SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish

Re: Are you ready for Brexit?

July 27th, 2019, 1:22 am

Alright, but why Ugli Patel? Or are we-Brexiters supporting death penalty?
Well, obviously that is part of the package, but Ugli also has a not-so-Priti history of violating ethics codes for collecting lots of money from dubious sources. Emoluments, as we would say about Trump... 

Paul
Topic Author

July 27th, 2019, 1:39 am

I thought most Brits were in favor of the death penalty. That’s why there’ll never be a referendum on it. Well, that used to be the thinking. But that was before the know-betters decided to ignore a referendum result.

My preference would be to throw some people in a deep pit and leave them there. Second would be to lock them up cheaply. Those don’t seem to be available options. So beheading is next best.

ISayMoo

July 27th, 2019, 10:29 am

2nd option is what we're doing now (underfunded prisons). Doesn't seem to help reduce crime, quite the opposite.

katastrofa

July 27th, 2019, 10:59 am

Considering many people contributing to my genetic makeup managed to escape different sorts of death penalty, I could support the death penalty as a way of natural selection. I'm only not sure if people who weren't born instead of me wouldn't be more fit.

Her ugliness coincidentally makes her a good foot-in-the-door at the White House. Strategic nomination. Sniff!

On the good side, new DEFRA dudette recognises the concept of animal welfare and (at the moment) supports hunting ban. I hope she will change her mind about the badger cull - after all, Boris promised to respect science. The countrysiders should organise more places like the nature reserve in Elmley if they want us to pay the levy. Obvsly, it's easier to go and spill some blood and lead on the ground.

katastrofa

July 27th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Jacob Rees-Mogg: Is he right to ban these words? (Yes, he is.)
He brutally dealt with "due to", but that was the only way to stop the widespread abuse.

bearish

July 27th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Insisting on double space after full stop should go along with a requirement that only manual typewriters be allowed.

ISayMoo

July 27th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Yes, because it's a relic from exactly that era: https://www.writing-skills.com/one-space-two-full-stop
Not really that ambitious for a Member for the XVIIIth Century. He should demand "a finger’s width between words, a thumb’s width between sentences".

Paul
Topic Author

July 27th, 2019, 10:43 pm

2nd option is what we're doing now (underfunded prisons). Doesn't seem to help reduce crime, quite the opposite.
Perhaps our definitions of “cheaply” differ.

Paul
Topic Author

July 27th, 2019, 10:44 pm

He brutally dealt with "due to", but that was the only way to stop the widespread abuse.
“Gotten,” “like” and “awesome” all still permitted.

bearish

July 27th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Not to mention "gnarly, dude!" But that may be a tad much West Coast for the Rees-Mogg.

Cuchulainn

July 28th, 2019, 12:05 pm

“Gotten,” “like” and “awesome” all still permitted. 
Donald Trump uses them all the time. We are where we are. These words are not fit for purpose, going forward.

The American and archaic or regional dialects of British usage of the verb conjugates as get-got-gotten or as get-got-got depending on the meaning (see Usage notes on "get" for details), whereas the modern British usage of the verb has largely lost this distinction and conjugates as get-got-got in most cases except, sometimes, where the speaker wants to emphasise getting something. There is an increased usage of gotten in the UK, which may be due to influence from American films and increased access to American programmes in Britain. However, it is still less common than the get-got-got conjugation. 

AFAIK the following is acceptable: ill-gotten gains.
And of course, don't forget beget.

Cuchulainn

October 31st, 2019, 6:59 pm

Checking into KLM flight today to UK ... they want all your passport data ...
The Dutch are ready, as always.

Paul
Topic Author

October 31st, 2019, 8:07 pm

Trick: Cuch has to show his passport vs. millions of working class on lower incomes. Is this a trick question?!

Or

Treat: Try visiting places outside the EU. You’ll need your passport. And you’ll even meet people with different skin colours!

Gamal

October 31st, 2019, 8:55 pm

Inside the EU too.

katastrofa

October 31st, 2019, 9:27 pm

I have 3 passports (none of them Ukrain) and travel regularly between the three countries. I sometimes use a wrong passport by mistake. In Poland it's always a problem. In another country it's sometimes a problem. In the UK it's never been a problem.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On