SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

sudarshankumar
Topic Author

Kalman filter stability problem

December 3rd, 2013, 8:40 pm

While implementing Klamna filter some times matrix become singular. After searching internet I came to know Josef form of Klaman filter can mitigate that.Just wanted to know how to implement thatWill replacing old quantion (InitVarY=(I-KalmanGain*H)*VarY; with new one InitVarY=(I-KalmanGain*H)*VarY*(I-KalmanGain*H)'+ KalmanGain*R*KalmanGain'; will be sufficient ??or do i need to edit some other equantion as well

OOglesby

Kalman filter stability problem

December 3rd, 2013, 10:39 pm

There can be several places and several reasons why a matrix can become singular. Unless the model used is truly linear, your process noise matrix, Q, should not be all zeros. For nonlinear models, having even small non-zero values on the diagonal of Q can help prevent singular matrices from forming and it helps ensure that the filter does not ignore the measurements.Another place to be careful is the calculation of the Kalman gain: [$]\frac{VarY*H^T}{H*VarY*H^T + R}[$]. Do not explicitly compute inverse in this equation. Instead solve a system of equations (Ax=b) whereA=[$](H*VarY*H^T + R)^T[$]x=[$]KalmanGain^T[$]b=[$](VarY*H^T)^T[$]If your solver can handle solving (xA=b), then the outermost transposes can be removed.If your development language has symmetric matrices, then use it to represent InitVarY, VarY, R, and Q.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On