SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

blaugranabhoy
Topic Author

CLO default correlation

June 20th, 2011, 9:14 am

Hi,I'm trying to model a CLO structure as simply as possible and have taken the approach of modelling default probabilities as Bernoulli random variables, and then applying a correlation effect between these entities. On a very high level, I was wondering how this correlation is achieved. I haven't simulated binary variables previously, having only looked at equity/index simulation with correlation.Any help would be very welcome.

Costeanu

CLO default correlation

June 23rd, 2011, 1:10 am

You should read about the "gaussian copula" credit model. It's quite famous, and it landed a place of honor on Paul's "Name and shame" list (some people think the gaussian copula caused the crisis). Observing a Bernoulli variable X (1 with p, 0 with 1-p) is the same as observing a normal variable Y and comparing it with a treshold N^{-1}(p). You could call the variable Y the gaussian driver of X. Now correlating a number of Bernoulli variables can be done by correlating their gaussian drivers. Best,V.

blaugranabhoy
Topic Author

CLO default correlation

July 9th, 2011, 9:09 pm

Thanks Costeanu...hadn't checked boards for a while (so didn't see your response) but had used the approach you suggested for my model. Appreciate your response.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On