Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

darkblue
Topic Author

bank valuation

May 2nd, 2005, 8:02 pm

I know thats not really quant finance but since there are a lot of people out there who know a lot about finance and seem to be really willing to help: does anybody know a good source on the web for this? Thanks!

erstwhile

bank valuation

May 2nd, 2005, 8:45 pm

as a non-fundamental guy who employs a fundamental guy, i can tell you what my guy would say: "banks? who knows what f*cked up sh*t they have got in off-balance sheet this-that-or-the-other.stick to what you can kick!"(he isn't a bank analyst)

DavidJN

bank valuation

May 2nd, 2005, 9:17 pm

I respectfully beg to differ about bank valuation not being quant work. Many retail bank products have embedded options that are frequently not exercised in an economically rational fashion. As a result, one has to "behavioralize" their models and attempt to predict consumer behavior, so it turns out to be more difficult than valuing most interbank products. That banking results are often buried in useless accrual accounting is an artifact which won't last much longer, so it should be a pretty good time to think about this possible career path.

mrbadguy

bank valuation

May 4th, 2005, 11:54 am

Check these links:Bank Valuation xlsBank Valuation pdfBank Valuation pptif they aren't enough see Damodaran Valuation Home Page at:Damodaranregards,

KTE

bank valuation

May 4th, 2005, 2:18 pm

There is sometimes good money to be made (or lost) investing in smaller banks, at least in the U.S. Try www.bankstock.com It's not a highbrow analytical site, but it leads to information that may help with your quesiton.