SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

May 2nd, 2019, 12:33 am

Hopefully, Barr will be the first to go to jail. And then McGahn. We'll have to bide our time for the orangutan himself, but the stakes are higher there (not just jail time). 

bearish

May 3rd, 2019, 10:27 pm

Trump discussed the unfairness of the Mueller report with his buddy Putin today, but stayed way clear of the awkward topic of Putin's expected interference in next year's election. At least, that's what he told journalists. When he didn't call them out as rude for asking him questions.

tw

May 4th, 2019, 10:41 am

"At the time this struck me as a bit hypothetical at the time but the age of Trump inures one to all paradoxes. 
To openly talk of the firing a prosecutor who is investigating you, to investigate the possibility of using a presidential pardon to pardon one's self, 
to write strongly intimidating tweets whose stated purpose is to get a particular result, these all have that paradoxical strange loopy feel
and it seems difficult to make an argument that obstruction of justice is not going on."

In any political system you reach a level at which the power investigates itself. In the UK they "launch an inquiry", appoint a Lord or a Dame to run it, and trust that he/she will know by instinct how much truth can be exposed, and what needs to be swept under the carpet in order to defend the stability of the institutions, reputation of their peers (small p) and "public trust". That's how they dealt with child abuse, that's how they dealt with the Grenfell Tower fire, that's how they dealt with the Iraq War.
UK style public inquiries seem definitely the way to go as,  there is at least a fig leaf of judicial independence and objectivity and mostly published 
(and if evidence is withheld a la Dominic Grieve in the Chilcot inquiry at least you see who is doing the withholding). 

Grenfell and the Iraq/Chilcot  inquiries could only get retired judges and civil servants but you just can't get the staff these days!

By contrast, if only for value for money for tax dollars, these ridiculously partisan US investigations seem pointless. 

For instance, I read now that Deutsche bank has been subpoenaed to release tax info by congress but also sued by Trump to not release the info.
Which court has precedence? Would it save everyone's time and effort if this was known in advance? 

Can I try the same trick with HMRC if the police want to investigate me?

ISayMoo

May 4th, 2019, 1:11 pm

US is the country of lawsuits. Accept it.

bearish

May 5th, 2019, 1:15 am

Hard to argue with that. Although Trump is about to be on the losing end of a bunch of them. But he thrives on bankruptcies, so we can see where the country is headed...

bearish

May 8th, 2019, 1:30 am

The NYT has some nice news out tonight about how astonishingly large the Donald's losses were in 1985-1994. A yard plus. There is no reason to think this has changed later, which may help explain the troubles DB finds itself in these days. As in, can't even merge with Commerz.

Alan
Topic Author

May 8th, 2019, 3:30 am

The NYT has some nice news out tonight about how astonishingly large the Donald's losses were in 1985-1994. A yard plus. There is no reason to think this has changed later, which may help explain the troubles DB finds itself in these days. As in, can't even merge with Commerz.

Yes, I'd agree with that. Here's an older NYTImes article. Pretty incredible: he defaulted on three deals with DB and sued them once. Thank you, sir -- may I have another?  

tw

May 8th, 2019, 9:42 am

All of this starts to make me wonder what is actually in these tax returns. 
Previously I had thought it was just a partisan political football but now wonder what malfeasance they could possibly show?
To fight this hard against it it would have to be something a bit more significant that overstating asset values 
or getting an ultra low tax rate from pushing the system to its utmost limits.
A tax return wouldn't name names (I imagine but don't really know the US system) so no links to dodgy sounding foreign names.

I imagine we will never find out.

lan:

Yes, I'd agree with that. Here's an older NYTImes article. Pretty incredible: he defaulted on three deals with DB and sued them once. Thank you, sir -- may I have another?  

bearish

May 9th, 2019, 1:20 am

Given the damage he is doing to the country (and probably to the world), we can only hope he receives the proper punishment for his treason.

Alan
Topic Author

May 9th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Given the damage he is doing to the country (and probably to the world), we can only hope he receives the proper punishment for his treason.

reelection? (I hear the job is quite stressful).

tw

May 9th, 2019, 8:20 pm

reelection? (I hear the job is quite stressful).
Those guys stinted on their executive time

bearish

May 10th, 2019, 1:30 am

18 U.S. Code § 2381

Paul

May 10th, 2019, 5:32 am

The NYT has some nice news out tonight about how astonishingly large the Donald's losses were in 1985-1994. A yard plus. 
I haven't read the article and I don't know about Trump's businesses, but I have a little bit of experience of the property rental markets in the UK and US. And they are treated very differently. In the UK you pay income tax on income less expenses, and then CGT on a sale on gain less improvements. In the US you pay income tax on income less "depreciation" and CGT on gain and that depreciation. So you usually end up paying no income tax, and it looks like you've made a loss. But that's only on paper.

Cuchulainn

May 10th, 2019, 11:55 am

In the beginning AFAIK Trump Towers were (probably overpriced) concrete-based rather than the usual mix of glass and steel.
Not quite Trump City..

Much of the jargon is reminiscent of that used in the Queens borough of New York.

bearish

May 11th, 2019, 12:40 am

Trump is really pushing the 1750's agenda. Good old, pre-Adam Smith mercantilism. We already know that MAGA is a quest for the gender relations of the 1950's and the race relations of the 1850's (well, at least as practiced in the South). 
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On