Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Re: The Final Frontier: negative probability in Machine Learning

June 20th, 2019, 6:39 pm

And what about "fake AI"

katastrofa

Re: The Final Frontier: negative probability in Machine Learning

June 20th, 2019, 11:05 pm

My personal opinion - What I would do is recompute the probability so it's not negative. Problem solved. Probably you need to do something simple with a ratio to adjust P(not) upwards. Create an error handling function.

You're probably looking at something other than a probability or using an incorrect distribution. Something went wrong. Someone once told me that they computed a correlation higher than 1. I don't doubt it happened, I just acknowledge that something unanticipated happened with your math and you need to fix it.

We have a bigger problem with AI, which is probability distributions that look like waves (multi-modal distributions). You have a missing categorical variable, but until you get it you need to either split the data or do something with it. Also, multi-modal distributions overlap, so they are difficult to bifurcate. Do you perform a custom transformation? Do you run k-means and try to impute the category? It's a complete pain in the ass.
Are you talking about generative models or what really?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On