SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Collector
Topic Author

Hot Retro Games Programmed by Forum Members

March 11th, 2018, 2:18 pm

TORPEDO-1984
By The Collector
:shock: Dead Game Walking (again)!  :D

I though the game I programmed in 1984 was dead, but yes code survived in a magazine and now it is programmed into ZX spectrum emulator. Anyone can now Play one of the hottest computere games ever (?) (on their web browser): 

TORPEDO-1984 Total Retro Action Game!

if not understanding the Norwegian instructions they are simple p=backward,  o = forward, z=bombs. Black deep (learning) subs need two torpedos! Take out all subs and underwater bases and you Win!

I think this was the first time I worked with programming random numbers (random location of subs). I had done a program on economics/business earlier also in a magazine that did not utilize randomness.

How to get started:

Download the source code file (.z80 File) to Torpedo-84 from here Torpedo by the Collector

Go to the browser emulator here

Click the download button. Open the source code file. Next push R button for RUN, and you are up and going! Warning: Very addictive!! And amazing graphics if you are able to take out one of the under water bases! And if one want to read the code, one can look at it also here Torpedo Code  I uses USR graphics, Poke it straight into the memory (Deep Programming). 

I also made a much more complicated game with much better graphics, Metor, will see if I can find the code one day. To be raised from the dead make sure to take backup of your code!

If you find your keyboard response is slow it is because you use a modern computer. Keyboard respons in old computers much faster, likely around 30ms versus todays computers 100ms.

FaridMoussaoui

Re: Hot Retro Games Programmed by Forum Members

March 12th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Du her vunnet spilet

Traden4Alpha

March 12th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Nice!

I tried resurrecting some games for the Mac 128k using an emulator but it went very poorly. The 128k was so underpowered that game makers used a lot of hacks to get decent game play. Many of the resurrected games simply crashed the emulator and many of the others ran but had no speed regulation at all so that the emulated version of the game ran 10X too fast.

Collector
Topic Author

March 12th, 2018, 4:12 pm

FaridMoussaoui wrote:
Du her vunnet spilet

Congratulations!!! You have passed mission almost impossible! (Don't tell me u played only Vansklighets grad  1, Difficulty level 1 to 5, page 2. ;-)

Collector
Topic Author

March 12th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Traden4Alpha wrote:
Nice!

I tried resurrecting some games for the Mac 128k using an emulator but it went very poorly.  The 128k was so underpowered that game makers used a lot of hacks to get decent game play.  Many of the resurrected games simply crashed the emulator and many of the others ran but had no speed regulation at all so that the emulated version of the game ran 10X too fast.

so they did not think about robustness in their programming, I did mine in 1984 (on 48k) and works very well today. Robustness in the code!!! But then after all I mainly did war games, they should be robust! :D   :mrgreen:

Traden4Alpha

March 12th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Collector wrote:
Traden4Alpha wrote:
Nice!

I tried resurrecting some games for the Mac 128k using an emulator but it went very poorly.  The 128k was so underpowered that game makers used a lot of hacks to get decent game play.  Many of the resurrected games simply crashed the emulator and many of the others ran but had no speed regulation at all so that the emulated version of the game ran 10X too fast.

so they did not think about robustness in their programming, I did mine in 1984 (on 48k) and works very well today. Robustness in the code!!! But then after all I mainly did war games, they should be robust! :D   :mrgreen:
Apple did have very explicit robustness guidelines. They told application developers to never ever assume a specific microprocessor, clock speed, memory architecture, screen size, color depth, etc. It's one of the reasons Apple was able to switch from Motorola 68k to PowerPC and then to Intel chips with relative ease. But some app developers (the kind the cross streets on red lights) did not follow those guidelines.

(It could have been worse: so many IBM-PC apps couldn't even handle a faster clock speeds that PC makers had to include a front-panel switch to slow the clock down.)

outrun

March 12th, 2018, 6:44 pm

I like the readability of the source code! Must have been a lot of work? Was this in your student days?

Collector
Topic Author

March 12th, 2018, 6:46 pm

outrun wrote:
I like the readability of the source code! Must have been a lot of work?  Was this in your student days?

yes I went to high school in day time! Judo in evening, and programming and gaming at night.

Can a computer game be alive without being inside a computer? for many many years I am sure Torpedo not was on a single computer, not playing. Then here it waked up from the dead?  But the computer game itself cannot know it was just resurrected, it think it was just born?

Traden4Alpha

March 12th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Collector wrote:
outrun wrote:
I like the readability of the source code! Must have been a lot of work?  Was this in your student days?

yes I went to high school in day time! Judo in evening, and programming and gaming at night.

Can a computer game be alive without being inside a computer? for many many years I am sure Torpedo not was on a single computer, not playing. Then here it waked up from the dead?  But the computer game itself cannot know it was just resurrected, it think it was just born?
Good question!

There's at least four interesting cases:

1) If the game consists of read-only executable, then it won't know how long it slept nor how many copies of itself exist in the world.

2) If the game includes stored session data from each time it is played (continuously updated during game play), then it can check the stored timestamps to estimate sleep time but it won't know how many sibling copies are active.

3) If the game also includes some cryptographic link to home, then it could check with the central server to determine both sleep patterns and any active sibling copies.

4) If the game also includes entangled quantum pairs than perhaps it can assess not only itself and active siblings but also check for other sleeping siblings through entanglement.

outrun

March 12th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Interesting indeed. The Matrix! 

I've been experimenting with self-learning little bots and that also raises profound issues. One of them is really good at learning to play games, if I hooked it up to your game it would go mental, flush its memory, and start learning, and soon if would feel as a fish in the water, it'll demonstrate very intelligent behaviour.  But what would we be without our environment?  I can drop it in a different game and it will develop different behaviour. These robots show the principle of non-dualism!

Similar: I saw this video of girl who could dilate her pupils at will. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkk3Ck_3qLo
.. I thought "that's amazing!". She can control nerve signals that hook up to het pupil muscles! But how does one exactly control nerve signals? You need to trigger molecular chemical reactions.. That's mind over matter.. A more logical explanation is that the trigger was external, the friend in the video telling her to "do it". They nudged the flow in her head that's always kept at the edge of chaos.

Traden4Alpha

March 12th, 2018, 11:14 pm

The intelligent agent learns to adapt to its environment.

The hyper intelligent agent learns to create its environment.

And the hyper hyper intelligent agent learns to get other agents to do all this hard work of adaptation and environment creation.

(Are you sure that your little self-learning bot did not create you?)

Voluntary pupil dilation is more a case of mind over mind. That is, its a case of the conscious mind setting up the right feedback loop and initial triggers to learn to control it. For example, one might stare at a mirror and think either very relaxing thoughts or imagine a dark room to get a bit of dilation. Then practice, practice, practice until the brain rewires itself just enough to more directly connect the conscious mind to autonomic nervous system.

It's not unlike what biathlon athletes do to control their heartbeat and breathing for target shooting right after a sprint on cross-country skis.

rmax

March 22nd, 2018, 10:36 am

Consciousness is always interesting as it is undefined. We tend to think of everyone having the same level of consciousness but some people are more conscious than others.

Traden4Alpha

March 26th, 2018, 3:26 pm

rmax wrote:
Consciousness is always interesting as it is undefined. We tend to think of everyone having the same level of consciousness but some people are more conscious than others.
Consciousness isn't too hard to define and measure in terms of adaptive behavioral reactiveness to stimulus or the environment. And, yes, individuals (within and between species) do vary in measurable levels of consciousness.

But self-consciousness is much harder in that it involves the hidden variables of internal cognitive processes that are reflecting on internal cognitive processes of the organism and of other organisms. Testing and measuring self-consciousness seems to require assessing the outward behavior of the subject in ways that test the presence of the hidden variables that are self-consciousness. It's experiments such as discovering that birds such as scrub jays, blue jays, and Eurasian jays that steal food tend to relocate their cached food if they noted the presence of another blue jay when they first stored the food.

Cuchulainn

March 26th, 2018, 3:46 pm

Traden4Alpha wrote:
rmax wrote:

Consciousness isn't too hard to define and measure in terms of adaptive behavioral reactiveness to stimulus or the environment. And, yes, individuals (within and between species) do vary in measurable levels of consciousness.

But self-consciousness is much harder in that it involves the hidden variables of internal cognitive processes that are reflecting on internal cognitive processes of the organism and of other organisms.  Testing and measuring self-consciousness seems to require assessing the outward behavior of the subject in ways that test the presence of the hidden variables that are self-consciousness.  It's experiments such as discovering that birds such as scrub jays, blue jays, and Eurasian jays that steal food tend to relocate their cached food if they noted the presence of another blue jay when they first stored the food.

Blue jays know what proxies are; my cottage chimney was stuffed with blue razors and clothes pegs last year.

Traden4Alpha

March 26th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
Traden4Alpha wrote:
rmax wrote:

But self-consciousness is much harder in that it involves the hidden variables of internal cognitive processes that are reflecting on internal cognitive processes of the organism and of other organisms.  Testing and measuring self-consciousness seems to require assessing the outward behavior of the subject in ways that test the presence of the hidden variables that are self-consciousness.  It's experiments such as discovering that birds such as scrub jays, blue jays, and Eurasian jays that steal food tend to relocate their cached food if they noted the presence of another blue jay when they first stored the food.

Blue jays know what proxies are; my cottage chimney was stuffed with blue razors and clothes pegs last year.
I'm not surprised. Corvids (crows, ravens, jays, & magpies) are extremely smart, tool making creatures that have been shown to: make plans about the future (e.g., what to save from lunch tomorrow as a function of what food is available today), pass the mirror test, and count.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...