulainn

February 8th, 2019, 5:31 pm

I was visualizing riding kites and flying horses. Like some 70’s rock album art.
high as a kite

bearish

February 9th, 2019, 2:40 am

That definitely fits the bill -- excellent music and memories!
By one of those harmonic convergence events, here is a story from CNN today:
I love sex.

Christomius

April 14th, 2019, 5:09 pm

I've been to Netherlands several times and last time I visited my friend who 3 year ago decided to buy property in Amsterdam  and I was surprised with a size of it. Apartment was really small, maybe because he bought it in the center with a view to the river but still if I would be investing the same amount of money I would choose differently and wisely. 

Cuchulainn

April 14th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Good to know. I'll keep it in mind.

Christomius

April 15th, 2019, 8:20 am

Good to know. I'll keep it in mind.
You are welcome

Cuchulainn

September 14th, 2023, 4:16 pm

Mike Tyson opens up coffee shop in Amsterdam - and this is where to go to find it

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/boxin ... m-29573290

Mike got the idea from Pulp Fiction?

Alan

September 16th, 2023, 2:56 pm

Mike Tyson opens up coffee shop in Amsterdam - and this is where to go to find it

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/boxin ... m-29573290

Mike got the idea from Pulp Fiction?
Maybe Pulp Fiction + Casablanca?