SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

March 2nd, 2020, 5:28 pm

I’m guessing he will wait until after we have the result of tomorrow’s races and pick either Biden or Bloomberg, based on perceived viability against Sanders.
any vote botton on the bloomberg terminal? or not implemented yet? with block orders I assume!

voting from home would make sense in Covid-times! (if u want too mobilize home-sitters)
VOTE <go> is not a thing (at least yet), but on a hunch I tried MIKE <go> and that launches his profile page.

bearish

March 2nd, 2020, 7:42 pm

Word on the street is that both Buttigieg and Klobuchar are backing Biden.

Collector

March 2nd, 2020, 8:35 pm

tomorrow crazy tuesday or something. If Quid Pro Joe wins he likely has bigger chance against Former President Donald Trump than crazy Bernie, also Mr Billion B can not be excluded yet, he was going to throw some $10m+ add during the show, nor can we totally exclude the Pocahontas thing, and yes looks like Alfred E. Neuman will be backing Sleepy Joe. GB (divide et impera), Russia, Norway, Corona and many others will naturally try influence, they all have their candidate!

Must the Show Go On! Must the Best Equation Win!

Paul

March 3rd, 2020, 7:52 am

When did “Going back to the Dark Ages” get the makeover to “Progressive”?

trackstar

March 3rd, 2020, 10:06 am

Yes, it is Super (crazy!) Tuesday and I am up early - the polls open at 7 am and I want to be First In and First Out, just like the inventory lecture in Accounting 101.

Also to see European markets action today - what a wild ride in US yesterday.

trackstar

March 3rd, 2020, 10:33 am

With the consolidation of candidates happening now, pressure now on Warren...

#WARRENENDORSEBERNIE Trends as Sanders Supporters Urge Warren to Drop Out and Endorse her Fellow Progressive - Newsweek March 2

"Warren, who on Saturday suffered a loss in South Carolina, is experiencing a low point in her candidacy after failing to secure high results in any of the first four contests ahead of Super Tuesday. Warren's polling numbers have been weakening in recent months as progressive voters have increasingly rallied around Sanders' campaign.

Klobuchar and Buttigieg's exit from the crowded field over the past 24 hours have shaken up the dynamics of the race. Their expected support for Biden, who secured a nearly 30-point victory in the South Carolina primary on Saturday, will likely propel the former vice president to become the leading candidate in the moderate lane. Although five candidates still remain in the Democratic primary, strategists say it's already become a head-to-head matchup."

trackstar

March 3rd, 2020, 12:21 pm

Report from the front lines of Super Tuesday!

About 50 people were lined up at Town Hall in this little town before the voting booths opened at 7 am.

The ballot still shows Buttigieg and Klobuchar, so it is fair and good that they have let people know that a vote for them will likely become a vote for Biden.

One thing no one has mentioned here is voter turnout for these primaries - the US is usually not that great, compared to some of the European democracies.
If we hit 55-60% turnout or more, that's really strong interest.

Last thought for the morning - the song that came to mind as I walked back down Main Street: "Standing on the pavement, thinking about the government..."

Presidential Election (Subterranean) Homesick Blues

bearish

March 3rd, 2020, 2:41 pm

About 50 people were lined up at Town Hall in this little town before the voting booths opened at 7 am.

The ballot still shows Buttigieg and Klobuchar, so it is fair and good that they have let people know that a vote for them will likely become a vote for Biden.
I don’t actually think that’s how it works. While there is some precedent for candidates dropping out directing “their” delegates to their favorite remaining candidate, any votes cast for Buttigieg or Klobuchar today are simply irrelevant to the race. They may of course have symbolic value, but it’s not like they’re going to be swept into the Biden bucket.

trackstar

March 3rd, 2020, 2:51 pm

I don’t actually think that’s how it works. While there is some precedent for candidates dropping out directing “their” delegates to their favorite remaining candidate, any votes cast for Buttigieg or Klobuchar today are simply irrelevant to the race. They may of course have symbolic value, but it’s not like they’re going to be swept into the Biden bucket.
Notice my use of the word likely....

A quick search yielded this fairly good explainer on what happens to the delegates:

Super Tuesday - What happens when.., ABC News

"...So when a candidate drops out of the race, they can either endorse another candidate and ask their delegates to support that candidate, or release their delegates, meaning they then become free agents. Since campaigns have a role in selecting delegates, they are generally considered loyal to the candidate they would have backed, and would be expected to listen to that candidate should they endorse another nominee.

However, because these delegates are real people, they are in no way obligated to follow anyone's directions, and other campaigns can and likely will try to convince them to back another campaign."

So, not a done deal, but some are likely to switch over to Biden.

Enjoy the show today, folks!

bearish

March 3rd, 2020, 3:13 pm

Hang on - there is no way either of the two will cross the 15% threshold in any state today so as to obtain any new delegates to direct. So, at least in that sense, the votes for them are irrelevant.

trackstar

March 3rd, 2020, 3:41 pm

Hang on - there is no way either of the two will cross the 15% threshold in any state today so as to obtain any new delegates to direct. So, at least in that sense, the votes for them are irrelevant.
Let me clarify with a hypothetical example.   This does not necessarily reflect my own voting choice, but could help close this out.

Let's say you are/were a Buttigieg supporter and planned to vote for him.  However, your second choice is not Biden (could be anyone else).

If you know that Buttigeig is out and his existing delegates will either go to Biden (or go their own way), then you may want to just vote directly for your number 2 choice.

Then you are avoiding the (even small risk) that he would pass the 15% threshold anywhere today.

Does this make sense now? If not, we can just agree to disagree on potential delegate dynamics in a race with attrition. 

It's interesting but kind of an arcane and complicated voting process as well.

Let's just see tonight if he indeed get 0 votes and 0 delegates.

bearish

March 3rd, 2020, 4:12 pm

Fair enough. I had just taken it to be a foregone conclusion that 15% was unreachable after having pulled out of the race, but maybe with lots of early votes already in place it is not inconceivable. Butt & Klob supporters with Bloomberg as their second choice would be the ones directly affected in that case.

trackstar

March 3rd, 2020, 5:16 pm

Fair enough. I had just taken it to be a foregone conclusion that 15% was unreachable after having pulled out of the race, but maybe with lots of early votes already in place it is not inconceivable. Butt & Klob supporters with Bloomberg as their second choice would be the ones directly affected in that case.
Yes.  

Early votes for B or K and also 1) voters who will use their vote to send a message via a candidate who did surprisingly well and has stepped down, and 2) voters who want to vote, but do not have a strong second or third choice in mind and will let the chips fall where they may (still being safe in the anyone but Sanders camp).

In other places, you see people voting for The Beer Drinkers Party (several varieties of that across a couple of countries in Europe). They're not expecting to have a role, even in the strangest coalition government imaginable, but they are expressing themselves.   

In the US, we have a few weird ("frivolous') parties too:   
Political humor aside, I was a state delegate in the late 1990s-early 2000s and saw how the sausage is made.  Very messy, sometimes spicy!

katastrofa

March 4th, 2020, 12:07 am

Looks like a voting card in the European Parliament elections.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On