Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Version 0.0: Prototype

December 8th, 2011, 3:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: RamneekHandahi guys.. do we have anything checked in that i can look at and contribute to?Gladly What are you interested/expertise in?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on December 7th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

December 8th, 2011, 3:59 pm

QuoteWe need *more* people that actually create code!There's millions out there.

Cuchulainn

December 8th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Actually, when I have the designs set up and documented it will be easy to extend by others in the team, similar to how projects with > 1 persons operate, only now in internet space. And this is new.Essential is one architect/chief designer per SUBSYSTEM. Avoids too much discussion on what's the best way to solve problems.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on December 7th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

December 9th, 2011, 10:09 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunThe consequence is that we'll have to restructure the project. Make it an app-source-code-store. It will be of a set of tools instead of a large integrated lib. At some point overlap in tools will result in core libraries for various languages if people can find common ground.Is this a better solution?Well, I agree but that was always my own interpretation. I posted already on various paradigms: OO/GOF (and dynamic polymorphism for the monent)Boost ProceduralSince there are many different kinds of developers out there (not all of whom use generics) we must allow different viewpoints.Software development is not easy since there are many viewpoints. People are going to have their own requirements, that's life. A largish 30-man s/w project and the challenges are much larger than here. I have given my requirements for matrix library that is needed for my applications. At this moment I am happy with uBLAS and my own matrices. I look forward to an improved matrix library.QuoteA monolithic unique design of this size doesn't not work in this environment with these people.What's the definition of a 'monolithic' system?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on December 8th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polter

December 14th, 2011, 7:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunThe consequence is that we'll have to restructure the project. Make it an app-source-code-store. It will be of a set of tools instead of a large integrated lib. At some point overlap in tools will result in core libraries for various languages if people can find common ground.Is this a better solution?Well, I agree but that was always my own interpretation. I posted already on various paradigms: OO/GOF (and dynamic polymorphism for the monent)Boost ProceduralSince there are many different kinds of developers out there (not all of whom use generics) we must allow different viewpoints.+1

kinderchocolate

December 20th, 2011, 1:08 am

Cuchulainn, you mentioned you have finished the design for FDM? Is there available for download?I'd love to contribute. The thing is, I don't have an overall picture of the project and where it's heading to. Unless one of the founders check-in an initial prototype, there's no way I and others could contribute, because we don't know where to start! The fate of the project is really depend on the schedule of the founders.

Cuchulainn

December 20th, 2011, 5:51 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: kinderchocolateCuchulainn, you mentioned you have finished the design for FDM? Is there available for download?I'd love to contribute. The thing is, I don't have an overall picture of the project and where it's heading to. Unless one of the founders check-in an initial prototype, there's no way I and others could contribute, because we don't know where to start! The fate of the project is really depend on the schedule of the founders.Hi KC,I have initiai documentation ready as well as the 1 factor framework in C++. What I will do is post the docs in the next few days and then I will package the FDM C++ code so that people can use it. Which particular functionality are you working on?Thanks //The initial version is traditional OO and GOF patterns which is fine, but I would to move it to 1) loosely coupled system like the MC engine + code I posted a few days ago, 2) using Boost function and bind for flexible interfaces, 3) standard data structures.Once we get it stable, the the focus shifts to the numerics and finance which frees up a lot of time.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on December 19th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.