SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

End of bitcoin?

February 21st, 2014, 1:34 pm

Unlike you, I never had the dog run away from me. You probably didn't love your dog.

farmer

End of bitcoin?

February 21st, 2014, 3:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaUnlike you, I never had the dog run away from me. You probably didn't love your dog.If it runs away, it is not a dog, it is a libertarian. And that bothers you.

zerdna

End of bitcoin?

February 21st, 2014, 5:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaUnlike you, I never had the dog run away from me. You probably didn't love your dog.If it runs away, it is not a dog, it is a libertarian. And that bothers you.I think there is a dose of empirical truth in both observations. I've been surprised for a long time of how much love people have for their dogs in US. Most of the dogs are neutered, never had a taste of raw meat, they generally look small, fat, sleepy, sickish, and void of some sort of basic vitality that i came to expect from a dog. Like desires to run, jump, bark, eat meat, hump bitches, get into a fight. Dogs here seem to look down at plebian things like that with superiority of overweight gay liberal intellectual looking down at life activity in an Irish bar. So i guess love is the part of why they don't run away.As far as why they do run away where they run away, there were two types of dogs that i saw doing that. One type is a libertarian. And the other one is just a stupid dog -- it doesn't really run away, it gets lost.

farmer

End of bitcoin?

February 21st, 2014, 5:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaMost of the dogs are neutered, never had a taste of raw meat, they generally look small, fat, sleepy, sickish, and void of some sort of basic vitality that i came to expect from a dog. Like desires to run, jump, bark, eat meat, hump bitches, get into a fight.I can only speak for my dogs. But I think all hunting dogs, or at least bird dogs, will be similar. They won't eat raw meat, rather they cooperate by bringing raw meat to me. They will eat cooked meat, cooked bones, fat, skin, and biscuits. They won't kill an animal, except when it 1) is threatening me or one of them, 2) is a bird, or 3) is a competing dog that will not submit. Other animals they bark at to distract, flush, and alert, and expect me to kill (and cook) them.Some of my dogs may attempt to get overweight. But this seems to be influenced by other dogs. A weaker dog will attempt to eat any available food, if there is a bigger dog around, to prevent the bigger dog from getting it.As bird dogs, they are bred to be below a certain size. Otherwise, they will not have enough energy, for long enough, to catch as many birds as someone would want to catch. Being small also increases their lifespan, which creates an opportunity for better training and more selective breeding.

farmer

End of bitcoin?

February 25th, 2014, 8:11 pm

I think a peer-to-peer currency can be useful. But this one needs to be fixed. It needs to be less stealable, yet more easily transferable, and also with some price-stability mechanisms. I had some ideas how to change the protocol to achieve the first objectives. I forgot them, but they were pretty obvious.

Alan
Topic Author

End of bitcoin?

February 25th, 2014, 10:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerI think a peer-to-peer currency can be useful. But this one needs to be fixed. It needs to be less stealable, yet more easily transferable, and also with some price-stability mechanisms. I had some ideas how to change the protocol to achieve the first objectives. I forgot them, but they were pretty obvious.Go for it -- anybody can play. FarmerCoin, here we come

farmer

End of bitcoin?

February 26th, 2014, 12:18 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: AlanGo for it -- anybody can play. FarmerCoin, here we come Actually, I started my own currency Martian Money back in 2004 or 2005. But I did not follow through with it because I was living in the Bahamas, and they are crazy about money laundering. Specifically about extorting a percentage. So if they saw I had some Martian Money thing they would have locked me in Turkey Hill and not let me out until I came up with $500,000.My idea was to use USA $20, $50, and $100 bills, but with a web site to validate specific serial numbers as Martian Money worth X, where X was greater than the dollar face amount. I would prop up the value by promising to redeem bil XYZ123 for $1000, or whatever. And then hopefully the subset of rare bills with Martian valid serial numbers would take a self-perpetuating value of their own.

Alan
Topic Author

End of bitcoin?

February 26th, 2014, 12:33 am

There's a trick to that. Here's a $20 selling for $1275

farmer

End of bitcoin?

February 27th, 2014, 6:07 am

What I will probably do is just put up a web site selling things in bitcoins. Probably flat panel TV for $150 or something, crack cocaine, Chinese whore prisoner, who gives a fuck. Then every time their money transfer to me is validated, I will automatically email them telling them to send it again. Finally, when they run out, I will send and email that says hahaha gofuckyourself faggot. Because these bitcoin people are funny like that, they like to give it away.

farmer

End of bitcoin?

February 28th, 2014, 11:54 pm

I never would have guessed the obvious: Mtgox had their own cash savings in bitcoins.

Alan
Topic Author

End of bitcoin?

March 2nd, 2014, 12:13 am

next shoe to drop?BTC-e -- Anonymity reigns at world's second-largest bitcoin exchangeQuote Collapse of MtGox.com puts bitcoin accountability issue squarely in focus.Its founders and owners are supposedly called Aleksey and Alexander, which could be pseudonymous, and they may or may not be young and/or Russian ... Source: bitcoincharts.com
Last edited by Alan on March 1st, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

End of bitcoin?

March 2nd, 2014, 1:20 am

I lost all my bitcoins in an erroneous transaction with bitmillions.com and I don't know how. Please help me make sense of this."Forgetting (or not knowing) to add a change output and thus spending your whole balance on miner fees is probably the most common mistake with the raw transaction api."There's only one word which describes a currency system which works like that, and this word is "RIDICULOUS".

farmer

End of bitcoin?

March 2nd, 2014, 8:05 am

Is there anyone who uses bitcoins who is not an idiot?QuoteDevon Weller, a 40-year-old freelance Web developer in Nashville who said he had a "small amount" of bitcoins stashed at Mt. Gox, tossed aside his regular work Friday morning to start looking for missing bitcoins. He tapped into the public ledger from his home office and started following the trail of large transactions. "I haven't gotten very far, but it's one of those things that is going to eat away at me," said Mr. Weller.Supposedly all these people started searching the ledgers for the missing bitcoins after mtgox filed for bankruptcy. They didn't realize three weeks ago that someone had stolen the bitcoins? It didn't start to "eat away" at him six months ago when mtgox started delaying withdrawals?

Traden4Alpha

End of bitcoin?

March 2nd, 2014, 1:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaI lost all my bitcoins in an erroneous transaction with bitmillions.com and I don't know how. Please help me make sense of this."Forgetting (or not knowing) to add a change output and thus spending your whole balance on miner fees is probably the most common mistake with the raw transaction api."There's only one word which describes a currency system which works like that, and this word is "RIDICULOUS".Don't ALL currency systems have this problem? It seems identical to a fat-fingered trade or putting one's money in a bag and then handing the bag to a counterparty. Paper money has the same the problems as bitcoin in terms of what happens if you accidentally lose it or give it away.

Alan
Topic Author

End of bitcoin?

March 2nd, 2014, 2:03 pm

At the end of the day, I still don't get the appeal of bitcoins to non-criminals for transaction purposes.If you lived in a financially unstable country, wouldn't it (always) be easier to acquire and transact in dollars? If you are US based, I really don't get it at all beyond pure musical chairs speculation. If you want tospeculate on some money thing because the supply is fixed, I suggest coin collecting. *That one* I get ...
Last edited by Alan on March 1st, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On