SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

October 13th, 2019, 1:36 am

So, speaking to the "Values Voter Summit" today, Trump threatened to sue Schiff and Pelosi. Because, they don't make him look good. Trump's attorney Jay Sekulow told CNN the President's legal team is "looking at all options" after Trump floated the possibility of a lawsuit against Schiff and Pelosi. 
That's the polite version of, well you don't have a snowball's chance in hell to win this suit, but it may still play well in Podunk.

Cuchulainn

October 14th, 2019, 4:29 pm

So, the Kurds have been betrayed by the Yanks and the British.

bearish

October 14th, 2019, 5:31 pm

As far as Yanks go, they were really betrayed by a unilateral decision by Trump, against advice and without consent. This is what happens when all the grown-ups have been thrown out of the room.

bearish

October 16th, 2019, 1:20 am

I think we need to go biblical or perhaps borrow from Hieronymus Bosch to come up with the proper treatment of Trump. Sadly, the best we can do is removal from office by impeachment followed by a criminal trial for treason and death by hanging. Which is a pretty weak remedy...

bearish

October 17th, 2019, 2:25 am

We are going to enter difficult terrain. At what point do you decide that it is unreasonable and/or inhuman to execute an imbecile? Todays meeting in the WH showed Trump at his worst, or close thereto. 

katastrofa

October 17th, 2019, 3:24 am

Isn't it ironic that can take as little as a bacon sandwich to ruin a decent person's career, but in the case of Trump foreign interfering, sexual harassment and corruption are not enough.

Paul

October 17th, 2019, 3:43 am

I met a bacon sandwich-eating politician, possibly the same one, for all of five seconds. It was more than enough time to tell that he was missing that part of the brain used for interacting with humans. Maybe that part is next to the part that eats bacon sandwiches?

I am sure he was decent. Just really weird.

katastrofa

October 17th, 2019, 4:39 am

He seems to be a bright well-formed politician - perhaps comes across as weird next to Corbyn and Abbot. I basically agree with what he says: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufy6S0lIrik
(I found the bacon sandwich story quite disturbing. He's of Jewish heritage, his mother escaped the death from the German hands in the region of Poland where almost no Jews survived. I can bet the lowlife who came up with that photo had that in mind.)

Paul

October 17th, 2019, 7:52 am

Am sure he is bright. He's just not all there.

I remember saying to some Leftie friends of mine (typical of the type, very, very rich, one a judge, the other worked for the BBC) before the Labour leadership that I hoped EM would win because he would be unelectable as PM. That worked out nicely. 

But I also voted for Corbyn in the Labour leadership elections for the same reason. Although I have to say that got a bit hairy for a while!

Oh, and it being bacon is only relevant in that it gives conspiracy theorists something to chew on! (Not you, Kat, obvs!)

Cuchulainn

October 17th, 2019, 10:13 am

Sir Bernard Jenkins on Newsnight mistook Gavin Estler for Mark Urban.
He's in a time warp. He's not a great debater. Give me Arlene Foster any day.

BTW how many "Lefties" (as you affectionately call them) know about tungsten carbide drills, what?

www.dailymotion.com/video/x2q1ojy

Alan
Topic Author

October 23rd, 2019, 6:45 pm

To use Peggy Noonan's correct prediction of a week ago, I think this opening statement indeed pushes the  Impeachment Needle:

Taylor opening statement

My read. was Trump lying when he said there was no "quid pro quo". I'd say, technically, "no -- not lying". He likely wanted one initially, but cooler heads prevailed and talked him out of it. They also counseled the Ukrainians not to cave. The security assistance funds were released without a commitment by Ukraine to investigate Burisma and Hunter Biden. Absolutely worth a censure from Congress.  

bearish

October 24th, 2019, 1:31 am

So nobody in their right mind would believe what Trump's personal lawyer and Republican congressmen did today (I don't know that there were any women, but I could be wrong -- edit, there may have been three or four women). The lawyer claimed that there was no crime the president could be investigated for, or prevented from committing, by law enforcement while in office. The specific hypothetical in question was murdering people on 5th Avenue. It would be OK to investigate him once he was not in office, so no permanent immunity, but absolute immunity while a sitting president. Meanwhile, Republicans not on the relevant committees physically stormed the closed door impeachment hearings to try and stop them, after discussing the matter with Trump, who endorsed their actions. Because, if he is impeached and removed from office he may actually be tried for his capital offenses. We are very close to becoming Venezuela. 

ISayMoo

October 24th, 2019, 10:35 pm

Paul

October 24th, 2019, 10:37 pm

I thought that was going to be an Arnie story.

ISayMoo

October 24th, 2019, 11:13 pm

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On