SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

January 8th, 2019, 4:14 pm

EU motel: countries check in, they don't check out.
Is this a monolog interior?
it's like the Hotel California

Cuchulainn

January 8th, 2019, 4:15 pm

EU motel: countries check in, they don't check out.
Is this a monolog interior?
it's like the Hotel California
LOL
Or like Kafka's hotel.

ppauper

January 8th, 2019, 4:16 pm

I noticed on twitter that a lot of people are saying that leavers were tricked by the Leave campaign. Not a single person that I can see has noted that, er, perhaps the remainers have been tricked by a Channel 4 mockumentary. Self awareness is a rare and precious thing. If you have it treasure it, for you are blessed.
Leavers were tricked by the Leave campaign. They thought that voting leave meant the UK would actually leave the EU
"You get the politicians you deserve."
You promised a wall but where's the wall?
I'm with you, we need a wall

ISayMoo

January 8th, 2019, 4:23 pm

In Ceuta.

Paul
Topic Author

January 8th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Try outside the M25, e.g. Morpeth as random example. I pass it every year and EU gives grants up there for roads.
That would be an example of UK taxpayers giving millions to the EU and them generously giving us a fraction back? With no obligation to continue. 

I'll send you my bank details, you send me a few hundred grand and I'll give you some back. Deal?
There's one born every minute! 
A hypothetical question. I'm just relaying what the good people of Morpeth and evirons think of the project.
It's the perception what's important now. How much will Morpeth get from Westminster after BREXIT?
The clue is in their name. (Although I don't know how many peths to the pound.)

Cuchulainn

January 8th, 2019, 4:32 pm

I'll send you my bank details, you send me a few hundred grand and I'll give you some back. Deal?
Ok. it's a deal  Only if you promise not to spend it all in the one shop.

ppauper

January 8th, 2019, 4:32 pm

In Ceuta.
they've already got a fence, but they need something higher and harder to scale

bearish

January 8th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Since you people are discussing the wall here (slightly OT), Trump is indeed getting ready to set aside a recalcitrant congress and just build the wall on his own imperial authority, in the name of a national security crisis. It may in fact be a national security crisis, but only inasmuch as the constitutional democracy is under threat from Trump.

Cuchulainn

January 8th, 2019, 5:20 pm

In Ceuta.
they've already got a fence, but they need something higher and harder to scale

ppauper

January 8th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Since you people are discussing the wall here (slightly OT), Trump is indeed getting ready to set aside a recalcitrant congress and just build the wall on his own imperial authority, in the name of a national security crisis. It may in fact be a national security crisis, but only inasmuch as the constitutional democracy is under threat from Trump.
the term you were looking for is "executive authority," and this isn't something the president has just thought up. Conservative pundits suggested it during Bush 2 for example

bearish

January 8th, 2019, 7:53 pm

the term you were looking for is "executive authority," and this isn't something the president has just thought up. Conservative pundits suggested it during Bush 2 for example
Well, we have at least one Harvard Law school professor with expertise in constitutional law (Noah Feldman) stating on record that not only can’t Trump lawfully do it, but that it by itself would amount to high crimes and misdemeanors on his part.

ISayMoo

January 8th, 2019, 10:55 pm

"Conservative pundits" is a synonym for "bizarre ignorants".

ppauper

January 8th, 2019, 10:56 pm

and we had the incoming House Armed Services Committee Chairman Rep. Adam Smith, D-Washington, say that "unfortunately" the president does have the authority to call a national emergency over border security
“Unfortunately, the short answer is yes. There is a provision in law that says the president can declare an emergency. It's been done a number of times. But primarily it's been done to build facilities in Afghanistan and Iraq."

rmax

January 9th, 2019, 1:57 pm

and we had the incoming House Armed Services Committee Chairman Rep. Adam Smith, D-Washington, say that "unfortunately" the president does have the authority to call a national emergency over border security
“Unfortunately, the short answer is yes. There is a provision in law that says the president can declare an emergency. It's been done a number of times. But primarily it's been done to build facilities in Afghanistan and Iraq."
So for all the checks and balances that the US legal system has the president can still hold a country to ransom and declare complete monarchy. History suggests that such powers do not end well.

bearish

January 9th, 2019, 2:23 pm

History recalls how great a fall can be...

I find myself humming a lot of Supertramp recently (Crisis, What Crisis?; Soapbox Opera; Fool’s Overture; ... see the pattern?).
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On