SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

January 7th, 2019, 7:15 am

so even the WaPo agrees that the border is worse than ever.
In the UK thread, we saw Britain's Home Secretary Sajid Javid sending in the navy because a handul of migrants tried to cross La Manche

>> In December, around 230 people tried to make the 21-mile (33-kilometre) journey from France to Britain, Javid said.

No doubt you'll label Mr Javid as an alt-right white supremacist, but look at the numbers:
UK La Manche: 230 attempted migrants in a month translates to  2,760 a year
US southern border: 369k arrests along the border in less than 10 months translates to over 421k a year. And that's arrests. We have no idea how many cross without being arrested.
2,760 a year is not a flood.
421k a year is a flood.
Even if that was cut in half, it would still be a flood.

As background, I came across this. Was this the first fence on the border or was there an earlier one?
In 1945, U. S. Border Patrol authorities began to recognize a shift in  illegal border crossings  away from the EI Paso, Texas, area to the California border. To confront the rise in illegal crossings across the California border, the Immigration and Naturalization Service delivered "4,500 lineal feet of chain link fencing (10 feet high, woven of No. 6 wire) to the International Boundary and Water Commission at Calexico, California." Although the INS  was not erecting a continuous line of fence along the borderline, they hoped that strategic placement of the fence would "compel persons seeking to enter the United States illegally to attempt to go around the ends of the fence." What lay at
the end of the fences and canals were desertlands and mountains extremely dangerous to cross
without guidance or sufficient water. Therefore, the fences discouraged illegal immigration by exposing undocumented border crossers to the dangers of daytime dehydration and
nighttime hypothermia."

The construction of the fence sparked immediate resistance in Mexican border communities. To protect the fence, the governor of Baja California detailed Mexican soldiers to patrol and protect the fence "during its erection." Therefore, although the Mexican government consistently demanded protection for Mexican braceros from discrimination and abuse by U.S. employers, Mexican border officials helped the U.S. Border Patrol to erect fences designed to reduce illegal immigration by making border crossings more dangerous for undocumented workers.
The Crimes and Consequences of Illegal Immigration: A Cross-Border Examination of Operation Wetback, 1943 to 1954
Kelly Lytle Hernández
Western Historical Quarterly, Volume 37, Issue 4, 1 November 2006, Pages 421–444, https://doi.org/10.2307/25443415

ppauper

January 7th, 2019, 7:17 am

Trump is an evil genius. After he gets his steel fence, Part II will be his call to electrify it. 
Of course, as Dr. Malcolm noted, life always finds a way ...

we did offer to put solar panels on the concrete wall

FaridMoussaoui

January 7th, 2019, 10:11 am

What, our ppauper a fascist??? I thought it went out of fashion.
PP is a Wilmott institution.
As  I said fewer weeks ago, "tell me what your share, I tell you who you are". I concluded that ppauper is at the right of the far right.

> What, our ppauper a fascist??? I thought it went out of fashion.
The brown plague does not easily disappear.

> PP is a Wilmott institution.
at some point, segregation was an institution in the southern states of the US.

ppauper

January 7th, 2019, 10:28 am

the anti-Marshallese bigot is back.
What's your point, you want to bring back segregation to keep the Marshallese away?

As far as I'm concerned, a Marshallese who is in the US legally is the same as anyone else in the US legally.
And a Marshallese who is in the US illegally is the same as anyone else in the US illegally

FaridMoussaoui

January 7th, 2019, 10:36 am

Tell us who you are?

Paul

January 7th, 2019, 11:07 am

You are welcome to ask him who he is. But our policy has long been that the only people who need to know real identities are those who manage the site. And the reason for that is simply that if we get any demand from lawyers or law enforcement for that information then we will hand it over. We are in favour of free speech but no one here is going to do any dramatic defending-to-the-death nonsense.

Paul

January 7th, 2019, 11:07 am

"...or her..."

FaridMoussaoui

January 7th, 2019, 11:10 am

I know. It was a reciprocity question. He asked me who I am (when I told "him tell me what your share, I tell you who you are") and I answered.

ppauper

January 7th, 2019, 11:10 am

To those people who oppose the Trump (and Truman/Eisenhower/Carter/Reagan/Bush 1/Clinton/Bush 2/Obama) policy of border security, what exactly do you want?
The US has had a barrier on the border since at least 1945 (FDR died in April 1945, succeeded by Truman) and has patrolled the border since at least 1904 (when Teddy Roosevelt was president
Do you want "open borders?" If not, then what?
Google tells me that the only place on the planet with "free external migration" is the Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard, and even then, they exclude poor people
All people regardless of citizenship are allowed to live and work in Svalbard without a visa or residence permit, as long as they demonstrate they are able to support themselves.

ppauper

January 7th, 2019, 11:13 am

I know. It was a reciprocity question. He asked me who I am (when I told "him tell me what your share, I tell you who you are") and I answered.
that is actually a lie. I did not ask who he (or she) is

FaridMoussaoui

January 7th, 2019, 11:20 am

I have no idea what those symbols represent but they never share any disgusting post as yours.

Tell me what you share and tell you who you are.
Troll
You're not a real person, you're the spare account of another forum member

FaridMoussaoui

January 7th, 2019, 11:22 am

Actually you are like your idol.

ppauper

January 7th, 2019, 11:23 am

so where in there did I ask you who you were?
I didn't.

ppauper

January 7th, 2019, 11:25 am

Actually you are like your idol.
thank you. It's an honor to be likened to Alan Dershowitz.

ppauper

January 7th, 2019, 11:38 am

anyhoo, I thought you said that you had added me to your "foes" list. Was that another lie?
UCP > Friends & Foes > Manage foes
Thank you. I added my first foe :)
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On