SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Library-Excel-Application Interoperability Project

April 22nd, 2012, 3:29 pm

Excel Interoperability ProjectThis practical project is concerned with application development in which spreadsheets (for example, Excel) play an important role. In particular, improving and streamlining the interfaces between Excel and applications is seen as being an objective. The main goals of this project are:G1: Create utilities that can be used with Excel. For example, create a module that allows developers to visualise generated data from an option pricer. Ideally, we should be able to use these utilities in C++, C#, Java and VBA.G2: VBA to C# migration and reusing VBA code in C# projects.G3: Avail of new technology (such as Threading, LINQ and other .NET libraries) in Excel.G4: Interfacing to C++ libraries (e.g. Boost Math, Excel-DNA, DDE) using the C++/CLI interface.G5: Using other qfcl applications with Excel (e.g. Credit Analytics, MC1, FD2). G6: Functional programming (e.g. F#) and Excel.G7: Migration and porting of legacy code to new software environment.Most of the plumbing nitty-gritty has already been done by Robert D and myself. The main challenge is defining standard interfaces between the disparate systems.If you have a feature or requirememts' list, please fee to post them here.Daniel J. Duffy April 2012
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 22nd, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tagoma

August 11th, 2012, 7:09 pm

Bonsoir Monsieur Cuchulainn I read your post a while back. Your project seems quite complete/large and have been wondering about the commercial or non-commercial nature of your project. And, when is the first release due? I mean I haven't yet started to 'hard' study any C++ / Excel interface project, and my question is whether or not I should better wait for the release of this new project?Best.Édouard
Last edited by tagoma on August 10th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 13th, 2012, 4:39 am

Bonjour, Monsieur Edouard,We are making good progress: the C#-Excel interop is finished ("C# in Financial Markets" by Germani/Duffy) and will be out soon. Readers will have access to all source code, including C# and Excel-DNA, LINQ and applications to fixed income.So, it's a combintion of code and documentation, the latter taking up much time as the libray developers all knows (that's why it is so sparse) Anyhoo...Looking into crystal balls, a multi-language (C++, C#, F#, R), multi-paradigm approach is optimal imo. C++ does not provide _all_ the functionality and/or productiivity levels in _all_ cases.The other projects are progressing in a commercial capacity via our cooperation with Wiley and Datasim Press. All source code provided.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on August 12th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiloRambaldi

October 8th, 2012, 2:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnBonjour, Monsieur Edouard,We are making good progress: the C#-Excel interop is finished ("C# in Financial Markets" by Germani/Duffy) and will be out soon. Readers will have access to all source code, including C# and Excel-DNA, LINQ and applications to fixed income.So, it's a combintion of code and documentation, the latter taking up much time as the libray developers all knows (that's why it is so sparse) Anyhoo...Looking into crystal balls, a multi-language (C++, C#, F#, R), multi-paradigm approach is optimal imo. C++ does not provide _all_ the functionality and/or productiivity levels in _all_ cases.The other projects are progressing in a commercial capacity via our cooperation with Wiley and Datasim Press. All source code provided.Are there any relatively small C# projects you can recommend?I am starting a new job next week, where most of the coding is done in C#. I would like to get up to speed.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

October 8th, 2012, 2:32 pm

Congratulations.The C# book by Andrea Germani and will hit the market quite soon (as I speak we are doing final proof-reading). It's on Amazon.In the book we have apps for single and multicurve, PDE as wll as C#/Excel. And I will create a forum with all the source code.These Excel demos might be useful.http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm? ... DBTABLE=If you send me a PM I can send you some kick-start examples. The C# book by Albari is great.Idea to try Excel DNA from Govert van Drimmelen.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 7th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

October 8th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Here is an Automation AddIn in C#. You can just build the project and then experiment with the Excel file in the project.It's a good way to start. Don't forget Excel AddIn Options menus. Have fun. It should run direct. Having done that you can create an Automation addin from scratch based on the Excel movie. And then try your hand at a COM addin. And have a look at the Shared Addin Wizard, very easy to use.
Attachments
AutomationAddin.zip
(12.54 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 7th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiloRambaldi

October 14th, 2012, 5:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThe C# book by Albari is great.Thanks for the suggestions.I bought "C# 5.0 in a Nutshell, 5th Edition" (I assume this is the right one).

MiloRambaldi

October 15th, 2012, 1:23 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnHere is an Automation AddIn in C#. You can just build the project and then experiment with the Excel file in the project.I built the project, but I did not see any Excel files in the project. I tried loading the built .dll in a blank Excel file, but it complained that it was not actually a DLL.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

October 15th, 2012, 4:41 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: MiloRambaldiQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnHere is an Automation AddIn in C#. You can just build the project and then experiment with the Excel file in the project.I built the project, but I did not see any Excel files in the project. I tried loading the built .dll in a blank Excel file, but it complained that it was not actually a DLL.The xls file is not strictly necessary (I missed it in the archive, will post it).BTW did you see the Addin movie? You must load the Automation addin as shown.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 14th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

October 15th, 2012, 7:32 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: MiloRambaldiQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThe C# book by Albari is great.Thanks for the suggestions.I bought "C# 5.0 in a Nutshell, 5th Edition" (I assume this is the right one).Yes, that's the one!

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

October 15th, 2012, 1:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MiloRambaldiQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnHere is an Automation AddIn in C#. You can just build the project and then experiment with the Excel file in the project.I built the project, but I did not see any Excel files in the project. I tried loading the built .dll in a blank Excel file, but it complained that it was not actually a DLL.
Attachments
excelFile.zip
(20.11 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

MiloRambaldi

October 16th, 2012, 3:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThe xls file is not strictly necessary (I missed it in the archive, will post it).BTW did you see the Addin movie? You must load the Automation addin as shown.In the movie, there is a "My C# COM Add-in" in Excel. I do not have this, and I think I would need the COM Add-in C# project (at least to copy what is being done in the movie). However, AutomationAddin.zip only has one project: 02 - Automation Add-in v1.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

October 16th, 2012, 4:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MiloRambaldiQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThe xls file is not strictly necessary (I missed it in the archive, will post it).BTW did you see the Addin movie? You must load the Automation addin as shown.In the movie, there is a "My C# COM Add-in" in Excel. I do not have this, and I think I would need the COM Add-in C# project (at least to copy what is being done in the movie). However, AutomationAddin.zip only has one project: 02 - Automation Add-in v1.Ok, You can make a Class Library Project or shared wizard and put the code in there.

MiloRambaldi

October 17th, 2012, 3:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: MiloRambaldiQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThe xls file is not strictly necessary (I missed it in the archive, will post it).BTW did you see the Addin movie? You must load the Automation addin as shown.In the movie, there is a "My C# COM Add-in" in Excel. I do not have this, and I think I would need the COM Add-in C# project (at least to copy what is being done in the movie). However, AutomationAddin.zip only has one project: 02 - Automation Add-in v1.Ok, You can make a Class Library Project or shared wizard and put the code in there.I tried making a Class Library Project with the same results: a .dll is created that cannot be used by Excel.I don't know what a shared wizard is or how to make one.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

October 17th, 2012, 8:15 pm

This is a good intro C# in Front OfficeShared Wizard is a VS project type. Or better still MSDN step by step.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 16th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On