Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

quartz

General Remarks and so on

December 1st, 2011, 1:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnHow can I do function composition in C++ in an easy way?Where the catch is maybe an implicit "dynamic and efficient too"?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 1st, 2011, 4:25 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quartzQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnHow can I do function composition in C++ in an easy way?Where the catch is maybe an implicit "dynamic and efficient too"?I would expect if we defined a delayed composite function then it would generate a compile-time function object (any boost internals' experts logged in at the moment?):
Last edited by Cuchulainn on November 30th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 9th, 2011, 10:24 am

Compulsory reading, my 2 centsMythical Man Month
Last edited by Cuchulainn on December 8th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 5th, 2012, 3:27 pm

QuoteHowever there is a big elephant sitting in the room... Is this a Cathedral or a Bizarre? We keep skirting around the issue and I think this is something that is holding us in terms of peoples commitment. The question has been posed, albeit it under a different guise.How do you define these concepts in terms of kinds of delivered products, developers and process?

rmax

January 5th, 2012, 5:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnHow do you define these concepts in terms of kinds of delivered products, developers and process?I have had a long day to-day. Can you expand what you mean here? When you say these concepts what are you referring to? QFCL? Open Source process?

Traden4Alpha

January 5th, 2012, 8:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnHow do you define these concepts in terms of kinds of delivered products, developers and process?I have had a long day to-day. Can you expand what you mean here? When you say these concepts what are you referring to? QFCL? Open Source process?I believe Concepts = {Cathedral, Bazaar} and the implications of making QFCL more like one or the other.****If so, then the question is whether QFCL is meant to be some highly polished, tightly integrated applications (that may take a very dedicated team a very long time to complete) or whether QFCL is meant to be a loosely-structured open space that lets anyone pitch a metaphorical tent for distributing software components.
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on January 4th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AVt

January 5th, 2012, 8:44 pm

With all respect and not being involved: I would prefer to see the 2nd way,i.e. loosely coupled. Easy to be snipped out and used, non massive or evenmonolithic. No stylish codings. Just helpful and sound. Slim.

rmax

January 6th, 2012, 8:34 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: AVtWith all respect and not being involved: I would prefer to see the 2nd way,i.e. loosely coupled. Easy to be snipped out and used, non massive or evenmonolithic. No stylish codings. Just helpful and sound. Slim.Have you used QuantLib? What we need to do is avoid the same pitfalls? Quant Lib looks good in terms of coverage but not sure who actually uses it.I personally like the bazaar concept (thanks to T4 for correcting my spelling!). However bazaar does not necessarily give us Easy to be snipped out and used, non massive or even monolithic. No stylish codings. Just helpful and sound. Slim..Here is the rub.

rmax

January 6th, 2012, 8:47 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrun...so, -it looks like consensus- Not sure....Quote(and even when not, we can have one or more Cathedral *inside* the Bazaar)A bazaar of cathederals - that is bizarre (!)We already have an FDM stream that is being pitched by Cuch, so that is something that can perhaps be a standalone "tent".We will need a process to enable people to pitch their tent. We don't want to have any "reclaim" people pitching tents where they are not wanted (!). For example if you call a function to value an Equity Option it would be annoying if for Calls you passed {Strike, Spot} but for Puts you passed {Spot,Strike}. Is this a dealbreaker for the bazaar concept?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 6th, 2012, 9:44 am

QuoteWe already have an FDM stream that is being pitched by Cuch, so that is something that can perhaps be a standalone "tent".As well as MC101 (and MC102 in the next few days).Someone has to begin somewhere so let's take my FDM framework and let people experiment. I would be the architect, someone has to do it and I don't like the word 'consensus'; it reminds me of politics. No one is happy and you get a half-baked solution.Design by commttee is a killer; imo each project should have one owner/chief designer, e.g. FinnancialAlex. For example, I could add some of my code to hisarchitecture he has the last say; of course, it is also a bit of give and take.Decide on an architecture and stick to it if it satisfies the wishes of users. For both FDM and MC I have such a solution. They are based on domain architectures from a different s/w life and I think they are flexible enough to support new features.One issue I need to mention is the focus on coding/syntax issues while software design is the driver of this imo standard software project. Tbe only difference is that it lives on internet. It's not so difficult, technically.As we say in Dutch 'knoop doorhakken' (cut the chord) and get on with it. Don't be afraid to make a mistake in design. There's always plan B. (for me A == OOP solution, B == Boos solution, C == ...).What is important is that members here quantity their reasons for a decision; e.g. just saying you don't like OO is no good enough; tell why and give a better solution. The nice thing about math is that we don' have endless discussions on whether something is right or wrong.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 5th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax

January 6th, 2012, 10:00 am

Yes.So: We have a process. If someone wants a new Sandbox area, they post it on the forum what they want to do. It is agreed and then they can build.Agreed?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 6th, 2012, 10:01 am

QuoteIndeed.So, shall I start with defining 3 projects in the sandbox:DD C++ FDMDD C++ MC101FA C++ MCYes, please.I will send MC 102 in the next day.For FDM I have a complete 1-factor (OOP/GOF) and a 2-factor (Boost) code. Maybe wait until dust in the sandbox settles?