SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

July 10th, 2018, 11:03 am

Having some first-hand experience with NYU students, they're not all that dumb. So, they realize that anybody Trump happens to pick is going to be evil. Why hold the denouncement?
Students are prone to group think. The desire to "fit in" the social pressure is often strong at this age. Many students with "incorrect" views (e.g. backing Brexit) reported ostracism after their peers learned about their views.
It’s hard to argue with those observations in general, but your point is that probably only one or two of those demonstrating were actually opposed, and the rest were just lemminging along?

katastrofa

July 10th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Which does then beg the only question I have...  Why?  Why bother with such silly, petty antics (obviously, assuming the reports are accurate), if it’s a pointless resolution issued on behalf of an organisation you consider “weak and incompetent”?
Who does consider whom "weak and incompetent"? ISayMoo never wrote anything like that, so why are you attributing the quote to him?
Re your question, we've just discussed above that the dairy industry lobby is the answer.
No, I meant why would the current admin bother.  The Donald considers UN to be “weak and incompetent”. Its resolutions achieve very little.  It’s just not clear to me why, given all of the above, anyone, including the dairy industry lobby, actually cares that much about this.
I suppose the dairy industry is in a desperate position (we have similar mindless pressure from them on this side of the pond). The rest looks to me pretty much Donald Trump - if there's been anyone in his administration daring to question the sense of his words or actions, they are long out.

ppauper

July 10th, 2018, 10:00 pm

re: the world health organization.

According to the Trump administration, the NYT/CNN story is fake news.
A spokeswoman for the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) defended the US delegation's approach.
"The issues being debated were not about whether one supports breastfeeding," HHS spokeswoman Caitlin Oakley said in a statement.
"The United States was fighting to protect women's abilities to make the best choices for the nutrition of their babies.
"Many women are not able to breastfeed for a variety of reasons, these women should not be stigmatised; they should be equally supported with information and access to alternatives for the health of themselves and their babies."
President Trump himself tweeted,
The failing NY Times Fake News story today about breast feeding must be called out. The U.S. strongly supports breast feeding but we don’t believe women should be denied access to formula. Many women need this option because of malnutrition and poverty.
All this seems to center on the wording of a resolution.
Bizarrely, I can't seem to find that resolution anywhere in the NYT/CNN story, or on the WHO website, or anywhere else for that matter.
It would be informative to see just what that resolution says now, and what it said before if it was changed.
The media seem to be reporting different versions of this story. In some versions, the US changed the wording, in some versions it tried and failed to change the wording, and in some versions, such as the twitter feed below, the US blocked the resolution
Eugene Gu, MD  Verified account @eugenegu
Jul 9
Replying to @realDonaldTrump
The Trump administration prevented the World Health Organization from passing a resolution on breast feeding in order to boost the $70 billion infant formula industry. This is highly corrupt, unethical, and dangerous.
Those different narratives contradict each other.
What was the original resolution (exact wording)?
and if it was changed, what was the final wording?

bearish

July 11th, 2018, 1:10 am

To summarize a long post: "According to the Trump administration, the NYT/CNN story is fake news"

bearish

July 11th, 2018, 1:39 am

It will be interesting to see whether Trump will blow up NATO before checking in with the boss in Helsinki on Monday. I'll leave the general lunacy of his visit to the UK to the locals, who seem to be doing a pretty good job of it.

bearish

July 11th, 2018, 2:07 am

Although it is kind of cool that 97 senators today voted for a major rebuke of Trump on NATO, only opposed by a couple of pseudo-Republican flunkies (Paul and Lee). 

Cuchulainn

July 11th, 2018, 6:19 am

When can we hope to purchase chlorinated chicken?
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

ppauper

July 11th, 2018, 7:07 am

if you want free trade (as opposed to managed trade), you can't have non-tariff barriers

tagoma

July 11th, 2018, 7:22 am

"Germany is totally controlled by Russia"

ppauper

July 11th, 2018, 7:57 am

NATO countries are supposed to spend what 2% of GDP on defense
Defense Expenditures Of NATO Members Visualized
it's dated July 10, 2018 so I assume it's up to date
Only 4 of 27 members meet that target:
US 3.6%
Greece 2.4%
UK 2.1%
Poland 2.0%

The US spends more than 12 times as much as the next largest contributor (UK), and adding up those figures, the US seems to be paying 71.7% of total NATO expenditure
Leonidas, King of Sparta... when a neighboring state would plead for military aid, would send one man.

Cuchulainn

July 11th, 2018, 8:42 am

NATO countries are supposed to spend what 2% of GDP on defense
Defense Expenditures Of NATO Members Visualized
it's dated July 10, 2018 so I assume it's up to date
Only 4 of 27 members meet that target:
US 3.6%
Greece 2.4%
UK 2.1%
Poland 2.0%

The US spends more than 12 times as much as the next largest contributor (UK), and adding up those figures, the US seems to be paying 71.7% of total NATO expenditure
Leonidas, King of Sparta... when a neighboring state would plead for military aid, would send one man.
So, politicians will have to start thinking like businessmen, not a smooth transition (spending other people's money).
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

bearish

July 11th, 2018, 10:33 am

if you want free trade (as opposed to managed trade), you can't have non-tariff barriers
So, to put it in a slightly different way, Trumpian “free trade” is an absolute pipe dream with zero chance of ever seeing the light of day in the real world, where enough people in enough places actually kind of care about standards for safety, health, pollution, working conditions, etc to create plenty of lasting non-tariff barriers.

ppauper

July 11th, 2018, 11:10 am

"Germany is totally controlled by Russia"
In a heated exchange with the NATO chief ahead of a summit in Brussels on Wednesday, the US President was fiercely critical of German oil and gas imports from Russia, World News reported.
"We have to talk about the billions and billions of dollars that's being paid to the country that we are supposed to be protecting you against. You know, everybody is talking about it all over the world, saying — wait a minute, we are supposed to be protecting you from Russia, but why do you pay billions of dollars to Russia for energy? Why our countries in NATO, namely Germany, are having a large percentage of the energy needs paid to Russia and taken care of by Russia?" Trump said at a meeting with NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg.
"… I think it is something that NATO has to look at, I think it is very inappropriate," the US President added.
The US President lashed out at Germany, calling it "a captive" to Russia and stressed that Berlin "only makes Russia richer".
“Germany is totally controlled by Russia … They will be getting between 60 and 70 percent of their energy from Russia and a new pipeline, and you tell me if that is appropriate because I think it's not,” Trump said.
“I think it is a very bad thing for NATO and I don’t think it should have happened and I think we have to talk to Germany about it. On top of that, Germany is just paying a little bit over 1 percent (on defense) … And I think that is inappropriate also,” he added.
Stoltenberg conceded that there was disagreement between NATO allies over a natural gas pipeline deal between Germany and Russia, but stressed that the organisaton's strength is that "despite these difference we have always been able to unite around our cause to protect and defend each other".

tagoma

July 11th, 2018, 2:57 pm

An “honor” to be with “friend” President Macron.

ppauper

July 11th, 2018, 3:24 pm

An “honor” to be with “friend” President Macron.
lol, I guess tag doesn't trust frenchie
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On