SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Alan

Parallel RNG and distributed MC

August 11th, 2012, 6:05 pm

I was reading the docs a little on that. On pg 398 of the user guide, it sounds like you have to start in the US-East(I am currently on US-West) and begin with what amazon calls a HVM-ami from one of their templates.Maybe that means a whole new install of everything?

Alan

August 11th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Yeah, I created an ami just now (it was indeed easy), then stopped the orig. instance and logged out.So, I am done for the day on this.It has been remarkably easy, so far, given all your help -- thanks again.Will think about some things to do next ..

Alan

August 12th, 2012, 12:31 pm

So, as far as things to do next, at some point I would like to move on to larger size instances to see the performance gain.I have the vague feeling I can simply use my saved ami on the "High-CPU Extra Large Instance".I also have a vague feeling I can't do that on the "cluster compute instances".

Alan

August 12th, 2012, 2:54 pm

Yes, both the GPU project and multi-machine version would be interesting.Thinking about the latter, how much trouble would it be for both you and I to doubleour (free tier) performance by letting each of our instances request jobs from the other's machine?

Alan

August 13th, 2012, 1:53 pm

Later on, maybe we [meaning you ] can figure out how to use Star Cluster. Look at the section on built-in ami's. (also includes GPU ami's)

Polter

August 13th, 2012, 2:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Alan Later on, maybe we [meaning you ] can figure out how to use Star Cluster. Look at the section on built-in ami's. (also includes GPU ami's)BTW, does anyone here know how do solutions like these compare to BOINC?

Alan

August 21st, 2012, 12:24 pm

Sounds very clever. Will need detailed instructions.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On