SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

JSHellen
Topic Author

Vanna-Volga & Cramers Rule

March 23rd, 2015, 6:35 am

Hi,My question is related to the technicalities of arriving at the weights w1, w2 and w3 when applying the Vanna-Volga method. Castanga & Mercurio (2005) say that the solution for these weights may be found using the Cramer's Rule implying that the determinant of the "vega-vanna-volga"-matrix exists. The determinant is then defined as a sum of multiples of d1's and d2's. I believe that this is really the case (for at least reasonable strikes), but how one goes about proving it?Additionally, I am unable to collapse the sum to the multiple of ln-strikes. So do you guys have any intuition to guide me into the right direction. Full proof is not necessary, just a hint. ;) ! My hypothesis is that since we are dealing with d1s and d2s there is a simple way to use the normal-density identities to write the sum of multiples in a different way to reduce the summation into more intuitive form. However, I have a high tendency to over-complicate things and I am assuming the solution to this problem is far more simple.I took the equation (23) in their paper and used identity d2=d1-sigma*sqrt(T) and substituted into the sum in 23 which yields:(d1(K2))^2*[d1(K3)-d1(K1)]+(d1(K3))^2*[d1(K1)-d2(K2)]+(d1(K1))^2*[d1(K2)-d1(K3)]A=(d1(K2))^2 >0B=(d1(K3))^2 >0C=(d1(K1))^2 >0A*[d1(K3)-d1(K1)]+B*[d1(K1)-d2(K2)]+C*[d1(K2)-d1(K3)]A*[ln(K1/K3)/sigma*sqrt(T)]+B*[ln(K2/K1)/sigma*sqrt(T)]+C*[ln(K3/K2)/sigma*sqrt(T)]Now, it seems that the first term with A is negative and rest is positive. But this approach seems quite complicated..
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On