SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

donal
Topic Author

Hull-White and skew

February 4th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Hi all,I'm just beginning to look at interest rate modelling, starting with Hull-White. I'm somewhat confused and wondered if anyone could shed any light on where my thinking is going wrong.As I understand it, you can calibrate the model to ATM swaption vols e.g. from VCUB on Bloomberg. Now, if I want to price a swaption with a strike away from the ATM forward rate, my thought is that I must need to factor in some sort of IR skew, but I don't understand how the HW model does this? I guess my thinking follows from how we would look at equity options i.e. I wouldn't price a 110% call on an equity with the ATM vol.Any thoughts would be appreciated.Cheers,Donal

mynetself

Hull-White and skew

February 4th, 2011, 4:27 pm

Kinda interested in the (general) topic myself. As I understand it, once you've calibrated your model to a certain set of financial instruments, that's it. If you then use it to price stuff, you should price the ones you used for calibration exactly, but everything else is a "prediction" of the model. Not much you can do about it.

Costeanu

Hull-White and skew

February 4th, 2011, 5:31 pm

Hi donal, Hull-White cannot match the skew. Generally for short-tenor swaptions the smile implied by Hull-White is closed to normal, and it tilts a bit for longer tenor, but you cannot manipulate it by playing with the model parameters. Well, technically you could for long-tenor swaptions, by playing with the speed of mean reversion, but you shouldn't attempt to do that at home This is a price you have to pay for having closed form formulas for zero-coupon bonds. There are two ways out of this: either use out-of-model adjusters (search for Hagan adjusters) or use a model that has smile. The two models that have smile and also closed-form zero-coupon bonds are the quasi-Gaussian model (a.k.a. Cheyette) and the quadratic Gaussian model. The first is a straightforward generalization of HW, but you pay a price in the number of state variables. The second is again a generalization of HW, where you add a quadratic term, as the name implies. However, it requires some thougth to get familiar with. Of course, there are models without closed-form ZCB; you calculate the ZCB's on the grid using backward induction. Best,V.

Cuchulainn

Hull-White and skew

February 4th, 2011, 6:12 pm

QuoteOf course, there are models without closed-form ZCB; you calculate the ZCB's on the grid using backward induction. Using a binomial lattice?
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Costeanu

Hull-White and skew

February 4th, 2011, 7:04 pm

I suppose a binomial tree works. In general people use trinomial trees, or more advanced trees (willow and SALI). You can probably use Crank-Nicolson as well, or some other finite difference scheme.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On