Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

trackstar

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

December 16th, 2020, 12:39 am

Greetings. I have been meaning to follow up with you - since I won the funny bet we had about the election, we can look forward to an outrageous and delicious dinner some time next year (with family, of course!).

I'll offer another bet if you are interested.

I will bet that DT goes to Mar-a-Lago for Christmas and does not return to Washington.

Stakes? You name it - a bottle of the old Chateau de Chasselais?

You may have seen that the neighbors of Mar-a-Lago are telling him to spend his post-Presidency elsewhere, but that can be a different bet for a different time.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... elsewhere/

"Neighbors of Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump’s private club in Palm Beach, Fla., that he has called his Winter White House, have a message for the outgoing commander in chief: We don’t want you to be our neighbor. That message in a demand letter was delivered Tuesday to the town of Palm Beach and was addressed to the U.S. Secret Service, saying Trump lost his legal right to live at Mar-a-Lago because of an agreement he signed in the early 1990s when he converted the storied estate from his private residence to a private club. The legal maneuver could force Palm Beach to publicly address whether Trump can make Mar-a-Lago his legal residence and home, as he has been expected to do, when he becomes an ex-president after the swearing-in of Joe Biden on Jan. 20..."

Anyway, I have talked with some old school friends (Deep State types hehe) and I think we are going to be ok.
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

bearish

December 16th, 2020, 2:29 am

OK - I need to check back on the terms of our earlier bet, but I’ll take the other side of this one. Since you recently confessed to a weakness for Champagne, let’s make it for a reasonably nice bottle of such (not so much Cristal or Dom Perignon as the sort of stuff you may keep “in a pretty cabinet”).

trackstar

December 16th, 2020, 3:17 am

Well the idea with a Biden win was that I was going to have a celebratory dinner in the city, so not the normal betting payoff. But it was a cheerful thought in a grim time during the election cycle.

It may have to be a rather long-dated option now though, as I am not crossing any state borders except for New Hampshire these days and for the months to come.

On champagne - sounds good. But it's not a weakness - it's a strength!  Once or twice a month, a nice bottle to sip over the course of a weekend.

Further reason for good spirits tonight:

Mitch finally gave up: https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/15/politics ... index.html

The light at the end of tunnel is getting brighter!
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

bearish

December 18th, 2020, 2:31 am

As could have been expected, Trump’s people are thoroughly fucking up the vaccine distribution. Like, let’s just have a few more tens of thousands of Americans die, because we’re stupid and we don’t care. Pfizer and people across all states are mystified by the federal government’s inability to do anything useful in this regard.

SWilson

December 18th, 2020, 3:28 pm

As could have been expected, Trump’s people are thoroughly fucking up the vaccine distribution. Like, let’s just have a few more tens of thousands of Americans die, because we’re stupid and we don’t care. Pfizer and people across all states are mystified by the federal government’s inability to do anything useful in this regard.
So what exactly did the Trump administration f*** up?  They gave the power to the States to decide who gets the vaccine first.  The only thing the feds did was allocate the total amount of vaccines based on the total population of each state which I think is pretty fair.  Would you rather Trump himself decide who gets it?

bearish

December 18th, 2020, 6:13 pm

So what exactly did the Trump administration f*** up?  They gave the power to the States to decide who gets the vaccine first.  The only thing the feds did was allocate the total amount of vaccines based on the total population of each state which I think is pretty fair.  Would you rather Trump himself decide who gets it?

Umm - not providing Pfizer shipment instructions for millions of dozes and then blaming some unspecified production delays at Pfizer for the slow pace of distribution. I’m guessing OAN didn’t report on that...

SWilson

December 19th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Umm - not providing Pfizer shipment instructions for millions of dozes and then blaming some unspecified production delays at Pfizer for the slow pace of distribution. I’m guessing OAN didn’t report on that...
General Gustave Perna made a statement apologizing for a miscommunication between the Feds and the States about the allocation of the vaccines.  Whether or not this actually caused the states to not get their doses is unclear, but may have.  However, the point is, it's the first week or so of distribution I would expect some hiccups along the way.  The fact that we even have a vaccine in the same year the pandemic broke is absolutely amazing.   The same people you're calling stupid and non-caring are the ones that Orchestrated Operation Warp Speed to begin with.  So let's focus on the positive shall we?  

bearish

December 19th, 2020, 11:52 pm

Well, I guess focusing on the positive is a reasonable perspective. Although it’s not like Operation Warped had much to do with the development of the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine. Their only role is meant to be its distribution, which has been less than smooth so far. And, of course, there is the small matter of the disease killing 3,000 Americans every day, which is totally ignored by Nero, who is busy fiddling and protesting all those black and brown people who were suddenly allowed to vote against him. Like, every single tweet over the course of a week was ignoring the pandemic. Because, you know, it’s not real. And the Proud Boys don’t like to wear masks.

bearish

December 20th, 2020, 1:51 am

So the fucker tweeted tonight: “We don’t want to have lockdowns. The cure cannot be worse than the problem itself!”

For clarity, Trump believes that spending the next few weeks restricted to limiting social interaction is worse than dying from Covid. Because, you know, he is an idiot. And, more precisely, he is an evil idiot. With unlimited powers because he is PRESIDENT! That makes him special. Society should have a way to deal with people like him, but we don’t.

Cuchulainn

December 20th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Rudy has a new movement: BHM == Black Hair Matters.

SWilson

December 21st, 2020, 9:31 pm

Really taking the high road on this thread.

Cuchulainn

December 22nd, 2020, 12:25 am

It's hard to follow and still keep a straight face.

bearish

December 22nd, 2020, 1:30 am

So, you are what, advocating respect for the office, if not necessarily the occupant?

SWilson

December 22nd, 2020, 3:37 am

So, you are what, advocating respect for the office, if not necessarily the occupant?
As far a Trump as a person, he could be a clinical narcissist egomaniac for all I know.  But who cares?  It's kind of like the ol' Gordon Gekko quote, "greed is good".  If Trump sees the country, even as an extension of himself, and wants the best for it, everyone should win.  The problem is what he says and how he presents himself.  I think he's done a lot of great things like.......The Mission and VA Choice  Act, The First Step Act, he worked with the FDA to lower generic drug costs, he lowered taxes across the board, he brokered the peace agreements between Israel, Sudan, the UAE and Bahrain, he's bringing home troops from Iraq and Afghanistan, Operation Warp Speed and SPAAAAAACCCCCCE FORRRCCCCCE. (did he actually save lives?!)

What wound up playing out the past 4 years is Karpman's Drama Triangle, where there is a Victim a Hero and a Villain.  Trump became public enemy numero uno, mostly from his own lack of tact and probably self awareness.  Everyone needs someone or something to blame for a feeling of control when in fact most things are uncontrollable.  Even though Biden seems so sweet and innocent and would give you a werther's original while he gently swings in his rocking chair, he will become the new lightning rod, only after they stop blaming Trump which will probably be a while.  

bearish

December 22nd, 2020, 3:57 am

Wow - pretty eloquent for a Proud Boy! Pol Pot did some pretty great things, too, right?

On a less serious note, my taxes certainly went up by tens of thousands of dollars, but that is not actually all that important. Just annoying, especially when intellectual flees insist that the Don reduced taxes.
ABOUT WILMOTT

Wilmott

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On