SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

JSHellen
Topic Author

Delta Hedging using actual volatility

June 13th, 2014, 8:12 pm

Bear with me folks, but I dont quite understand the mark-to-market profit formula on page 200 & 201 (especially). Correct me if I am wrong in my logic:First, at the beginning of day 0 you buy the option for [$]V^i[$] and use "actual" (the true underlying) volatility to determine the magnitude of the [$]\Delta^a[$] for the stock position. At the end of day 0 we must "Mark-to-Market" (= if we had liquidated our position at the end of day 0) so we look at the value portfolio and observe that the option has now value of [$]V^i + dV^i[$], stock pos is -[$]\Delta^a(S+dS)[$] and we ignore cash just for simplicity. So we made Mark-to-Market profit of:[$]\Pi_1-\Pi_0=(V^i + dV^i)-\Delta^a(S+dS) - (V^i- \Delta^aS)[$]=[$]dV^i-\Delta^adS[$]Now comes the part that I dont quite understand: The book continues and says "Since the option would be correctly valued at [$]V^a[$], we have:[$]dV^a-\Delta^adS=0[$]So we can write the mark-to-market profit over one time step as:[$]dV^i-dV^a[$]"This expression clearly is the difference in the change of the value of the portfolio with different [$]dV[$] values. But what is the economic reasoning behind taking this difference? The rest of the derivation seems to be logical.Thanks
Last edited by JSHellen on June 12th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nibekudos

December 8th, 2014, 12:34 pm

please, how can profit be made using from a accurate forecast volatility than that quoted by the market.

Alan

December 8th, 2014, 12:54 pm

the most direct trades are probably to go long/short VIX futures if you think you have some edge with SPX volatility beyond that alreadyreflected in the current futures prices. I strongly urge comprehensive backtesting and a close study of VIX settlement behaviors inthe stressed out markets of the financial crisis. Good luck!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On