SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

July 5th, 2019, 11:32 pm

Hi - welcome back! Trump's knowledge of history, or lack thereof, is just part of his general education. His plan to unilaterally override a Supreme Court ruling is still more interesting, though, since it seriously raises the question of who is going to stop him. If anybody...

trackstar

July 6th, 2019, 12:04 am

Thanks - just a cameo appearance today but liked that airport quote so much I had to share it here. :D

On the census, many moving parts and interesting to see the apparatus at work.

One thing you may consider though - even if the printed version of the census questionnaire *that gets mailed to individual households* does wind up containing the question - how many of us will answer it?

And if we don’t, is that Civil Disobedience? And what will happen to us?

Will they send census takers to our doorsteps to ask us? Hehe. Good luck with that. I travel a lot and I’m often not at home...

Take courage and look back at Emerson and Thoreau...

And the Boston Tea Party!

ISayMoo

July 6th, 2019, 7:10 am

I suppose he mis-spoke, could happen to anyone. More telling is his later seeking someone/something else to blame for that, instead of just shrugging "oops, silly me" and moving on.

What is the problem with the citizenship question, actually? UK asks such questions in official surveys: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/datasets/populationoftheunitedkingdombycountryofbirthandnationality So did the UK 2011 Census: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/articles/economicandsocialcharacteristicsoftheresidentpopulationofenglandandwalesbynationalityandcountryofbirthin2011/2013-07-12

bearish

July 6th, 2019, 11:09 am

I suppose he mis-spoke, could happen to anyone. More telling is his later seeking someone/something else to blame for that, instead of just shrugging "oops, silly me" and moving on.

What is the problem with the citizenship question, actually? UK asks such questions in official surveys: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/datasets/populationoftheunitedkingdombycountryofbirthandnationality So did the UK 2011 Census: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/articles/economicandsocialcharacteristicsoftheresidentpopulationofenglandandwalesbynationalityandcountryofbirthin2011/2013-07-12
Well, for starters, the (conservative majority) Supreme Court has held that the government did not offer an adequate reason for including it. Beyond that, we would have to get into American politics.

katastrofa

July 6th, 2019, 4:05 pm

In the UK the citizenship question was introduced after the EU enlargement to estimate the scale of the immigration from A8 countries. The lack of such information made budget planning and resource allocation impossible. It came to situations where a tiny job centre or a one person GP practice was burdened with hordes of Poles who didn't speak a word in English. I don't understand the row about it - I presume it's something local.
In the UK Households are legally obliged to provide complete information about their inhabitants. You get fined if you don't comply.

¡Hola! Trackstar
Attachments
61745E3E-E8F0-4926-B7FA-FAB90BC2A318.jpeg

Alan
Topic Author

July 6th, 2019, 8:06 pm

"The Continental Army suffered a bitter winter at Valley Forge, found glory across the waters of the Delaware and seized victory from Cornwallis of Yorktown. 
Our Army manned the air, it ran the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do."
- President Trump on the American Revolution of 1776

Courtesy of my sister, who knows that some of you folks would appreciate it.
If you are reading this, ppauper, she says "Hello." :D

Easily explained  :D

bearish

July 6th, 2019, 10:34 pm

You could try and google Thomas Hofeller. He died a couple of years ago, may he BIH.

katastrofa

July 7th, 2019, 12:46 pm

The 4th of July (1943) was the Gibraltar catastrophe. Whoever had Władek Sikorski killed, maybe the genius who wrote Trump's speech opened Wikipedia on the wrong page.

bearish

July 7th, 2019, 7:48 pm

A couple of little details escaped Trump in the lead-up to the celebrations. First, it is not actually meant to be a partisan and military tribute glorifying the supreme ruler, i.e. him. Second, it is also not a celebration of winning the war of independence, but rather of the far more peaceful and intellectual exercise of crafting the constitution. But now he will be busy smearing Megan Rapinoe for a couple of days. 

Cuchulainn

July 9th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Megan Rapinoe: World Cup winners USA to snub White House invite

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/09/megan-ra ... -10137594/

ISayMoo

July 9th, 2019, 9:15 pm

A couple of little details escaped Trump in the lead-up to the celebrations. First, it is not actually meant to be a partisan and military tribute glorifying the supreme ruler, i.e. him. Second, it is also not a celebration of winning the war of independence, but rather of the far more peaceful and intellectual exercise of crafting the constitution. 
I.e. setting up the rules to protect the interests of slave owners.

bearish

July 9th, 2019, 11:25 pm

Megan Rapinoe: World Cup winners USA to snub White House invite

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/09/megan-ra ... -10137594/
I would love to snub a Trump invitation. But since I have neither done anything important nor given him lots of money, that’s not going to happen.

bearish

July 9th, 2019, 11:28 pm

A couple of little details escaped Trump in the lead-up to the celebrations. First, it is not actually meant to be a partisan and military tribute glorifying the supreme ruler, i.e. him. Second, it is also not a celebration of winning the war of independence, but rather of the far more peaceful and intellectual exercise of crafting the constitution. 
I.e. setting up the rules to protect the interests of slave owners.
That, and a lot of other bad stuff, but on the whole still a fairly impressive feat.

bearish

July 10th, 2019, 11:25 am

With Trump having fired Darroch, a very reasonable UK response would be to not name a replacement. Of course, “reasonable” hasn’t really been the hallmark of the current regime, but I’m sure that will be restored by Boris.

Cuchulainn

July 10th, 2019, 7:44 pm

With Trump having fired Darroch, a very reasonable UK response would be to not name a replacement. Of course, “reasonable” hasn’t really been the hallmark of the current regime, but I’m sure that will be restored by Boris.
Nigel Farage would be a fine embarassadeur. He would hit the ground running.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On