SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Kamil90
Topic Author

career as a rates quant

September 16th, 2014, 5:49 pm

I?m in search for some practical advice. I am just beginning my quant career in the rates business in one of the US investment banks. I do have a good academic technical background but I think I will gain more knowledge as I go along which relevant for finance. I know there are a number of different products that people trade now less actively than before due to regulations and low volatility. In particular, exotic instruments. Therefore it probably won?t be a very marketable quality if I were to know the math for those products. But then, what are the essential qualities one should have in the coming years to be successful as a quant in rates? Shall I improve my coding? Or statistical skills? Shall I still learn more stochastic analysis? Where all this field is heading to and how can I prepare myself for the coming years?

Gamal

career as a rates quant

September 16th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Take good long vacances, it's the last opportunity.

andrewchung83

career as a rates quant

September 28th, 2014, 11:12 pm

people have short memories, get into it now. Establish yourself now, and people will start to trade very exotic stuff again that weave through the regulatory framework until the system falls apart. By then you would have decent bonuses to be ok to lose your job.

DevonFangs

career as a rates quant

October 16th, 2014, 3:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Kamil90I?m in search for some practical advice. I am just beginning my quant career in the rates business in one of the US investment banks. I do have a good academic technical background but I think I will gain more knowledge as I go along which relevant for finance. I know there are a number of different products that people trade now less actively than before due to regulations and low volatility. In particular, exotic instruments. Therefore it probably won?t be a very marketable quality if I were to know the math for those products. But then, what are the essential qualities one should have in the coming years to be successful as a quant in rates? Shall I improve my coding? Or statistical skills? Shall I still learn more stochastic analysis? Where all this field is heading to and how can I prepare myself for the coming years?careers section

Orbit

career as a rates quant

October 20th, 2014, 4:03 pm

Kamil90It's over, dude. Sorry.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On