SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Martinghoul

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

July 9th, 2018, 9:21 pm

I agree with ISayMoo that there must be the dairy industry lobby behind the decision. You're fighting Trump and ppauper so blindly, bearish, that you're risking hurting yourself.
I obviously agree that this is the work of lobbyists for the infant formula industry, but do find it rather alarming that the Trump government proceeded to threaten punitive trade measures and withdrawal of military aid to an “ally” (a rather quaint concept these days) should they dare to introduce a measure in support of breastfeeding.
Remember this?
"Any country that grants asylum to Snowden risks retaliation from the United States, including diplomatic isolation and costly trade sanctions."
I didn’t realise breastfeeding was a national security concern, like Snowden...

ISayMoo

July 9th, 2018, 9:34 pm

So Ecuador was not an ally then?

katastrofa

July 9th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Or rather like abortion and burqas (appreciating your irony). Many thanks for the politicians' honest concern, but I'd rather not be the element of their games.

ISayMoo

July 9th, 2018, 10:08 pm

It's all mostly showmanship. UN resolutions achieve very little except for the feel good factor. WHO is already promoting breastfeeding.

katastrofa

July 9th, 2018, 10:37 pm

I'd suspect WHO recommend mixing the formula with Roundup.

Martinghoul

July 9th, 2018, 10:57 pm

It's all mostly showmanship. UN resolutions achieve very little except for the feel good factor. WHO is already promoting breastfeeding.
Which does then beg the only question I have...  Why?  Why bother with such silly, petty antics (obviously, assuming the reports are accurate), if it’s a pointless resolution issued on behalf of an organisation you consider “weak and incompetent”?

ppauper

July 9th, 2018, 11:44 pm

president trump is expected to announce his supreme court nominee shortly, at 9pm eastern.

Students at NYU have already denounced the candidate, not realizing that he (or she) had yet to be picked Other recent GOP presidents have fared little better. Here's what Teddy Kennedy said when President Reagan nominated Robert Bork, who had been solicitor-general under both Nixon and Ford, and a law prof at Yale:
Within 45 minutes of Bork's nomination to the Court, Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) took to the Senate floor with a strong condemnation of Bork in a nationally televised speech, declaring:
"Robert Bork's America is a land in which women would be forced into back-alley abortions, blacks would sit at segregated lunch counters, rogue police could break down citizens' doors in midnight raids, and schoolchildren could not be taught about evolution, writers and artists could be censored at the whim of the Government, and the doors of thCe Federal courts would be shut on the fingers of millions of citizens."

I was rereading Patrick Buchanan's memoir of his days in the Nixon White House, which also contained a brief account of his (Buchanan's) interaction with the Ford Administration. Like many Nixon Staffers, Buchanan stayed on when Ford became president. When Al Haig stepped down as Ford's chief of staff (to become Nato commander), Rumsfeld (yes, that Rumsfeld) became chief of staff and Buchanan was pushed out in a purge. Rumsfeld said Cheney (yes, that Cheney) did it, Cheney said it was all Rumsfeld. From the memoir:
At the end of 1975, when my book came out (my note: Conservative Votes, Liberal Victories: Why the Right has Failed, which was published by a NYT imprint), leaving some of my former White House colleagues estranged, President Ford invited me and a dozen columnists and commentators to the Oval Office. He said that Justice John Paul Stevens, just confirmed in a unanimous Senate vote, would be the kind of nominee he would select in the future, nominees both parties could support. Which is when I called John Sears to tell him I was with Reagan.
John Paul Stevens was a solid liberal. There's nothing wrong with picking nominees both parties can support, provided both parties do it. But when was the last time a Democrat nominated a centrist let alone a conservative? Probably 1962 when JFK nominated Byron White.

ppauper

July 9th, 2018, 11:52 pm

bearish

July 10th, 2018, 12:37 am

I was looking for a suitable vomiting image, but failed. Probably a metaphor for something deeper.

katastrofa

July 10th, 2018, 12:39 am

Which does then beg the only question I have...  Why?  Why bother with such silly, petty antics (obviously, assuming the reports are accurate), if it’s a pointless resolution issued on behalf of an organisation you consider “weak and incompetent”?
Who does consider whom "weak and incompetent"? ISayMoo never wrote anything like that, so why are you attributing the quote to him?
Re your question, we've just discussed above that the dairy industry lobby is the answer.

bearish

July 10th, 2018, 12:41 am

president trump is expected to announce his supreme court nominee shortly, at 9pm eastern.

Students at NYU have already denounced the candidate, not realizing that he (or she) had yet to be picked Other recent GOP presidents have fared little better. Here's what Teddy Kennedy said when President Reagan nominated Robert Bork, who had been solicitor-general under both Nixon and Ford, and a law prof at Yale:
Within 45 minutes of Bork's nomination to the Court, Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) took to the Senate floor with a strong condemnation of Bork in a nationally televised speech, declaring:
"Robert Bork's America is a land in which women would be forced into back-alley abortions, blacks would sit at segregated lunch counters, rogue police could break down citizens' doors in midnight raids, and schoolchildren could not be taught about evolution, writers and artists could be censored at the whim of the Government, and the doors of thCe Federal courts would be shut on the fingers of millions of citizens."

I was rereading Patrick Buchanan's memoir of his days in the Nixon White House, which also contained a brief account of his (Buchanan's) interaction with the Ford Administration. Like many Nixon Staffers, Buchanan stayed on when Ford became president. When Al Haig stepped down as Ford's chief of staff (to become Nato commander), Rumsfeld (yes, that Rumsfeld) became chief of staff and Buchanan was pushed out in a purge. Rumsfeld said Cheney (yes, that Cheney) did it, Cheney said it was all Rumsfeld. From the memoir:
At the end of 1975, when my book came out (my note: Conservative Votes, Liberal Victories: Why the Right has Failed, which was published by a NYT imprint), leaving some of my former White House colleagues estranged, President Ford invited me and a dozen columnists and commentators to the Oval Office. He said that Justice John Paul Stevens, just confirmed in a unanimous Senate vote, would be the kind of nominee he would select in the future, nominees both parties could support. Which is when I called John Sears to tell him I was with Reagan.
John Paul Stevens was a solid liberal. There's nothing wrong with picking  nominees both parties can support, provided both parties do it. But when was the last time a Democrat nominated a centrist let alone a conservative? Probably 1962 when JFK nominated Byron White.

Having some first-hand experience with NYU students, they're not all that dumb. So, they realize that anybody Trump happens to pick is going to be evil. Why hold the denouncement?

bearish

July 10th, 2018, 1:10 am

So, he could have chosen a law student in his early 20's, but actually picked a guy in his 50's. This is either signaling a low ambition level, or a certainty that he gets to pick a few more, so he doesn't much care how long this one will live.

Martinghoul

July 10th, 2018, 5:50 am

Who does consider whom "weak and incompetent"? ISayMoo never wrote anything like that, so why are you attributing the quote to him?
Re your question, we've just discussed above that the dairy industry lobby is the answer.
No, I meant why would the current admin bother.  The Donald considers UN to be “weak and incompetent”. Its resolutions achieve very little.  It’s just not clear to me why, given all of the above, anyone, including the dairy industry lobby, actually cares that much about this.

ppauper

July 10th, 2018, 6:28 am

and the nominee is (drumroll) D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Brett Kavanaugh, age 53

As to future nominations by president trump, it looks like he'll win reelection easily, so he has roughly another 6.5 years.
On the conservative side, the delightful clarence thomas is a youthful 70 years old and has many years left on the court
On the liberal side, RBG who is 85 and Breyer who is 79 will both likely try to soldier on until President Trump steps down in 2025 in the hope that a dem will win when president trump's second term ends
The oldest person to serve as a Supreme Court Justice was Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., (1902-1932) who was 90 when he retired from the Court. RBG would shatter that record

ISayMoo

July 10th, 2018, 6:39 am

Having some first-hand experience with NYU students, they're not all that dumb. So, they realize that anybody Trump happens to pick is going to be evil. Why hold the denouncement?
Students are prone to group think. The desire to "fit in" the social pressure is often strong at this age. Many students with "incorrect" views (e.g. backing Brexit) reported ostracism after their peers learned about their views.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On